Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Frustrating loss. We were hustling and playing hard, but just ran into the wrong matchup and couldn't figure out how to adapt. Next two games are largely must-win. We need to figure this out because Tech is playing well and is led by a senior, ball-dominant penetrating point guard. Alvarado is not as good as Jones but he took us apart last time and will be ready to do the same Tuesday.

As I said in the in-game thread, we have been getting a lot of rolls the last few weeks. Unfortunately, tonight a lot of those rolls were going against us - we had a lot of shots spin out, including a few And-ones that became two shot fouls. There were also a few really sloppy turnovers - they won't necessarily rise to the top in the box score or statistical analyses, but they were real killers.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Needs to be said that Moore had a great game with 13 pts 9 boards, 4 assists and 6-7 from the line. Wendell has come a long way this year.
    To be fair, he did also commit a brutal turnover when we were up one late in regulation. But yes, he was not the problem tonight in general.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    LOL. The mood swings on this board.

If we win our next three, we will be right back in good shape. Not as easy as if we had won tonight, but doable.
    Against a team with a guard that can torch Duke and a rivalry game - hard task

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Against a team with a guard that can torch Duke and a rivalry game - hard task
    Definitely won’t be easy. Doable, but far from easy.

Microcosm of the season again, played just well enough to lose to a stronger more experienced team. Things looked incredibly grim in the first half, but one good thing about this team is they always find a way to play themselves back in it. I’m proud of their fight no matter how this all turns out.

Seemed like the game was in our hands when we scored 27 points in 12 minutes of the second half to take the lead after only 26 points in the first, but we could only score four points in four plus minutes thereafter and found ourselves in an absolute dogfight.

Their experience, size and mobility meant that Roach and Williams ended up being played off the floor or being largely a non-factor for significant stretches, and we had to go small in OT which meant they could keep attacking us inside and foul Hurt out eventually.

So many big plays and non-plays but not securing the rebound after the missed FT in the final seconds of regulation, plus giving up a three to a 24 percent reserve at the start of OT, felt like daggers.

I wondered why we weren’t trapping Carlik Jones more in the half court but our back line defense and rotations were so suspect, I get that K probably felt Louisville would have adjusted quickly and torn us up. The full court press worked well to keep us in it, but when forced to try to score in the halfcourt offense we just struggled to keep up if Matthew wasn’t making plays for us.

Hoping for one final reset and an uptick in play and focus for the road games next week.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    But Williams could...that's kind of the point isn't it?
    I will do what fans do and jump on this point in agreement. It's not surprising given K's proclivities demonstrated year upon year. I can't question his rationale because I don't know why he prefers shorter lineups at times, he must have his reasons. But Duke was heavily exploited by Jones driving to the lane late in the game, with a weak inside presence.

I'm more comfortable saying that the guard play was atrocious. Someone asked during the game thread why Joey Baker, wide open in the corner, was overlooked. That's an easier question to answer, first in part, freshmen doing freshmen things, but also because none of Duke's guards are distributors. When it comes to the instinctive nature of being a ball distributor, there is nothing remotely close to a Bobby Hurley on this team. Steward and Roach are far more offensive minded and look to get to the rim and pop out for 3s. That in part is by design, but when Roach and Steward aren't hitting their shots, their role in the offense is a net negative. Goldwire fills the role of distributor somewhat but he delivered two passes to Williams, one down on the blocks and one out between the top of the foul circle and center court that Louisville stole by coming over the top. Those TOs were completely on Goldwire. Any decent point guard should be able to deliver the ball to a guy as big as Williams who has his defender on his back/hip. Fundamentally that was just bad playmaking on Jordan's part.

Duke dropped to 35th on Kenpom.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    When’s the last time Duke lost 5 games in the same season at Cameron?
    Well the question was already answered I recognize, but home court advantage for Duke this year has also been somewhat neutered. Crowd would have probably been worth 1 point in regulation...

Ironically, I think this was our biggest point loss of the ACC season despite going to OT. Can't make only one FG in 5 min of OT and expect to win.

