Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Dan Dakich in hot water

ICYMI: I don't want to rehash the JJ decision, but it looks like Dan Dakich's propensity for picking fights might have finally caught up him... As a proud and recognized alumni of my Indiana high school, Dan has been amazing at getting local stories of ours some national attention, but his obsession with picking fights over the sports story of the day always seemed like a bad look to me. Toss in his distain for Duke athletics and it's been difficult to talk sports with him at the various events I've shared a drink or two with him.

As a quick recap, Dan took his usual hard stance on JJ and then actively went out of his way to pick fights on the subject, going after a lecturing fellow at Duke both on Twitter and on his radio program. It looks like his chickens may be coming home to roost:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...st/6863624002/

Well deserved, in my opinion. Not just for the current stuff.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    ICYMI: I don't want to rehash the JJ decision, but it looks like Dan Dakich's propensity for picking fights might have finally caught up him... As a proud and recognized alumni of my Indiana high school, Dan has been amazing at getting local stories of ours some national attention, but his obsession with picking fights over the sports story of the day always seemed like a bad look to me. Toss in his distain for Duke athletics and it's been difficult to talk sports with him at the various events I've shared a drink or two with him.

As a quick recap, Dan took his usual hard stance on JJ and then actively went out of his way to pick fights on the subject, going after a lecturing fellow at Duke both on Twitter and on his radio program. It looks like his chickens may be coming home to roost:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...st/6863624002/
    This has been stewing for awhile yet. I was wondering how long it would take to get picked up here.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy

With as consistently abrasive, negative, and confrontational as Dakich has been, I've always thought he must be an intensely unhappy man. He should let always happy LaPhonso Ellis teach him to turn that frown upside down.

I wish the whole shock jock shtick could get left in the 20C where it belongs. Irrespective of an individual radio host's politics, the whole thing is just toxic and infantile, and I wish there weren't as large a market for it as there apparently is.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    With as consistently abrasive, negative, and confrontational as Dakich has been, I've always thought he must be an intensely unhappy man. He should let always happy LaPhonso Ellis teach him to turn that frown upside down.
    Unlike Coach K, who generally took the best of his time with Knight and left the worst behind, I think Dakich took the worst of his time with Knight and left the best behind. Your description of him is spot on. He is that loud mouth guy in the bar who might make you laugh occasionally but nobody generally likes, and if you politely asked him to shut up, would just get in your face and get louder. Not to get political, but he personifies toxic masculinity. He also is an Indiana alum who sent his son to play at Michigan then transfer to Ohio State, which is like being an NC State alum whose kid starts out at UNC then transfers to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I wish the whole shock jock shtick could get left in the 20C where it belongs. Irrespective of an individual radio host's politics, the whole thing is just toxic and infantile, and I wish there weren't as large a market for it as there apparently is.
    Far too many ESPN analysts see themselves as entertainers...I continue to adore my mute button.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
    I know this is clearly sarcastic, but FWIW when Andrew Dakich was at Michigan Dan attended a lot of games as a fan and actually sat very near me and my family a few times. From everything I could surmise, he seemed like a decent dude when he was just there watching his son play.

Completely independent from this topic, but worth mentioning.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    I know this is clearly sarcastic, but FWIW when Andrew Dakich was at Michigan Dan attended a lot of games as a fan and actually sat very near me and my family a few times. From everything I could surmise, he seemed like a decent dude when he was just there watching his son play.

Completely independent from this topic, but worth mentioning.
    Good to know. For whatever reason he has chosen a public persona that is a long way away from decent dude.

Back when K suggested that it might not be a good idea to play college hoops during a pandemic, it took Dakich about five minutes to issue a tweet comparing it to 1995, when K "faked" a back injury.

A public figure in the college-basketball-business only does that it s/he is willfully ignorant or has an agenda. Or both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I've never met the man and have no intention of rectifying that.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Far too many ESPN analysts see themselves as entertainers...I continue to adore my mute button.
    Not to be glib but what’s the E stand for in ESPN. They are entertainers but this isn’t hot takes, this is repeatedly crossing the line.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Good to know. For whatever reason he has chosen a public persona that is a long way away from decent dude.

