Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ymm, Doughnuts

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    So what's the verdict on Cronuts?

My favorite local shop has them as do many other shops in the area. I tried them and they were OK, but not worth the price adder.
    Favorite shop is open 24 hours and temptingly on the way to the launch ramp when going fishing early in the morning.
    I'll take a dozen, please; of each.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I snobbily do not believe that Krispy Kreme should even be mentioned in this thread. That being said, when I was at WFU, we would go to the original one on Stratford Rd at about midnight during the week. The only customers there were students, truck drivers, and drug dealers. Not exactly the most discriminating tastes. Seriously though, I ODed on those things. When you are in college in Winston-Salem, selling KK is the go-to fundraiser.

Now, a cinnamon twist from Orange Blossom in Buxton is a WHOLE other story. And I know I have mentioned them before on DBR. Wasn't there already a doughnut thread?

It is malpractice that this clip or some variation on it has yet to be included in this thread:

Any New Orleans inhabitants who can tell me if Southern Maid is still in business down there?

Those donuts were heavenly.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Durham, within a couple of miles of Cameron
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I snobbily do not believe that Krispy Kreme should even be mentioned in this thread. That being said, when I was at WFU, we would go to the original one on Stratford Rd at about midnight during the week. The only customers there were students, truck drivers, and drug dealers. Not exactly the most discriminating tastes. Seriously though, I ODed on those things. When you are in college in Winston-Salem, selling KK is the go-to fundraiser.

Now, a cinnamon twist from Orange Blossom in Buxton is a WHOLE other story. And I know I have mentioned them before on DBR. Wasn't there already a doughnut thread?
    But you simply have to add an Apple Ugly or two from the Orange Blossom, otherwise, one's time on the Outer Banks is less than optimal!

Quote Originally Posted by JStuart View Post
    But you simply have to add an Apple Ugly or two from the Orange Blossom, otherwise, one's time on the Outer Banks is less than optimal!
    Oh, don't worry! An average trip to Orange Blossom usually includes an Apple Ugly, two or three twists, and at least one giant cinnamon roll with cream cheese icing. Not all for me, of course!

I was a bit perturbed the last time I was there (November) and they said nothing to the guy who came in with no mask. Not cool. Your door states your rules, the STATE'S rules, and you don't enforce. But that is another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Any New Orleans inhabitants who can tell me if Southern Maid is still in business down there?

Those donuts were heavenly.
    Doesn't look like there are any in NO anymore. One near Baton Rouge on Yelp, and then these shown on Google maps.
    southern_maid.jpg

Their website is pretty weak. Looks like it's a loosely supervised franchise system.

I used to think that Duck Donuts were the best in the world, and they are really good; for the uninitiated, they are essentially soft cake donuts that are cooked to order and then coated in any of about 500 different ways. Always very satisfying.

HOWEVER, my wife and I had heard about this Amish donut shop in Philadelphia called Beiler's Donuts, and people were ranting and raving about these things. I figured they were exaggerating, as people do. But we found ourselves in Philadelphia, so we looked them up and gave them a try. The store is located in the Reading Terminal Market (a fun place to visit pre-Covid). Anyway, they looked pretty good, but I was sure they couldn't be as good as people said, but we bought a few to give 'em a try.

Um....whoa. If you haven't tried these, you need to. Apparently they also have a separate location in the University City section of Philly and in Lancaster PA as well as in the Dutch Market in Germantown, MD.

I don't know how to describe what it is about these donuts that makes them so incredible. Everybody who has ever eaten them has similarly been at a loss for how to describe the sensation. I'll just say that the texture was different from any donut I've ever eaten anywhere in the world. Lighter, softer. It felt like you could eat a dozen of them for the calorie count of a couple of regular donuts (although I don't think that is actually true). But they just had such a delightful texture. The flavor was really, really good, too; probably a little less sweet than most donuts. Tbh I think sometimes donuts can be a bit sickly sweet, or overly sweet. These were sweet in just the right amount. Eating a Beiler donut was just delightful in a way that I had never experienced with other donuts, and I do love donuts.

If you ever find yourself anywhere near a Beiler's donuts, go there and get some. I haven't eaten every donut in the world, but I have a hard time imagining that anybody anywhere could make a donut better than these.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

I don't understand this thread. It's a thread about the best doughnuts on a forum advocating in favor of the Durham team, and nobody has even mentioned Monuts up on Ninth Street? That doesn't make sense to me. Where else can one get a lemon-pomegranate doughnut, or Earl Grey, or chili mango, or strawberry lavendar? And as weird as some of those might sound, they are all spectacularly delicious. It is the very rare flavor combination that they try that doesn't work for my taste, but the truth is, mostly the ones I don't like are related to my aversion to pure, dark chocolate, which my wife absolutely loves and declares heavenly.

I was in line for pickup the other day and gave up my spot in line for a woman who had driven all the way from Greensboro that morning just to get them, so I'm not the only one.

The owner actually was in Duke graduate school and opened a stand in the Farmer's Market, then was able to open a small shop, which itself quickly moved to occupy the old Magnolia Grill location. And they are good people, too, committed to using local ingredients wherever possible and to paying their employees a living wage. Good stuff, right here in Durham.

