Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    "Binged" it?
    Like Ned Ryerson!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Len Elmore and Corey Alexander cannot be compared. Alexander's self-promoting is miserable to listen to. Elmore did not have any personal agenda that he was pushing. I personally thought he was fine - there are plenty who are better, but I didn't find him offensive.

I thought last night's announcers were quite good. Focused on the game, no long digressions, questioned the refs a few times on bad calls but didn't harp on it. There were still too many of the big graphics that take up a lot of the screen during game action while not providing much useful information, but that is not the announcer's fault.

After the game on ACC Network they interviewed one former player from each school. They had Kenny Anderson and Ryan Caldbeck. Caldbeck seems like a great guy and is a fine representative from Duke, but it was kind of amusing having him immediately follow one of the greatest players in ACC history.
    I don't think this was mentioned before here. I remember one recent game that Alexander was "color"... he mentioned that Henry Coleman was voted as the top 100 people from Virginia that people had to meet. He kept going on about how and why he wasn't on that list... after all, he was the most popular and influential (my take) person from Virginia. After that, I called it quits on Alexander.

https://sports.yahoo.com/dan-dakich-...231831564.html

ESPN declines to fire Dakich. I predict eventually they will, because Dakich isn't going to change his spots. He doesn't have a following because of his insightful announcing or honey-throated voice. He makes his living being an agitator, and IMO he clearly doesn't have a grasp of boundaries. He plays to meatheads in his audience (probably mostly IU fans), and of course there are some. But I believe the greater college basketball audience (as well as the ROW) doesn't think doxxing someone is cool. smh, I don't understand why he's kept on, except that ESPN can be a good ol' boys network.

I think the article is spot-on referring to the Shilling comparison. Like Dakich, he just couldn't resist being a jerk. Eventually, ESPN (or basically Disney) needed to fire him. The same will happen here. Just not now, I guess.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by kako View Post

ESPN declines to fire Dakich. I predict eventually they will, because Dakich isn't going to change his spots. He doesn't have a following because of his insightful announcing or honey-throated voice. He makes his living being an agitator, and IMO he clearly doesn't have a grasp of boundaries. He plays to meatheads in his audience (probably mostly IU fans), and of course there are some. But I believe the greater college basketball audience (as well as the ROW) doesn't think doxxing someone is cool. smh, I don't understand why he's kept on, except that ESPN can be a good ol' boys network.

I think the article is spot-on referring to the Shilling comparison. Like Dakich, he just couldn't resist being a jerk. Eventually, ESPN (or basically Disney) needed to fire him. The same will happen here. Just not now, I guess.

9F
    Here's a "Fair Use" quote from the Yahoo sports piece:
    Dan Dakich reportedly won't receive any punishment for his latest string of online run-ins, but his employers at ESPN have told him it's behavior they don't want to see going forward.

That was the word from the Indianapolis Star and Awful Announcing on Wednesday, a few days after Dakich again made headlines for his conduct on Twitter. While discussing the opt-out of Duke freshman Jalen Johnson, Dakich escalated disputes with a pair of professors, at one point going as far as doxxing one of them by reading out his office hours on his radio show.

Soon, Dakich's Twitter account was deactivated, then reactivated, then deactivated again, while ESPN announced it was investigating the matter. One professor said Dakich had "debased and violated" her while going after her on his show.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Its hard to believe that, with all the knowledgeable and interesting and personable basketball people out there, ESPN feels they have to hang on to this jerk. Really? Can't find anybody better than this? I truly dread him doing Duke games. I simply will watch the game on mute.

On the other hand, if the rationale is "at least he keeps people interested, good or bad," the evidence is that we are now closing in on 100 posts on this thread. . .

Best thing to do maybe is to just ignore this loudmouthed, uninformed meathead and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Its hard to believe that, with all the knowledgeable and interesting and personable basketball people out there, ESPN feels they have to hang on to this jerk. Really? Can't find anybody better than this? I truly dread him doing Duke games. I simply will watch the game on mute.

On the other hand, if the rationale is "at least he keeps people interested, good or bad," the evidence is that we are now closing in on 100 posts on this thread. . .

Best thing to do maybe is to just ignore this loudmouthed, uninformed meathead and move on.
    they have the numbers his content brings in. clearly it's more than whatever they're paying him.
    April 1

9F
    Unfortunately, I think there are plenty of people who like Dakich. He is "a man's man." Or something like that. I personally find him to be a miserable human being, both as an announcer and in the way he behaves away from ESPN. I was actually surprised about a week ago when he started crying on the air when discussing someone who had recently died (I think it was an announcer for Purdue). It was nice to see him soften up a bit.

Similarly, I think there is some sentiment that ESPN is primarily focused on how he behaves when he is on the air, and they give him more leash related to his non-ESPN endeavors. In this case, he went way too far so his non-ESPN behavior cast him in such a negative light and he was referred to in this bad publicity as "ESPN announcer Dan Dakich." That's when they really start to care.

Finally, I am curious as to when his contract expires. The season is almost over. They could ideally make a statement and not assign him to any more games this year. They have chosen not to do so. But if his contract expires after this season, they can also just choose not to renew him and be done with him.

As Tommy noted, announcing is a great gig. It is shocking that they can't find better people than Dakich, Corey Alexander, etc. to work games.

