Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    The state of his drivers' license seems like the least of the concerns; it doesn't sound like he's going to be working gas/brake pedals for a long while.

Tiger's body's 45 is also a lot older that a lot of our 45s. Even before this, his surgery history had gotten as long as my post-polio mother's did in her late 50s and 60s.

IANA orthopedist, but as early as 1999, you all heard me saying stuff like "the torque that dude puts on his spine is completely insane, and he's not going to be able to do that well into middle age." When he was [athlete] young, he always looked like he wanted to murder the ball off the tee. Even I didn't think his decline phase would start at 32, but in retrospect, it makes sense.

So I don't know. Hopefully, he walks again.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

NYT (no firewall here) talks to several doctors about the challenges ahead for Tiger. I wouldn't bet against him ever playing again, but I would bet heavily against him ever winning again. And if he can't compete at the level he wants, would he play? I say no. Sad ending to a great career, but he succeeded more in his chosen profession than all but a very small number can ever aspire to...whether that be sport, business, entertainment, or whatever. You can argue whether he is the GOAT, but he is certainly on the golf Mt. Rushmore.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...2LZ?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I am not a doctor, just a mother of three active boys who had a lot of bad fractures, including an open and comminuted tibia fracture and a comminuted fracture of the talus, which is an ankle bone. Hopefully an orthopedic surgeon can comment with more authority, but this is what I understand from our experience:
    An open fracture is obviously very serious and susceptible to infection.
    A comminuted fracture is also quite serious, especially if there are a lot of parts. It could need to be put back together like a puzzle, with screws and plates to hold the pieces in place (which Tiger’s was). If that fracture was also an open fracture, pieces could be missing (that happened to my son...fortunately he was young and it healed even though pieces were missing).
    Even a simple ankle break can be serious because circulation is poorer in the lower extremities. If that break was a comminuted fracture, that could also add to the complication because of the chance of bone death due to poor circulation (this also happened to my son).
    Add all these things together with multiple fractures to his legs and ankles, and he will have a long road to recovery.

The fact that it is his right ankle may be the only good news from a golf perspective. But thankfully he survived this terrible accident.
    I am not an orthopedic expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the most concerning thing I heard was that they had to "release the pressure" in his leg (leg, by the way, is the part of the lower extremity between the knee and the ankle, in medical terminology). That, to me, implies he was developing or had developed what they call "compartment syndrome," which is extremely dangerous. Essentially, it means that pressure was building up inside a closed compartment of the leg that could have led to hypoxic damage, up to and including cell death, myonecrosis, etc. If compartment syndrome is missed and allowed to progress, sometimes amputation becomes necessary.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    NYT (no firewall here) talks to several doctors about the challenges ahead for Tiger. I wouldn't bet against him ever playing again, but I would bet heavily against him ever winning again. And if he can't compete at the level he wants, would he play? I say no. Sad ending to a great career, but he succeeded more in his chosen profession than all but a very small number can ever aspire to...whether that be sport, business, entertainment, or whatever. You can argue whether he is the GOAT, but he is certainly on the golf Mt. Rushmore.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mor...2LZ?li=BBnb7Kz
    If the injuries had been in the left leg, he would have virtually no chance of ever playing again. With them being in the right leg, I think it might be possible, but it's too soon to say.

He has five years to work on rehabilitation before he is old enough for the Senior Tour, should he be able to play and should he decide to play on that tour. If he is ABLE to, and has the motivation to succeed on that Tour, he could (at least theoretically) be very competitive. I'm not sure that Tiger will think it is worth the effort to compete on that tour, though. Even before the accident, people have been speculating whether he would play on the Senior Tour. After the heights of glory to which he rose, he might think that even if he were dominant on the Senior Tour, it wouldn't be satisfying, but who knows?

My best guess is that he bows out, continues as a host/personality/ambassador, and works on grooming Charlie's game so Charlie can be competitive on the regular tour in the future, but I have been wrong many times before.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If the injuries had been in the left leg, he would have virtually no chance of ever playing again. With them being in the right leg, I think it might be possible, but it's too soon to say.

He has five years to work on rehabilitation before he is old enough for the Senior Tour, should he be able to play and should he decide to play on that tour. If he is ABLE to, and has the motivation to succeed on that Tour, he could (at least theoretically) be very competitive. I'm not sure that Tiger will think it is worth the effort to compete on that tour, though. Even before the accident, people have been speculating whether he would play on the Senior Tour. After the heights of glory to which he rose, he might think that even if he were dominant on the Senior Tour, it wouldn't be satisfying, but who knows?

My best guess is that he bows out, continues as a host/personality/ambassador, and works on grooming Charlie's game so Charlie can be competitive on the regular tour in the future, but I have been wrong many times before.
    I have been a Tiger fan -- through thick and thin -- for 25 years. My hope is only that he is able to walk and lead a normal life . Golf? If he can walk, he can surely play recreationally. He doesn't need to compete any more; but, if he wants to, that's fine too. He has already had, arguably, the greatest career ever.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Just saw in multiple places that this has been ruled an accident and Tiger won’t face any charges.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Just saw in multiple places that this has been ruled an accident and Tiger won’t face any charges.
    That's good to hear, I guess. I know a lot of folks had to have been thinking relapse. I hope, given his history, they work hard to manage his pain in a smart way because he's going to be in some of it and I'm sure will be getting medicated for it.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    men folk often drive too fast
    Women folk often drive too slow
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Women folk often drive too slow
    Unless they learned to drive in Texas. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