Britt's at Carolina Beach. They're worth waiting in line for.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I don't understand this thread. It's a thread about the best doughnuts on a forum advocating in favor of the Durham team, and nobody has even mentioned Monuts up on Ninth Street? That doesn't make sense to me. Where else can one get a lemon-pomegranate doughnut, or Earl Grey, or chili mango, or strawberry lavendar? And as weird as some of those might sound, they are all spectacularly delicious. It is the very rare flavor combination that they try that doesn't work for my taste, but the truth is, mostly the ones I don't like are related to my aversion to pure, dark chocolate, which my wife absolutely loves and declares heavenly.

I was in line for pickup the other day and gave up my spot in line for a woman who had driven all the way from Greensboro that morning just to get them, so I'm not the only one.

The owner actually was in Duke graduate school and opened a stand in the Farmer's Market, then was able to open a small shop, which itself quickly moved to occupy the old Magnolia Grill location. And they are good people, too, committed to using local ingredients wherever possible and to paying their employees a living wage. Good stuff, right here in Durham.
    Perhaps because their bagel and biscuit sandwiches might be even better than their donuts? Better not to mention any of this to those living elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Britt's at Carolina Beach. They're worth waiting in line for.
    Drove down from Wilmington for these at my daughter's insistence and they were worth the journey.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Doesn't look like there are any in NO anymore. One near Baton Rouge on Yelp, and then these shown on Google maps.
    southern_maid.jpg

Their website is pretty weak. Looks like it's a loosely supervised franchise system.
    Thank you! I thrive best under loose supervision. Maybe I should import a franchise to Virginia!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I used to think that Duck Donuts were the best in the world, and they are really good; for the uninitiated, they are essentially soft cake donuts that are cooked to order and then coated in any of about 500 different ways. Always very satisfying.

HOWEVER, my wife and I had heard about this Amish donut shop in Philadelphia called Beiler's Donuts, and people were ranting and raving about these things. I figured they were exaggerating, as people do. But we found ourselves in Philadelphia, so we looked them up and gave them a try. The store is located in the Reading Terminal Market (a fun place to visit pre-Covid). Anyway, they looked pretty good, but I was sure they couldn't be as good as people said, but we bought a few to give 'em a try.

Um...whoa. If you haven't tried these, you need to. Apparently they also have a separate location in the University City section of Philly and in Lancaster PA as well as in the Dutch Market in Germantown, MD.

I don't know how to describe what it is about these donuts that makes them so incredible. Everybody who has ever eaten them has similarly been at a loss for how to describe the sensation. I'll just say that the texture was different from any donut I've ever eaten anywhere in the world. Lighter, softer. It felt like you could eat a dozen of them for the calorie count of a couple of regular donuts (although I don't think that is actually true). But they just had such a delightful texture. The flavor was really, really good, too; probably a little less sweet than most donuts. Tbh I think sometimes donuts can be a bit sickly sweet, or overly sweet. These were sweet in just the right amount. Eating a Beiler donut was just delightful in a way that I had never experienced with other donuts, and I do love donuts.

If you ever find yourself anywhere near a Beiler's donuts, go there and get some. I haven't eaten every donut in the world, but I have a hard time imagining that anybody anywhere could make a donut better than these.

Ah, thanks for the reminder. Will be taking the family to get some this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Ah, thanks for the reminder. Will be taking the family to get some this weekend!
    Forgot they are closed on Sunday. Instead, we went to Weiser Market and got some donuts. They were very nice. Just a few of the Weiser Markets out in Amish country but when they say a donut is jelly or cream-filled, they are NOT messing around. Donut cage is soft and chewy, the cream is made there. Really, really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Forgot they are closed on Sunday. Instead, we went to Weiser Market and got some donuts. They were very nice. Just a few of the Weiser Markets out in Amish country but when they say a donut is jelly or cream-filled, they are NOT messing around. Donut cage is soft and chewy, the cream is made there. Really, really nice.
    Sounds really good.

This thread reminded me that I just don’t eat enough donuts. Once this whole covid thing abates, I think I’ll head to hipster Brooklyn to check out a few of the businesses that didn’t get permanently shuttered, including a donut shop I haven’t been to in years...

https://www.tripsavvy.com/thmb/BfpFx...26eb0d62f7.jpg

https://www.tripsavvy.com/reasons-to...ooklyn-4103374

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    This thread reminded me that I just don’t eat enough donuts. Once this whole covid thing abates, I think I’ll head to hipster Brooklyn to check out a few of the businesses that didn’t get permanently shuttered, including a donut shop I haven’t been to in years...

https://www.tripsavvy.com/thmb/BfpFx...26eb0d62f7.jpg

https://www.tripsavvy.com/reasons-to...ooklyn-4103374
    Thanks for the recommendation - I am very close to there most Sunday mornings for a class with my son so I need to check it out. It is amazing how Greenpoint has changed. 10-15 years ago my elderly great uncle had several incredibly caring Polish women from Greenpoint who cared for him - I think they all have owned their homes for decades and are likely sitting on a small fortune.

Grocery store chocolate frosted chocolate cake doughnut in the queue tonight to be paired with a Skillet Donut Stout.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.