Coaches in hot water too

I don't know if these have been posted anywhere else, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Some coaches joining Dan Dakich in hot water.

Greg McDermott:
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-team

Jim Boeheim (again):
    https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ng-win-clemson

Lots of articles out there.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    I don't know if these have been posted anywhere else, but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Greg McDermott:

Jim Boeheim (again):

IMO it's about time for jim boeheim to think about moving on...though i thought that 10 years ago...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    IMO it's about time for jim boeheim to think about moving on...though i thought that 10 years ago...
    Yep I agree. And apparently so did Mike Hopkins!

Boeheim certainly does have a tendency to stick his foot in his mouth, and sound cranky doing it - Jalen Johnson, Greensboro’s ability to host the ACC Tourney, and many others.

FYI - Elmore

Since the question was asked, Elmore is still broadcasting - on the Big 10 network. Heard him do several games this season.

I, too, grew to be pretty anti-Vitale. But from everything I've read or heard, his work helping raise money for children with cancer goes above and beyond any expectation. So he gets a Get-Out-Of-kako's-List card.

Is he broadcasting anymore? I'd still put Cory Alexander ahead of him.

If Billy Packer was still doing color, I'd have him on the list. In addition to his on-air nonsense, the guy invests in vaping.

Yep I agree. And apparently so did Mike Hopkins!

Boeheim certainly does have a tendency to stick his foot in his mouth, and sound cranky doing it - Jalen Johnson, Greensboro’s ability to host the ACC Tourney, and many others.
    not to mention the violations that seem to conveniently slip his notice...
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Haha, nor would I expect you to. I get the sense that as journalism becomes entertainment, more and more "journalists" are adopting public personas that they know will drive the most clicks, discussion, etc., even if it's different from who they actually are. I think that's idiotic, considering, as you've so eloquently described, anyone you meet isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you're a jerk in public... you'll never get the chance to show your "real" persona if people don't want to engage with you.

I have no idea whether that's the case with Dakich... his last round of jerk behavior seems particularly egregious and makes me wonder whether his nice-guy, "dad in the stands" persona was the act and his public persona is the reality. Unless any of us want to become the dude's best friend, I'm guessing we'll never know!
    My theory only on Dakich's demeanor(though it likely predated his son's CBB career at UM/tOSU): he potentially feels like somewhat of a failure as a basketball FATHER, as his son Andrew severely underperformed similarly talented Wolverine teammate Spike Albrecht. Both kids were IBCA(Indiana Basketball Coaches Association)Honorable Mention All-State as Hoosier prepsters at well regarded public HS(Crown Point and Zionsville), but Spike took a post-graduate year in MA to better prepare himself for the rigors of CBB. As Wolverines(4 yrs for Spike/3 for Andrew), their differences in productivity are stunning:
    Minutes // Points // Assists // Turnovers

Spike 1922 // 453 // 235 // 73

Andrew 203 // 22 // 21 // 13

PLUS, add in Spike's FF heroics and Andrew's relative mediocrity as a 5th year Buckeye senior(ie, per 40 av. of ~6ppg). To his credit, Andrew Dakich was All-Big10 Academic all 3 years at UM which IS impressive.

With Dakich's long-term college coaching experience/connections/knowledge, it's not unreasonable (though purely speculative, of course) to think that he may rue the fact that Andrew was not a more productive college hoopster... I certainly would not pretend to understand Dan Dakich's thought processes.

Perhaps ScottDude8 could speak more knowledgeably about Spike's and Andrew's roles on those UM teams.
    "Play and practice like you are trying to make the team." --Coach K

Greg McDermott:

Jim Boeheim (again):

Well that escalated quickly. McDermott suspended:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...itive-comments
    Last edited by SavDukeGrad; 03-05-2021 at 12:24 AM.

Well that escalated quickly. McDermott:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...itive-comments
    as uconn's potential big east semifinal matchup...darn

I'm not sure he intended the remarks in bad faith...but you can't go there....
    April 1

I'm not sure he intended the remarks in bad faith...but you can't go there...
    No, you can't. But it's a bit weird that he apologizes and offers to resign, and instead they suspend him and declare that they're going to further sanction him in ways that won't be made public. I'm not sure I understand the point of that. Since he is evidently truly remorseful, shouldn't this be more of a teaching moment than a sanction moment? Retribution doesn't seem to make much sense in this situation, but perhaps I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    No, you can't. But it's a bit weird that he apologizes and offers to resign, and instead they suspend him and declare that they're going to further sanction him in ways that won't be made public. I'm not sure I understand the point of that. Since he is evidently truly remorseful, shouldn't this be more of a teaching moment than a sanction moment? Retribution doesn't seem to make much sense in this situation, but perhaps I'm missing something.
    this country has little room for forgiveness, and lots for wanting people to hurt for their transgressions. remember grayson allen?
    April 1

Greg McDermott:

Jim Boeheim (again):

LSU ex-coach Les Miles making the news, too.

this country has little room for forgiveness, and lots for wanting people to hurt for their transgressions. remember grayson allen?
    I dunno. It seems like an opportunity missed for an educational institution, but perhaps I'm just too much of a Pollyanna.

That result you describe - little forgiveness - seems a more common result among people who believe their views are the "truth" and others are apostates or worse. Tolerance is in low supply these days.