Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virginia wins 62-51. The 14-2 run at the end of 1st half being the difference.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Unless Roy "makes some adjustments" the burnt orange will be burnt toast.
    Halftime: Syracuse 34, Carolina 28.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Leonard Hamilton just got a 5-year contract extension. I saw a comment that said he was top 10 coach the last 5 years. I feel that Hamilton is a good coach but saying he's top 10 is very, very generous. What say DBR?
    Not a statistical analysis at all, but since some fans like to look at cold hard postseason results, I compiled the NCAA Tournament records of various head coaches for the past 5 seasons. Keep in mind that "the past 5 seasons" includes the current season and last year's pandemic season, so this is only the 2017, 2018, and 2019 NCAA Tournaments. I looked at every head coach who made at least one Sweet 16 in those three years, and listed all coaches with at least 3 wins.

Mark Few, Gonzaga 10-3
    Roy Williams, UNC 9-2*
    Bill Self, Kansas 9-3
    (John Beilein, Michigan 9-3)
    Jay Wright, Villanova 8-2*
    Chris Beard, Texas Tech 8-2
    Tony Bennett, Virginia 7-2*
    Mike Krzyzewski, Duke 7-3
    Matt Painter, Purdue 7-3
    Dana Altman, Oregon 6-2
    Leonard Hamilton, Florida State 6-3
    Tom Izzo, Michigan State 6-3
    Bruce Pearl, Auburn 5-2
    Michael White, Florida 5-3
    Porter Moser, Loyola Chicago 4-1
    Frank Martin, South Carolina 4-1
    Bob Huggins, West Virginia 4-2
    Chris Mack, Xavier/Louisville 4-3
    Scott Drew, Baylor 3-2
    Kelvin Sampson, Houston 3-2
    Bruce Weber, Kansas State 3-3

*Won the 2017, 2018, or 2019 championship. For everyone else, the number of losses tells you the number of tournaments they made.

Leonard Hamilton is tied for 11th above, but when you remove the inactive John Beilein, he's tied for 10th. You can also question whether 6-2 Dana Altman is really ahead of 6-3 Leonard Hamilton. He missed the 2018 tournament, but he won as many games in fewer tournaments, and made the 2017 Final Four.

Anyway, this is another way of saying that Hamilton is right there in Top 10 territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Virginia wins 62-51. The 14-2 run at the end of 1st half being the difference.
    Virginia is still not right. Without major improvement on both ends of the court over what they've done in the last 4 games, they'll lose at Louisville on Sat and be pretty unlikely to advance more than 1 round in the ACCT.

Ever since teams went to sticking on shooters and forcing Clark and others to drive and finish, the O has been broken. The D has been less than stellar all year, but has REALLY been bad as of late. I have no answer there. Just a TON of missed assignments/responsibilities. Not much time to figure it out, but hopefully only one game from now to next Thur means plenty of practice time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Virginia is still not right. Without major improvement on both ends of the court over what they've done in the last 4 games, they'll lose at Louisville on Sat and be pretty unlikely to advance more than 1 round in the ACCT.

Ever since teams went to sticking on shooters and forcing Clark and others to drive and finish, the O has been broken. The D has been less than stellar all year, but has REALLY been bad as of late. I have no answer there. Just a TON of missed assignments/responsibilities. Not much time to figure it out, but hopefully only one game from now to next Thur means plenty of practice time.
    Agree. They had some hot shooting in the first half, but managed only 21 points in the 2nd half. I hope they do figure things out (until/unless they play Duke in the ACC Tourney), but I'm not sure the talent level is there this year.

Watching Syracuse-Cheats.

Buddy Boeheim is pretty good. Looks like the All American neighbor boy from a 60's sitcom

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Watching Syracuse-Cheats.

Buddy Boeheim is pretty good. Looks like the All American neighbor boy from a 60's sitcom
    His name is super fun to say too.

Why are you guys watching two schools we can't stand when the Zions are on?

Buddy is turning into Bootsie.

Syracuse tried their best to give it away.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    If Cheats lose Saturday and 1st round of ACC; are theyNIT material?

I know I probably should not have rooted for the ‘Orange due to them being a bubble team, but I could not make myself pull for the cheats. Just not in my DNA. I just love it when the cheats get taken down😁

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    I know I probably should not have rooted for the ‘Orange due to them being a bubble team, but I could not make myself pull for the cheats. Just not in my DNA. I just love it when the cheats get taken down😁
    Never crossed my mind not to pull for the 'Orange'..

I guess there is an argument that this loss makes Carolina more desperate when they play us this weekend, but I think the intensity of the Duke-UNC rivalry sorta makes that moot. They were gonna play hard against us no matter what.

But, take care of some business against Ga Tech first...please!
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Buddy is turning into Bootsie.
    Buddy is going to play at the next level- kid has a beautiful jump shot.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Buddy is going to play at the next level- kid has a beautiful jump shot.
    Please o please God, tell me he's gonna have to do some time with the Greensboro Swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Please o please God, tell me he's gonna have to do some time with the Greensboro Swarm.
    Dad might retire and move down. He loves it down there.

Interesting decision by Syracuse to intentionally foul when up three with about 12 seconds left. Twice in the last two minutes UNC had gotten four point possessions by making a free throw, missing the second, getting the offensive board and hitting a three. Putting them at the line like that was potentially inviting disaster. Syracuse was outrebounded by 20 for the game, including 26-13 on the offensive end. Fortunately Love missed both free throws and Syracuse secured the board.

Oh yeah, Heels looked good.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Interesting decision by Syracuse to intentionally foul when up three with about 12 seconds left. Twice in the last two minutes UNC had gotten four point possessions by making a free throw, missing the second, getting the offensive board and hitting a three. Putting them at the line like that was potentially inviting disaster. Syracuse was outrebounded by 20 for the game, including 26-13 on the offensive end. Fortunately Love missed both free throws and Syracuse secured the board.

Oh yeah, Heels looked good.
    Agreed UC. I think that perhaps there was a miscommunication because even if your plan is to foul you don't do it in the backcourt with 11 seconds remaining. I am not sure it is the right play anyway with the cheats having two four-point plays that got them back in the game. Sure am glad he missed that first FT.

This is an interesting analysis and way to view the situation. I think I've been looking at FSU's March experiences and allowing that to cloud my judgement a little too much. Over 18 years as head coach, Hamilton has only had 8 NCAA Tournament appearances, one (soon to be two) regular season titles in the ACC, and one ACC Tournament Title. He's gone past the Sweet 16 just once in his coaching career. It is also true that last year was one of his best teams, so that really is flaw in the ointment if you're basing the analysis around March.
    Even in the tournament, over the last 5 years Hamilton has fared pretty well relative to other coaches.

Huggins, Williams, and Calipari have been done in by one really bad year. If we used a 10-year average, I don't think Hamilton would stack up as well against those guys. At any rate, Hamilton has been getting better as a coach.
    But that wasn't the claim. The discussion was whether or not he's been a top-10 coach over the last 5 years. Over the last 10 years (or longer)? I agree he's not a top-10 coach.

Agreed UC. I think that perhaps there was a miscommunication because even if your plan is to foul you don't do it in the backcourt with 11 seconds remaining. I am not sure it is the right play anyway with the cheats having two four-point plays that got them back in the game. Sure am glad he missed that first FT.
    On top of that, Syracuse also threw away an inbounds pass in the last two minutes leading to a turnover. That’s another reason why I don’t like the intentionally fouling strategy. UNC could have made both free throws (or even just the second), stolen the inbounds pass, and then won or tied it.