Was glad to see a lot of fight from the team in the second half though, but just didn't execute in crunch time like we've seen a lot this season unfortunately.

To much Goldwire dribbling, all night long. Need the ball in a play makers hands and he is not that.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    A lot of things I could say, but I said them in the in-game thread. No use adding to that.

NIT bound after tonight. Unfortunately my early season prediction of going .500 now back in play. Ugh...
    We need to win one more game to even make the NIT. They will not take a team with a losing record. We have at least three more to play, and are only two games over .500

Recapping a highly disappointing loss and five observations. It is a shame this incredible Matthew Hurt performance resulted in a loss.

https://bluedevilstop.com/dukes-tour...to-louisville/

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    We need to win one more game to even make the NIT. They will not take a team with a losing record. We have at least three more to play, and are only two games over .500
    NIT doesn't care about winning record anymore, and particularly this year with non-conference games being cancelled/shortened.

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Microcosm of the season again, played just well enough to lose to a stronger more experienced team. Things looked incredibly grim in the first half, but one good thing about this team is they always find a way to play themselves back in it. I’m proud of their fight no matter how this all turns out.

Seemed like the game was in our hands when we scored 27 points in 12 minutes of the second half to take the lead after only 26 points in the first, but we could only score four points in four plus minutes thereafter and found ourselves in an absolute dogfight.

Their experience, size and mobility meant that Roach and Williams ended up being played off the floor or being largely a non-factor for significant stretches, and we had to go small in OT which meant they could keep attacking us inside and foul Hurt out eventually.

So many big plays and non-plays but not securing the rebound after the missed FT in the final seconds of regulation, plus giving up a three to a 24 percent reserve at the start of OT, felt like daggers.

I wondered why we weren’t trapping Carlik Jones more in the half court but our back line defense and rotations were so suspect, I get that K probably felt Louisville would have adjusted quickly and torn us up. The full court press worked well to keep us in it, but when forced to try to score in the halfcourt offense we just struggled to keep up if Matthew wasn’t making plays for us.

Hoping for one final reset and an uptick in play and focus for the road games next week.
    Every ACC loss was winnable in the last few minutes - really helps to have an experienced guard down the stretch of these games - next year perhaps

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    When’s the last time Duke lost 5 games in the same season at Cameron?
    I think allowing as many students in Cameron as many other schools allow in could have swung some of those games. I agree with the decision not to let fans in, but I also think it is a competitive disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I think allowing as many students in Cameron as many other schools allow in could have swung some of those games. I agree with the decision not to let fans in, but I also think it is a competitive disadvantage.
    Yeah it’s tough to watch Duke games at Cameron without fans. Maybe next season hopefully ...

Need to value the ball more. The turnovers at the top of the key are killing us. I thought Hurt had tired legs on a couple of threes in crunch time in the second half. Need to go on another four game winning streak to make the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    This is just so, incredibly, entirely false. Sorry. We still are very likely to earn a bid if we beat GT and UNC.
    I agree. I thought before tonight if we won 2 of the last 3 that we were in. That is why I really didn't want to lose the first one. Tough week ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by devilnfla View Post
    To much Goldwire dribbling, all night long. Need the ball in a play makers hands and he is not that.
    Who is the playmaker among the Duke guards? Certainly not Moore. It doesn't appear Roach is and Steward tries but is primarily a scoring guard. Goldwire wasn't helping us either. Coach K tried to lean on defense but there also has to be some offense other than Hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    Who is the playmaker among the Duke guards? Certainly not Moore. It doesn't appear Roach is and Steward tries but is primarily a scoring guard. Goldwire wasn't helping us either. Coach K tried to lean on defense but there also has to be some offense other than Hurt.
    A team cannot win at any level without a true point guard. Duke does not have a point guard.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull City Proud View Post
    A team cannot win at any level without a true point guard. Duke does not have a point guard.
    Duke has a point guard. He just happens to be a freshman. And sometimes freshmen play like freshmen, especially when playing against more experienced and more physical players. That’s what Louisville had.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!