Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    That would put Duke at 13-9, 11-7. I would be surprised if Duke wins both of those games and gets an at large, but it would be pleasantly surprised!
    You have to look at the context. Most bubble teams are also losing right now. Which means that even though we lost a heartbreaker, we haven’t lost too much ground. Really, the only team that definitely jumps us because of this is MSU, and they still play a tough one against Maryland tomorrow.

Context. Context. Context. This was a tough loss but it doesn’t end our season by any means.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Bottom line, we had a lead and on the last possession could not get a stop. Worse, we don't get that defensive rebound on the missed FT at the end of regulation to give us a chance to win the game. On a career night from Matthew Hurt, the player of the game for the second time we played UL was Carlik Jones who controlled the game, got whatever shot he wanted, and made every big play down the stretch.

Louisville played very well in the first half and we did not. I was glad we fought to erase their lead pretty quickly but it took us a while to get our first lead, and then they grabbed the lead right back. I, too, didn't feel like K was working magic with his rotation, but no one could stay with Jones so maybe it didn't matter. Still, to not be able to take advantage of no Williams in the second half, Johnson fouling out and Withers fouling out...disappointing to say the least.

Tough senior night for Jordan who didn't look good at all.

Tough 3-point shooting night.

This game gave me a headache. It feels good to care that much, but it hurts.

Its extremely hard to win games when your guards go 3-21 and your lead scoring guard goes 2-13.

Quote Originally Posted by goduke03861 View Post
    But Williams could...that's kind of the point isn't it?
    Agree to disagree. I see this season as an astonishing accomplishment for K. This team was so far off the rails three weeks ago, and win or lose today doesn't change that.

You are entitled to your opinion, so enjoy it I guess. I'll be rooting my rear off for this team to make sure he tournament and win some more games.

If a team shoots 19% from behind the arc — that is not usually indicative of a W.

Great game by Hurt, but...he needed to get the ball more in OT.

Rough game for all three of our guards. Excellent play by Jones, he took over in OT.

Lots to play for - let’s beat GT and the Heels!!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Agree to disagree. I see this season as an astonishing accomplishment for K. This team was so far off the rails three weeks ago, and win or lose today doesn't change that.

You are entitled to your opinion, so enjoy it I guess. I'll be rooting my rear off for this team to make sure he tournament and win some more games.
    I agree with this post so much.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

We just can’t match up with their guards. Jones was terrific, and our 3 guards shot 3 for 21 and couldn’t stay with him.

Sorry we wasted a career night from Hurt, but he needed help. Williams played well. And Wendell finished the game strong despite some bad turnovers earlier. At least he hits his free throws.

Some missed free throws down the stretch and turnovers at inopportune times. We could have, and should have, won it in regulation after a dreadful first half.

This was another winnable game, like so many others earlier in the season. The next 2 games on the road are really going to be tough, too.

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    You have to look at the context. Most bubble teams are also losing right now. Which means that even though we lost a heartbreaker, we haven’t lost too much ground. Really, the only team that definitely jumps us because of this is MSU, and they still play a tough one against Maryland tomorrow.

Context. Context. Context. This was a tough loss but it doesn’t end our season by any means.
    Yea, that’s true. I just don’t see it right now but I will be glad if I’m wrong.

If Duke gets in, I’ll be ecstatic. It’s better for the NCAAT if the Duke brand is in the dance.

Two tough road games coming though. Winning both of those as well as winning 4 in a row in Greensboro will be incredibly difficult. As of now I think Duke is still headed for the NIT but again I really hope I’m wrong.

Clearly, our guards were unable to hold their own out there despite a great game by Hurt and a good game by Williams. We had unfortunate turnovers from our guards. Not to dis anyone in particular, but that coupled with poor offensive efficiency from them just made the hill to high to climb.

We tried to defend the penetration but were unable. I wondered if perhaps Williams might have been of use at the end and possibly Brakefield. Roach wasn't getting anything useful done so why not try something different. I thought we played hard in the second half but were just too ineffective offensively. When Goldwire and Moore are acting as playmakers our offensive weakness shows up. i suppose it is a tradeoff of defense for offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

My desire to see the team grow and win is why it is so frustrating to see poor personnel decisions in a winnable game with players that will be needed for seasons to come. No one can possibly say that benching our 7 ft tall leading shot blocker in a game we couldn't rebound or protect the rim was a smart call. It flat out cost the team the game.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Too upset to post anything rational right now.
    Ditto.

Later...when I've calmed down.

When’s the last time Duke lost 5 games in the same season at Cameron?

What a shame that Matt Hurt had to go out like he did with his best game in a Duke uniform with a loss in what I am almost sure is his last game in Cameron. Our guards tried, but we got nothing from Roach, only bits from Steward . Goldwire played his usual good defense, but not much offense. They scrapped and fought, but Lville just was the tougher team when it mattered. It is going to be a hard row to hoe to beat Ga. Tech and the cheats on the road next week. I’m holding on to hope for a tourney bid, but I can feel it starting to slip away. The game against Tech is going to be all or nothing. Let’s go Duke! There is still a way to do this!

You stat wonders, when was the last time a Duke player scored more than half the team's points? Wasn't the Ferry game with 58...Duke got 117 that night.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    We just can’t match up with their guards. Jones was terrific, and our 3 guards shot 3 for 21 and couldn’t stay with him.

Sorry we wasted a career night from Hurt, but he needed help. Williams played well. And Wendell finished the game strong despite some bad turnovers earlier. At least he hits his free throws.

Some missed free throws down the stretch and turnovers at inopportune times. We could have, and should have, won it in regulation after a dreadful first half.

This was another winnable game, like so many others earlier in the season. The next 2 games on the road are really going to be tough, too.
    Carlik Jones was phenomenal and far superior to our guards; he knew it and our guys knew it. Don’t care what his HS recruiting rank was 4 years ago, this 6’1” experienced and well schooled player showed me a lot.

A lot of things I could say, but I said them in the in-game thread. No use adding to that.

NIT bound after tonight. Unfortunately my early season prediction of going .500 now back in play. Ugh...

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    A lot of things I could say, but I said them in the in-game thread. No use adding to that.

NIT bound after tonight. Unfortunately my early season prediction of going .500 now back in play. Ugh...
    LOL. The mood swings on this board.

If we win our next three, we will be right back in good shape. Not as easy as if we had won tonight, but doable.

Needs to be said that Moore had a great game with 13 pts 9 boards, 4 assists and 6-7 from the line. Wendell has come a long way this year.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    When’s the last time Duke lost 5 games in the same season at Cameron?
    1994-1995

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    1994-1995
    Thanks. If I had three guesses that would have been my first.