Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Jim Sumner recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ll-ncaa-bubble

Money quote from Coach K:

Their athleticism and maturity knocked us back. Their perimeter just knocked our young guards back. They did not have the games they’ve had the past couple of weeks.
    As multiple posters have stated upthread, guard play did us in.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    My desire to see the team grow and win is why it is so frustrating to see poor personnel decisions in a winnable game with players that will be needed for seasons to come. No one can possibly say that benching our 7 ft tall leading shot blocker in a game we couldn't rebound or protect the rim was a smart call. It flat out cost the team the game.
    This is a fine and fair criticism of the strategy the Coach employed and also addressed post-game. You are welcome to your opinion as such.

In the chat you were lamenting that the game has passed K by, that he looks like late stage Knight, and other ridiculous things.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Louisville had the size, athleticism and experience to play a type of pack line. That gave them protection from our guards penetrating and a rebounding advantage. Steward tried to penetrate but faced very tough shots when he got in. The pack line also pressures the player dribbling so more rapid ball movement was in order. Goldwire plodded the ball up court and Moore is not a great passer so we seldom were getting open 3 point shots and when we did, the guys were just not hitting them. I think we just suffered from not having effective guard play. Our guys weren't able to exploit the 3 with movement and shooting and our experienced guards are not first class playmakers.

When Hurt got the ball he had to size to shoot over and he was hot. It was hard to get him the ball as Louisville was well aware of his abilities. Still, it shows how good Hurt really is.

Is the pack line somehow a better basic defense and if so, does it require an experienced team to run it effectively?
    Shooting well helps to beat that defense. Hurt was great. Everyone else was not. Still a winnable game if the rebounding had been better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    This is a fine and fair criticism of the strategy the Coach employed and also addressed post-game. You are welcome to your opinion as such.

In the chat you were lamenting that the game has passed K by, that he looks like late stage Knight, and other ridiculous things.
    Off topic, how late is "late stage Knight?" (Texas Tech, ESPN...)

There have been reports in the last couple years that he's having trouble in the memory/cognition department. He's eighty. It's always been odd to me how he's only a few years older than Koach (~6y3m). It always seemed like a lot more.

Matthew Hurt is now averaging 19.3 ppg and shooting 49-107 (45.8%) from 3.

He would get my vote for 2020-2021 ACC Men’s Basketball Player of the Year if the season ended right now.

If the season ended today, Duke would finish 8th in the ACC regular season standings. If Hurt won the ACC Player of the Year, he would be the first player to win the award whose team didn’t finish in the top 4 of the league’s regular season standings since T.J. Warren won the award in the 2013-2014 season. NCSU finished tied for 7th that season in the final regular season standings at 9-9.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Sumner recap on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...ll-ncaa-bubble

Money quote from Coach K:

As multiple posters have stated upthread, guard play did us in.
    my opinion while johnson was out was that guard play was the missing piece, and not JJ's return. It's hard to deny that their play has been a significant part of our good play the past few games, as K notes. I can't pretend to be a savant, though, as none of us were really expecting JJ's departure and the rise of Mark Williams. We also saw that our defense looks a lot worse out there when we're not raining down. It's been inconsistent the past few games, and personally, despite being worse from a numbers perspective, I don't think it was that much worse from a 1000' perspective. The defense is relatively mediocre and inconsistent, though can have stretches of good play. That is who we are on defense, and I don't think that is going to change by the end of the year.

So how whether we can get to a tournament depends on what it always did (at least in my opinion): how well can our guards play? Can they complement Hurt on offense and hold up on defense enough over the course of the game? Hurt shouldn't have to put up near 40 for us to be competitive.

In a more general note: It's disappointing that K's teams play so poorly in general against Louisville. I don't know if it's schemes or what, but the inability to come up with schemes to adjust to UL's press or screens in 2013, the game when we needed a miracle comeback with Zion and co, last night...It's like some of our games against NCSU...and like getting beat by UNC after made buckets, it is annoying that we get beat by the same things we KNOW are going to happen coming in year after year. It would be like if clemson or alabama were beat by a triple-option offense every year and kept failing to really adjust.