With 15 majors and 82 wins of course he would love 3-4 more majors to tie or pass Jack (and in so doing get the most number of wins). However, he seemed to get a lot of joy when he played in that Father/son event with Charlie. I can see him easily transitioning into the host/personality/ambassador role with a heavy emphasis on enjoying family life. He is also an accomplished course designer so he has lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    That's fine...everyone hopes he can recover, including me....having said that, he's incredibly lucky he didn't kill other people..."much higher than normal speed," crossing over a median and two lanes of traffic, he easily could have killed a bunch of people (including himself).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    That's fine...everyone hopes he can recover, including me...having said that, he's incredibly lucky he didn't kill other people..."much higher than normal speed," crossing over a median and two lanes of traffic, he easily could have killed a bunch of people (including himself).
    Yea, it seems very fast for the authorities to declare that this was an "accident" and no charges would be filed against Tiger. The more you look at the path his SUV traveled after he left the lane he was driving in and crossed over the raised median strip and then across two lanes of the road in the opposite direction and then a long way through heavy brush and trees (the SUV rolling over multiple times and his vehicle was FAR off the road when it finally stopped - see CNN report below), he MUST have been going VERY fast (like way above the speed limit) and I'm guessing he had been distracted before the accident (maybe using his cell phone?) while driving. Yea, he easily could have killed other people and I'm amazed that no other drivers have stepped forward who might have witnessed what happened with this accident. There had to be other drivers on that road at 7:15 AM.

Also, if you watch the interview that CBS Sports did with Tiger the previous day at the Genesis Open golf tournament, he did look bloated and very tired. Also, there are reports that he was running late leaving the hotel the morning of the accident and he was reportedly driving very fast leaving the hotel parking lot (and supposedly almost hit another car in the parking lot).

You would think the authorities would want to do a more detailed investigation before clearing him.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2021/0...-ac360-vpx.cnn

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    Yea, it seems very fast for the authorities to declare that this was an "accident" and no charges would be filed against Tiger. The more you look at the path his SUV traveled after he left the lane he was driving in and crossed over the raised median strip and then across two lanes of the road in the opposite direction and then a long way through heavy brush and trees (the SUV rolling over multiple times and his vehicle was FAR off the road when it finally stopped - see CNN report below), he MUST have been going VERY fast (like way above the speed limit) and I'm guessing he had been distracted before the accident (maybe using his cell phone?) while driving. Yea, he easily could have killed other people and I'm amazed that no other drivers have stepped forward who might have witnessed what happened with this accident. There had to be other drivers on that road at 7:15 AM.

Also, if you watch the interview that CBS Sports did with Tiger the previous day at the Genesis Open golf tournament, he did look bloated and very tired. Also, there are reports that he was running late leaving the hotel the morning of the accident and he was reportedly driving very fast leaving the hotel parking lot (and supposedly almost hit another car in the parking lot).

You would think the authorities would want to do a more detailed investigation before clearing him.

Yeah, I'm not exactly sure what "lucid" when used to describe someone who just had their leg crushed in a horrible accident would even mean.

But what do you think he could be charged with exactly? If there is not evidence that he was impaired, then at most you're looking at reckless driving, if even that could be proven. Plus, reckless driving is a misdemeanor and, as in most states, a person can be arrested for a misdemeanor only if it was committed in an officer's presence, which this was not. Otherwise the police would have to get an arrest warrant signed by a judge. What would that be based on? Maybe some kind of recording device on the car as to his manner and speed of driving, but sounds to me like that would be tough if that's all you had. The fact that he was speeding and COULD'VE killed someone else had a someone else been there, is not a crime. At most we'd be looking at reckless driving here.

Yeah, he was speeding significantly at the least (reported speed limit in that section 45 mph). The original pictures showed the vehicle not far off the road, but when you look at the route taken and the barriers plowed through, he's very lucky he didn't hit somebody else or have someone in the car with him. It could be a very different story as far as sympathy for him.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Yeah, he was speeding significantly at the least (reported speed limit in that section 45 mph). The original pictures showed the vehicle not far off the road, but when you look at the route taken and the barriers plowed through, he's very lucky he didn't hit somebody else or have someone in the car with him. It could be a very different story as far as sympathy for him.
    Very true. And now I can't get this song out of my head:

"Amazing what a minute can do."

Well we all know that we shouldn’t use, or even look at, our cell phone when driving. But how many people, when running late, have picked up their cells to send quick a text “OTW”. I use Apple Car Play and can send texts by dictating, but this was not his car. So, yeah, others could have been hurt and thankfully they weren’t. But it could happen to almost anyone, even if they were going the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Well we all know that we shouldn’t use, or even look at, our cell phone when driving. But how many people, when running late, have picked up their cells to send quick a text “OTW”. I use Apple Car Play and can send texts by dictating, but this was not his car. So, yeah, others could have been hurt and thankfully they weren’t. But it could happen to almost anyone, even if they were going the speed limit.
    I suspect the universe of people who don't send text messages while speeding down a dangerous, hilly road might be larger than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I suspect the universe of people who don't send text messages while speeding down a dangerous, hilly road might be larger than you think.
    Good point.
    Regardless, we have no reason now to believe a cell phone was involved. It could just have been that he was going too fast. I guess my point was that most of us have, at one time or another, taken a risk in a car that we shouldn’t have taken. And most of us thankfully didn’t pay the price for taking that risk.

I don't think much of your reasoning or your absence of sympathy. Moreover, the LA DA is not likely to pursue criminal charges against a sympathetic figure like Tiger and his battalion of lawyers unless the evidence is absolutely solid. Nor will the LA sheriff want to face the press every day on this flimsy matter.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013