Back when K suggested that it might not be a good idea to play college hoops during a pandemic, it took Dakich about five minutes to issue a tweet comparing it to 1995, when K "faked" a back injury.

A public figure in the college-basketball-business only does that it s/he is willfully ignorant or has an agenda. Or both. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Haha, nor would I expect you to. I get the sense that as journalism becomes entertainment, more and more "journalists" are adopting public personas that they know will drive the most clicks, discussion, etc., even if it's different from who they actually are. I think that's idiotic, considering, as you've so eloquently described, anyone you meet isn't going to give you the benefit of the doubt if you're a jerk in public... you'll never get the chance to show your "real" persona if people don't want to engage with you.

I have no idea whether that's the case with Dakich... his last round of jerk behavior seems particularly egregious and makes me wonder whether his nice-guy, "dad in the stands" persona was the act and his public persona is the reality. Unless any of us want to become the dude's best friend, I'm guessing we'll never know!
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Among other things, I’ve never forgotten him calling Marvin Bagley selfish, and saying he was only about himself, when he was doing one of our away games in 2018. Just not a good look for an announcer to criticize an 18 year old personally, which said more about him and his disdain for Duke than it did about Bagley, imo.

And didn’t he have something negative to say about Tatum the year before?

I’ll never understand why anyone would honestly think Coach K would fake an injury. It just doesn’t make any sense whatsoever.

Furthermore, I don’t understand why some people think games — win or lose — in which Coach K was not the coach on the court should count towards his coaching record. It’s completely baffling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Unlike Coach K, who generally took the best of his time with Knight and left the worst behind, I think Dakich took the worst of his time with Knight and left the best behind. Your description of him is spot on. He is that loud mouth guy in the bar who might make you laugh occasionally but nobody generally likes, and if you politely asked him to shut up, would just get in your face and get louder. Not to get political, but he personifies toxic masculinity. He also is an Indiana alum who sent his son to play at Michigan then transfer to Ohio State, which is like being an NC State alum whose kid starts out at UNC then transfers to Duke.
    So if Indiana is like NC State and Michigan is like UNC, then OSU is like Duke?

I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Not to be glib but what’s the E stand for in ESPN. They are entertainers but this isn’t hot takes, this is repeatedly crossing the line.
    An also ran like Dakich probably looks at someone like Stephen A. Smith with his pseudo angry schtick and probably feels he needs an act of his own...whatever he's doing, it's not working.

I have nothing at all to say about Dan Dakich. But please let us know if and when that hot water he's in begins to boil . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Among other things, I’ve never forgotten him calling Marvin Bagley selfish, and saying he was only about himself, when he was doing one of our away games in 2018. Just not a good look for an announcer to criticize an 18 year old personally, which said more about him and his disdain for Duke than it did about Bagley, imo.

If it's the same incident, I remember it vividly and was pissed when it happened. Bagley took an admittedly ill-advised turn around jump shot from the baseline. Dakich says, verbatim, "Bagley is all about Bagley," and proceeded to rip him for being a selfish player. It was completely inappropriate and unfair. He took one bad play from a guy who was a beast all year long and carried Duke through several games (recall that Allen had kind of a disappointing year) and grinded an axe with it.

Not So fast

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    For future reference. Whenever you start a sentence this way, Not to get ..., just go ahead and delete it. It is a mind trick to excuse what one knows is not acceptable in the first place. If you can't resist the political statement, just put the right disclaimer on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    For future reference. Whenever you start a sentence this way, Not to get ..., just go ahead and delete it. It is a mind trick to excuse what one knows is not acceptable in the first place. If you can't resist the political statement, just put the right disclaimer on it.
    Fair point. Remove the disclaimer. He represents toxic masculinity. Not a political statement - a statement of fact based on my extensive experience listening to and reading about him.