Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Cobblers

Ymm, Cobblers

I'm blaming jimsumner for this one; he made me hungry after reading the Fitness Thread.

Your favorite crisp, Betty, crumble, grunt and pandowdy are also acceptable answers.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Aw, hell. I thought this was the shoe repair thread. Dammit, dd!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Cobblers are just ruptured pie and should be illegal.
    Fight me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Aw, hell. I thought this was the shoe repair thread. Dammit, dd!
    No problem. Sorry.

My favorite cobbler is likely to involve beer...

Love it! L. O. V. E. I will gobble cobble all day long! Man, those thick buttery crusts. Just like heaven!

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Cobblers are just ruptured pie and should be illegal.
    Fight me.
    Oh, man. I'll throw down on this. Two entirely different crust types for two different, albeit adjacent, experiences.

I thought the title was “Ymm, Gobblers” because dd really likes turkey. Perhaps he can elaborate at the DBR virtual pub Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    No problem. Sorry.

My favorite cobbler is likely to involve beer...
    Mamaw’s!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I thought the title was “Ymm, Gobblers” because dd really likes turkey. Perhaps he can elaborate at the DBR virtual pub Saturday.
    Dang, that would've been a great misspelling!

I like turkey a fair amount but once on Thanksgiving and again for another 2-3 days is plenty for me.

I'm more likely to elaborate about turkey in 10-15 different threads on deeber without turkey in the title than spill my giblets on a nationally syndicated production.

Oh wait, you're referring to *these* Gobblers: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

I'm so confused.

Lemme go search Ymm, Beer for some beer "cobblers."

And, to actually post something relevant to the thread, my first vote is for a mixed berry cobbler.

Mamaw’s!
    Winner...

Mamaw’s!
    Found it!

"Mamaw's Mean Cobbler-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Local, for certain special people .

Credit-accfanfrom1970; thanks!! (fuse got the Mamaw's Blackberry Cobbler, an "enhanced" version of their Virginia Blackberry witbier)
    Style-spiced and fruited Belgian style tripel (not brewed by monks )
    Pouring vessel-16 ounce can
    Receiving vessel-why, a lovely Hardywood teku from the 2019 GBS Complete Set package
    Appearance-hazy yellow orange with a thick, creamy head (almost like the ice cream with which it *could* be served)
    Nose-homemade peach pie/cobbler (not toaster/oven required)
    Mouthfeel-fruity
    Tastes-"millions of peaches, peaches for me;" cinnamon, vanilla, pie crust; not sure about the coconut; a bit on the sweet side
    Adjuncts-cinnamon, vanilla, coconut, peaches (d'oh!) and lactose
    IBU-20ish
    ABV-8.2% (booze in a baking dish)
    Overall impression-"movin' to the country I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches;" just like (somebody's) Mamaw used to make
    Ymm, Beer rating-low cat 3; quite a fun beer and good every two or three years; fuse also got the Cuvée Peach, their Peach Triple aged in wine barrels"

My second choice would likely be peach. No really, not beer but fresh NC (or SC, or GA) peaches and one, no two, no, make that three scoops of vanilla ice cream.

Ha, thedukelamere mentioned this a day or two ago; can't believe I've found this twice:

"Lizard of Koz-Founders Brewing Company

I thought I had tasted/reviewed this before but searching here and "elsewhere" revealed two character flaws: being wrong and memory.

August West brought his 750 ml bottle to tailgate yesterday and was kind and gracious enough to share. Many thanks!

Pour was opaque but not quite as black as his So Happens It's Tuesday from the *nc tailgate last year, which, when held up to a very bright halogen spotlight allowed no light through . Seductive aromas of dark chocolate and a bit of bourbon. Mouthfeel was thick/oily/chewy. Tastes were initially of semi-sweet chocolate again and, as it warmed a bit, blueberry pie/cobbler. Bourbon became more prominent with a bit more warming. None of us noted much vanilla. Blueberry bourbon fudge maybe? Couldn't find any IBUs listed anywhere but we all guessed about 50-60 based on the style (imperial stout) and the ABV was on the label at 10.5%, making this a very dangerous liquid dessert.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, man. I'll throw down on this. Two entirely different crust types for two different, albeit adjacent, experiences.
    Yeah, here's the rub for me, I suppose. The pie crust, to me, is vastly superior...buttery, flaky, rich, substantial. Cobbler crust is crumbling bits of disappointment floating amid a gooey sea of too much filling.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Yeah, here's the rub for me, I suppose. The pie crust, to me, is vastly superior...buttery, flaky, rich, substantial. Cobbler crust is crumbling bits of disappointment floating amid a gooey sea of too much filling.
    My first real job out of college was in Duke South Hospital. Back when the old cafeteria was there. We would look forward to the days when they served chicken and dumplings, pickled beets, cabbage, and . . . cobbler! And you could get it all for under $4.

Cobbler crust is browned more than a pie's crust, which makes it all kinds of crunchy good, with a little smear of fruitiness added in. BUT, if you got to the cafeteria too late on cobbler days, all the crust would be gone, and all that was left was a pan of hot fruit. Which was also really good, but I missed the crust.

Wilson, you have not had GOOD cobbler.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    ...Wilson, you have not had GOOD cobbler.
    False. My mother and wife both make fabulous cobbler. It's just not as good as pie, ever.

Cobbler can be made by throwing ingredients into the Crockpot. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by amusedcupcake View Post
    Cobbler can be made by throwing ingredients into the Crockpot. I like it.
    Have you or your husband (or any family members) ever had a crockpot explode?

My second choice would likely be peach. No really, not beer but fresh NC (or SC, or GA) peaches and one, no two, no, make that three scoops of vanilla ice cream.
    Cherry cobbler would also be near the top of the list.

Have you or your husband (or any family members) ever had a crockpot explode?
    Is that a challenge?