Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    For future reference. Whenever you start a sentence this way, Not to get ..., just go ahead and delete it. It is a mind trick to excuse what one knows is not acceptable in the first place. If you can't resist the political statement, just put the right disclaimer on it.
    I thought it was an odd way to lead off the sentence because the words that followed were apolitical.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Fair point. Remove the disclaimer. He represents toxic masculinity. Not a political statement - a statement of fact based on my extensive experience listening to and reading about him.
    ^ Bingo.

To defend CNC here as well, I don't see that disclaimer as trying to get around the rules, at all, but more as a concession that all sorts of things that never should have been mapped into a political binary have been. There's really very little that you can talk about in USA 2021 that doesn't at least peripherally touch the political binary, so we'd all like to follow the no-politics rule, but it's also nearly impossible to do it perfectly if anything with any social dimension whatsoever comes up. The Dakich business is a typical case.

Perhaps you'll see my post just upthead using 'toxic' while avoiding a noun after it, in an attempt to play by the rules and say more or less the same thing CNC did. I think it's safe to say just about all of us are trying our best.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Which of you DBR posters are the professors?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Which of you DBR posters are the professors?
    Only until I can hit the pension and run away screaming.

Well, pleased to say now I've followed Mellis and Kalman-Lamb and showered them with likes. So Dakich has succeeded in signal-boosting his bullying targets.

Does “Dakich” rhyme with “jock itch”? Just trying to be clear on pronunciation. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Does “Dakich” rhyme with “jock itch”? Just trying to be clear on pronunciation. Thanks.
    Priceless!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I just listened to the intro to his show, and that is correct.

By the way, that intro is all coaches throwing temper tantrums, except for AI's "practice."

Although I am partial to "Diddly-poo/playoffs."

Dr. Kalman-Lamb tweeted lashing out against a bunch of media heads including Seth Davis, Jeff Goodman, Dakich, etc. for "punching down on an unpaid college athletic laborer" like Jalen Johnson for his decision to opt out and Dakich took offense to that.

He then got into a heated debate with Dr. Johanna Mellis, a former collegiate swimmer, saying she doesn't know the sport like he does and she brought up her swimming accomplishments and suggested that Dakich and she "go at it in the pool" to which Dan thought it was inappropriate and said "he'd have to get divorced first".

Context is often lost online on social media, especially on Twitter, so its certainly a strange story.

I will say that anyone who insinuates that Duke did JJ wrong since he's "unpaid worker" seems to be off base to me. JJ agreed to come to Duke on a full ride scholarship with access to world class facilities and was given a platform to advertise his skills. He chose to forego that opportunity which is certainly within his right but lets not act like the decision had the best optics with the opt out coming towards the end of the season and him cleaning out his locker immediately after.

I side with Dakich and Seth on this JJ saga but now I would like to "opt out" of further Jalen Johnson discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeTrinity11 View Post
    Dr. Kalman-Lamb tweeted lashing out against a bunch of media heads including Seth Davis, Jeff Goodman, Dakich, etc. for "punching down on an unpaid college athletic laborer" like Jalen Johnson for his decision to opt out and Dakich took offense to that.

He then got into a heated debate with Dr. Johanna Mellis, a former collegiate swimmer, saying she doesn't know the sport like he does and she brought up her swimming accomplishments and suggested that Dakich and she "go at it in the pool" to which Dan thought it was inappropriate and said "he'd have to get divorced first".

Context is often lost online on social media, especially on Twitter, so its certainly a strange story.

I will say that anyone who insinuates that Duke did JJ wrong since he's "unpaid worker" seems to be off base to me. JJ agreed to come to Duke on a full ride scholarship with access to world class facilities and was given a platform to advertise his skills. He chose to forego that opportunity which is certainly within his right but lets not act like the decision had the best optics with the opt out coming towards the end of the season and him cleaning out his locker immediately after.

I side with Dakich and Seth on this JJ saga but now I would like to "opt out" of further Jalen Johnson discussions.
    Can we cut out this "JJ" stuff. That's Redick and only Redick.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I second this 1000%. I don’t understand how it all got started. As far as I know, he doesn’t go by JJ. Right?

But can we refer to him as "Johnson" or will he be confused with Patrick?

Hey CNC, this is a family website. 😉

Calling him Jalen should suffice. But I agree he absolutely should not be referred to as JJ.

perhaps his last name should be pronounced with a hard J? as Gone-son? sorry...probably in bad taste. I wish the man the best of luck in his future NBA endeavors...
    1200. DDMF.

My generation likes to take the shorthand approach but your point is well noted. There is only 1 JJ.

My generation likes to take the shorthand approach but your point is well noted. There is only 1 JJ.
    What about Jimmie Walker?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    I second this 1000%. I don’t understand how it all got started. As far as I know, he doesn’t go by JJ. Right?
    It's called "posting with extreme laziness".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

And it isn’t just you that is using JJ. I don’t want you to think we are picking on you or anything. I’ve seen many posters do it this year.

Of all the fights people have picked on this board, this might be the most ludicrous. It's just shorthand. No one actually calls the 45th President "DT," but people type it all the time.

Good thing Redick has all these keyboard warriors to defend his honor. 🙄