In any case, this game doesn't significantly change where I think we are in terms of our actually quality nor tournament prospects.
    1200. DDMF.

Steward, Roach, and Goldwire combined for 3-21 from the field and 9 turnovers. Counter that with Jones going 9-18 for 25 points and no turnovers and we find one of the keys to this loss. They won this game by thoroughly dominating in the backcourt.

They also thoroughly dominated us on the glass, on both ends. They also won this game by thoroughly dominating the glass.

That we had a really good chance to win in regulation (either by making our late free throws or getting a stop or getting that last rebound) is a testament to the amazing night Hurt had. Unfortunately, he just didn’t quite get enough help.

The path to the NCAAs just got much harder. Now we very likely need to take both road games next week. Not impossible, but a really tough task. Let’s hope our guys are up for it.

During the game I was pretty confused by K's substitution patterns. I understand Williams was out at the end for the press, but just rewatched and a couple of things stand out:

1) Goldwire's senior night, so great that he starts, but when things get tough you might think K might at some point go with the starters that put together the win streak. (Roach, Steward, Moore, Hurt, Williams) Those 5 did not play together until 10:08 in the 2nd half. They only played a minute and a half together the entire game as Goldwire subbed in for Roach at 8:26. When the offense was struggling so much in the first half, why not at least give those 5 a chance?

2) I couldn't figure out what K was doing with Baker either. He played from 11:25 in the first half to 2:10, never attempted a shot, was pretty crummy on D, and never returned to the game after that long 9 min stretch. Obviously the offense was struggling so sure, give him some time and see if he can hit, but it was 17-15 when he came in and 31-24 when he came out. Lots of troubles all around so not blaming him of course, but with both the offense and defense performing poorly during that stretch, and I'm just curious what K was hoping to accomplish with him. Literally everyone else who played in the game subbed in or out during that stretch except Baker. (Coleman played from 11:25-9:54, Jaemyn from 7:57 to 5:14, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
    During the game I was pretty confused by K's substitution patterns. I understand Williams was out at the end for the press, but just rewatched and a couple of things stand out:

1) Goldwire's senior night, so great that he starts, but when things get tough you might think K might at some point go with the starters that put together the win streak. (Roach, Steward, Moore, Hurt, Williams) Those 5 did not play together until 10:08 in the 2nd half. They only played a minute and a half together the entire game as Goldwire subbed in for Roach at 8:26. When the offense was struggling so much in the first half, why not at least give those 5 a chance?

2) I couldn't figure out what K was doing with Baker either. He played from 11:25 in the first half to 2:10, never attempted a shot, was pretty crummy on D, and never returned to the game after that long 9 min stretch. Obviously the offense was struggling so sure, give him some time and see if he can hit, but it was 17-15 when he came in and 31-24 when he came out. Lots of troubles all around so not blaming him of course, but with both the offense and defense performing poorly during that stretch, and I'm just curious what K was hoping to accomplish with him. Literally everyone else who played in the game subbed in or out during that stretch except Baker. (Coleman played from 11:25-9:54, Jaemyn from 7:57 to 5:14, etc.)
    1) Roach was not playing well and we needed Goldwire's defense.

2) No idea whatsoever. Maybe part of the reason Baker never attempted a shot is that nobody threw him the ball.
    Maybe he had extra good practices and Coach wanted to reward that? Maybe he thought there was a match-up to take advantage of but it never materialized? Who knows?

Please explain why you can’t use a big guy, particularly one who is fairly nimble like Williams against the press? Can’t he anchor the back of the press as a free safety? Or play at the top guarding the inbounder? It might not be ideal but I feel like it has been done before. I am assuming that part of the answer is that we haven’t had time to practice that.

