Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 161 to 170 of 170
  1. #161
    [QUOTE=rsvman;1341380]You are a star. Board rules won't allow me to comment further.


    That was tacky, and a reach for sure!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  2. #162
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    [QUOTE=hustleplays;1341746]
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You are a star. Board rules won't allow me to comment further.


    That was tacky, and a reach for sure!
    You may be the only one who caught it!
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  3. #163
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You may be the only one who caught it!
    Nah, we were just letting that jibe pass.

  4. #164
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Nah, we were just letting that jibe pass.
    Sorry, I can't luff that go. That deserves a stern dressing down.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  5. #165
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Asotin, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Tommy, I know, I'm with you. It seems to be an important concept for K. I hadn't focused as much on the surprise factor for the players, but I agree with you that it's surprising that by now, our players can't match the physicality even if they are surprised. But, as you say, how could our players be surprised at this point? Pardon my naïveté, but can't our practices simulate high physicality to a large degree?

    Yes, how about us doing the knocking back. At least just play tough, together and poised. I'm really hoping for our best game, W or L, but of course would love the W.
    We likely cannot match that physicality in practice for the simple reason that we don't have players that are that mature. We have athletes who are giving away 10-30 pounds of effective and trained muscle mass and hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of neurological conditioning due to their youth. The only player on the roster plays significant minutes that would meet the necessary development criteria would be Goldwire, and he's not that big nor terribly athletic (not to demean Goldwire - he's done as good a job maximizing his abilities as any player at Duke.) Roach and Steward, compared to Goldwire, are wafer-thin and still skinny on their frames, as Hurt was last season.

    So, we take under-developed youths, pit them against grown men, and then we amp up the intensity from practice levels to game levels. This leads to the second shock - the equivalent, if you will of the rude awakening that first hit during a football game. It's a sudden change in psychology and matching the change of intensity of do-or-die game pressure in practice is probably not possible. I'm sure the coaches try, but there's only so much they can teach, and the kids can learn, in a single disrupted season.

    Not really trying to make excuses but counseling patience.

  6. #166
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Asotin, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    Sorry, I can't luff that go. That deserves a stern dressing down.
    I bow to all of the punsters' prowness!

  7. #167
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Great Falls Va
    Everybody’s got a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    We likely cannot match that physicality in practice for the simple reason that we don't have players that are that mature. We have athletes who are giving away 10-30 pounds of effective and trained muscle mass and hundreds, if not thousands, of hours of neurological conditioning due to their youth. The only player on the roster plays significant minutes that would meet the necessary development criteria would be Goldwire, and he's not that big nor terribly athletic (not to demean Goldwire - he's done as good a job maximizing his abilities as any player at Duke.) Roach and Steward, compared to Goldwire, are wafer-thin and still skinny on their frames, as Hurt was last season.

    So, we take under-developed youths, pit them against grown men, and then we amp up the intensity from practice levels to game levels. This leads to the second shock - the equivalent, if you will of the rude awakening that first hit during a football game. It's a sudden change in psychology and matching the change of intensity of do-or-die game pressure in practice is probably not possible. I'm sure the coaches try, but there's only so much they can teach, and the kids can learn, in a single disrupted season.

    Not really trying to make excuses but counseling patience.

  8. #168
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Durham
    [QUOTE=hustleplays;1341746]
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    You are a star. Board rules won't allow me to comment further.


    That was tacky, and a reach for sure!
    [QUOTE=rsvman;1341773]
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post

    You may be the only one who caught it!
    sheet, that was a good one. rsvman is a true mast-er of punnery.
    basketball is back, baby!

  9. #169
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    A wise man said, everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth.

    My favorite "knocked back" is even better than the Tyson quip. Our own CWell said of NC State, "They came out all rah-rah. We knocked them back. After that, there was no more rah-rah."

  10. #170
    Game recap and five observations. This one was painful.

    https://bluedevilstop.com/duke-loses...-georgia-tech/

Similar Threads

  1. MBB: Duke 82, Louisville 56 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 02-22-2018, 08:35 PM
  2. MBB: Duke 81, Louisville 77 Post Game Thread
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 185
    Last Post: 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
  3. MBB: Duke 64, Louisville 71 Post-game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 320
    Last Post: 02-24-2016, 07:34 AM
  4. MBB: Duke 63, Louisville 52 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 136
    Last Post: 01-19-2015, 04:59 PM
  5. MBB: Duke 76, Louisville 71 Post-Game Thread
    By JBDuke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: 11-26-2012, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •