Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Len Elmore has to have at least cracked the top 67.
    And Billy Packer has to be in there too.

Full confession. I like Dakich. He's cranky and interesting. I don't agree with him on everything and he seems to have been both cranky and crazy in his dialogue on Jalen Johnson (sorry Throaty, he's not JJ).

He often has an interesting point of view and actually says something as opposed to many of the play by play or color guys we routinely see on Duke games

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Full confession. I like Dakich. He's cranky and interesting. I don't agree with him on everything and he seems to have been both cranky and crazy in his dialogue on Jalen Johnson (sorry Throaty, he's not JJ).

He often has an interesting point of view and actually says something as opposed to many of the play by play or color guys we routinely see on Duke games
    With that admission, I think you have to turn in your Duke fan card.

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    I would amend this only to add Vitale as a tie after #9
    I, too, grew to be pretty anti-Vitale. But from everything I've read or heard, his work helping raise money for children with cancer goes above and beyond any expectation. So he gets a Get-Out-Of-kako's-List card.

Quote Originally Posted by toughbuff1 View Post
    Len Elmore has to have at least cracked the top 67.
    Is he broadcasting anymore? I'd still put Cory Alexander ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And Billy Packer has to be in there too.
    If Billy Packer was still doing color, I'd have him on the list. In addition to his on-air nonsense, the guy invests in vaping.
    Last edited by kako; 03-02-2021 at 06:47 PM. Reason: combined replies into one post
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I'd wager that zero people in a discussion about a guy who left Duke three weeks ago are actually confusing that shorthand with a 16y veteran in the NBA.
    The first post was not such a discussion, or I would agree with you. When I read the first post, I was confused as to why Dakich was having problems with JJ Redick since I do not keep up to date on Dakich's ramblings. Only when I clicked the link did I see it was about Jalen Johnson.

Of the announcers in the rotation for our games this year, C.Alexander takes the Len Elmore Trophy. He is a complete idiot, and I can't believe he could have gone to Virginia. He talks about himself constantly, to the exclusion of the game. (Yeah, I know, Dickie V).When he is talking about the game, he is almost always wrong.

Here in St. Louis, we have been subjected (for decades) to a baseball announcer who has this same combined gift for idiocy and arrogance. His name is Al Hrabosky. Fortunately he has been relegated to post-game crap recently.

Anyway, Cory A. bugs me to death. I think I'd rather have a broadcast crew of Len Elmore and (insert name of your other favorite idiot here).

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Of the announcers in the rotation for our games this year, C.Alexander takes the Len Elmore Trophy. He is a complete idiot, and I can't believe he could have gone to Virginia. He talks about himself constantly, to the exclusion of the game. (Yeah, I know, Dickie V).When he is talking about the game, he is almost always wrong.

Here in St. Louis, we have been subjected (for decades) to a baseball announcer who has this same combined gift for idiocy and arrogance. His name is Al Hrabosky. Fortunately he has been relegated to post-game crap recently.

Anyway, Cory A. bugs me to death. I think I'd rather have a broadcast crew of Len Elmore and (insert name of your other favorite idiot here).
    As for Cardinal announcers, Mike Shannon who I believe is retiring as the radio voice for the Cards, get's on my nerves when I'm forced to listen to one of the games rather than watch it. He used to be a very good announcer but I believe he's put away too many Bud Lights over the years. He can't remember Cardinal player's names and will say there's a popup to the 2nd baseman or a fly ball to the outfield and the ball goes out of the park. I haven't heard Al on the broadcasts. The GOAT was Jack Buck. Miss him.

GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

Len Elmore is still using up his free passes -- he and Verne Lundquist broadcast the Duke-Kentucky 1992 game, and Len Elmore said afterwards that the game, which featured "The Shot," was even better than the NC-State-Maryland overtime ACC final in 1974, generally considered the best game in ACC history.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Len Elmore and Corey Alexander cannot be compared. Alexander's self-promoting is miserable to listen to. Elmore did not have any personal agenda that he was pushing. I personally thought he was fine - there are plenty who are better, but I didn't find him offensive.

I thought last night's announcers were quite good. Focused on the game, no long digressions, questioned the refs a few times on bad calls but didn't harp on it. There were still too many of the big graphics that take up a lot of the screen during game action while not providing much useful information, but that is not the announcer's fault.

After the game on ACC Network they interviewed one former player from each school. They had Kenny Anderson and Ryan Caldbeck. Caldbeck seems like a great guy and is a fine representative from Duke, but it was kind of amusing having him immediately follow one of the greatest players in ACC history.

I would think Rasputin would have more empathy for a Mad Hungarian.

(I remember him from the '70s against my Pirates)

Of the announcers in the rotation for our games this year, C.Alexander takes the Len Elmore Trophy. He is a complete idiot, and I can't believe he could have gone to Virginia.
    Almost anyone “could have gone to Virginia”! UVA tried desperately to get Moses Malone qualified. At the time, I saw a news broadcast (how many laws were broken?) of Malone’s three SAT attempts (IIRC, the average total was about 560) including one when he misspelled his name (filed in the wrong circles). Imagine, Malone then Sampson!

Of course, Lefty had no problem getting Malone into Maryland!
    Last edited by Jeffrey; 03-03-2021 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Give Lefty appropriate credit!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Almost anyone “could have gone to Virginia”!
    I love this. May I steal it?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    ...I thought last night's announcers were quite good. Focused on the game, no long digressions, questioned the refs a few times on bad calls but didn't harp on it. There were still too many of the big graphics that take up a lot of the screen during game action while not providing much useful information, but that is not the announcer's fault...
    Rece is dearly in love with his own voice. I said elsewhere that I would pay money to not hear the Johnson saga multiple times during the same game but that's just my own silly, girlish dream.

The other guy, apologies, should know his name, is legit. He's a keeper.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Screenshot_20210303-145236.jpg

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Y'all might start by googling "language prescriptivism."
    I accepted long ago, that most if not all of the posters on DBR are smarter than me. Just please tell me that I am not the only one who had to google it.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I love this. May I steal it?
    It’s yours, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    The first post was not such a discussion, or I would agree with you. When I read the first post, I was confused as to why Dakich was having problems with JJ Redick since I do not keep up to date on Dakich's ramblings. Only when I clicked the link did I see it was about Jalen Johnson.
    This also happened to me. I was genuinely confused until I read about the situation after seeing the first post in this thread.

I would note that I accept the explanation that Jalen is still bothered by his injury, and I think he made the correct decision given the pandemic restrictions for Duke players this year. So my confusion was not a result of my "trying as hard as possible to be offended" by anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I accepted long ago, that most if not all of the posters on DBR are smarter than me. Just please tell me that I am not the only one who had to google it.
    You are not the only one who Googled it. 😊

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    I didn't Google it.

I used Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    I didn't Google it.

I used Bing.
    "Binged" it?