There seems to be a broad consensus on this including K so I am trying to educate myself.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    Terrible personnel decisions, and everyone on the board knows what I'm talking about. Coach is his own worst enemy at times. Bob Knightesque.
    You need to watch the game. Williams was in until Duke pressed. The press worked. Williams was also in during overtime until they fell behind and had to press again. Hurt fouled out with 17 seconds left and Duke down by 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Music man55 View Post
    Goldwire played his usual good defense, but not much offense.
    Well, he did have 6 assists, which might be (though I’m not sure) the most he’s had in a game in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Yeah it’s tough to watch Duke games at Cameron without fans. Maybe next season hopefully ...
    The US is expecting to be able to provide 45-50 million vaccinations in March, 90 million in April, and another 90 million in May. That’s a minimum of 225 million in three months.

And then when you add in the vaccinations that will be available in June, July, August, September, and October I don’t see any reason we shouldn’t have a full Cameron Indoor next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Is the pack line somehow a better basic defense and if so, does it require an experienced team to run it effectively?
    You've been saying stuff like this for years, so I'll give you credit for consistency. The answers are no, not really; and yes, absolutely. Not just an experienced team, but an experienced team with lots of experience running the pack line.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, he did have 6 assists, which might be (though I’m not sure) the most he’s had in a game in his career.
    Jordan has had 7 assists in a game twice in his career and 6 assists five times (including last night).

I watched K's press conference and read Jim's recap. They are both excellent and illuminating. I had gotten out of the habit of watching/reading them.

Two things stood out to me.
    1. K mentioned that Duke had trouble with the athleticism and maturity of Louisville. This is a tad depressing since it seems to be a recurring theme. How often has K mentioned the opponent's athleticism and maturity? Seems like an awful lot to me. Why can't Duke match that athleticism and/or maturity? I get that Duke is young this year, but why is Duke not athletic?
    2. It seems like it has been a while since Duke had a guard who could get to the rim with the ease that Duke's opponents guards can. The Duke guards spend a boatload of time dribbling parallel to the basket and not at it.

It's disappointing that Duke lost but I still think they control their own destiny. They just turned the difficulty to 11.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    1) Roach was not playing well and we needed Goldwire's defense.

2) No idea whatsoever. Maybe part of the reason Baker never attempted a shot is that nobody threw him the ball.
    Maybe he had extra good practices and Coach wanted to reward that? Maybe he thought there was a match-up to take advantage of but it never materialized? Who knows?
    IMHO (where the H got rolled up in a full-court press),Goldwire played in an attempt to control Carlik Jones, who was judged to be too much for our other guards. You say it didn't work? well, he might have scored 40 otherwise.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post
    I watched K's press conference and read Jim's recap. They are both excellent and illuminating. I had gotten out of the habit of watching/reading them.

1. K mentioned that Duke had trouble with the athleticism and maturity of Louisville. This is a tad depressing since it seems to be a recurring theme. How often has K mentioned the opponent's athleticism and maturity? Seems like an awful lot to me. Why can't Duke match that athleticism and/or maturity? I get that Duke is young this year, but why is Duke not athletic?
    2. It seems like it has been a while since Duke had a guard who could get to the rim with the ease that Duke's opponents guards can. The Duke guards spend a boatload of time dribbling parallel to the basket and not at it.

It's disappointing that Duke lost but I still think they control their own destiny. They just turned the difficulty to 11.
    Was Tre Jones that long ago?
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    IMHO (where the H got rolled up in a full-court press),Goldwire played in an attempt to control Carlik Jones, who was judged to be too much for our other guards. You say it didn't work? well, he might have scored 40 otherwise.
    Sounds like you and I are in agreement, then.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    To me it looked like our best defense was when Jones was picked up by Wendell on the switch. I kept hoping Louisville would run that same play every time. But of course they changed it up with another player setting the pick. You could be right if someone other than Goldwire was guarding Jones he might have scored 40.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by azzefkram View Post

For basketball, the term "athletic" can cover a few different physical characteristics. Run fast, jump high, move quickly, etc. and in that regard our freshmen compare fine. But in the area of physical strength which shows up in holding a defensive position, grabbing a contested ball, or offensively powering through contact -- that's a little different, and much of it represents physical differences in weight and strength between 18-19 year olds and 21-22 year olds.

We got out-muscled by Louisville, and yes, it has happened with Duke vs other teams this year.