Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tiger Woods in Car Wreck

Currently in surgery. Single-car rollover at 7:12 am. Extracted by “jaws of life.” The photos I have seen look horrific. Hope he’ll come through okay.

https://twitter.com/daniel_rapaport/...110136321?s=21
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Wow. Somehow hadn’t heard. Sounds familiar and I hope he’s okay and this wasn’t from a relapse.

That sucks. When I saw thread title I was hoping it was from years ago.

Single car accident.
    Multiple leg injuries.
    In surgery now.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Single car accident.
    Leg injuries.
    In surgery now.
    And just out of back surgery, too. When I had minor back surgery, I wasn't supposed to drive for a week or so. I hope it wasn't something dumb on his own part, such as driving after taking pain pills, but either way he was driving solo, so at least nobody esle was injured. Maybe it was some mechanical failure like a tire blowout.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Compound leg fractures. His season is over. Maybe even his chance to ever win again at his age.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    And just out of back surgery, too. When I had minor back surgery, I wasn't supposed to drive for a week or so. I hope it wasn't something dumb on his own part, such as driving after taking pain pills, but either way he was driving solo, so at least nobody esle was injured. Maybe it was some mechanical failure like a tire blowout.
    Don't want to get into conjecture, but a tire blowout is highly unlikely. They are too well made nowadays, and Tiger wouldn't be running on bald tires.

Terrible news. I hope he fully recovers.
    Bob Green

Ugh.

bf89e212d8d38f048951ac257a31abc8.jpg

It was one of this past weekend's tournament courtesy cars (see logo on door). Though he didn't play, Tiger was the tournament host.

Edit: Also now saying it was a 2-car collision. That changes things (as far as conjecture on his state of mind) significantly.
    Last edited by dudog84; 02-23-2021 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Edit: Also now saying it was a 2-car collision. That changes things (as far as conjecture on his state of mind) significantly.
    Sorry, it's now appearing that Tiger is the culprit whether or not other cars were involved, and whether he was impaired (they say no indication, would they have taken a blood sample and have results yet?) or careless.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...7Jq?li=BBnb7Kz

Woods' SUV first hit the center median on the road, Villanueva said.

"From there, [the SUV] then crossed into the opposing lane of traffic, hit the curb, hit a tree, and there were several rollovers during that process," he added.

For all we know now there might have been an angry woman chasing him with a 5-iron.

Not funny. Crushed legs and fractured ankle. I hope he can walk again.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sorry, it's now appearing that Tiger is the culprit whether or not other cars were involved, and whether he was impaired (they say no indication, would they have taken a blood sample and have results yet?) or careless.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/gol...7Jq?li=BBnb7Kz
    They could've asked Tiger for his consent to draw blood. If he did not grant that consent, then the Sheriff's Dept would have had to get a search warrant for it, and would have had to convince a judge that they had probable cause to believe he was impaired. I don't know if they had that or not. The simple fact of an accident would likely be insufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    They could've asked Tiger for his consent to draw blood. If he did not grant that consent, then the Sheriff's Dept would have had to get a search warrant for it, and would have had to convince a judge that they had probable cause to believe he was impaired. I don't know if they had that or not. The simple fact of an accident would likely be insufficient.
    The “no signs of braking” is the most concerning part to me.

Just thank God he was wearing his seatbelt. Everybody, please heed that warning.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Just thank God he was wearing his seatbelt. Everybody, please heed that warning.
    This.

And it sounds like the airbags likely saved his life too.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    AHA!!!!

WoodsWreck.jpg

(PS, rhymes with Barol Caskins)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Some Local Knowledge

I grew up in the area. In fact, my high school's athletic fields are situated on a hill right above there with a view of the crash site. Jay Bilas went there a year behind me, but please don't hold that against me! I must have driven that road hundreds of times once I got my license before leaving for Duke and later moving out of the immediate area.

The road from Tiger's hotel to the crash site (PV Drive to Hawthorne Blvd) is full of turns, traffic lights, and hills. It's very hard for me to imagine how he (or anyone) could have fallen asleep at that time of day after such a short amount of driving time while on a road that demands your attention. It is about as far from a long boring highway at night (what I assume is worst case for falling asleep at the wheel) as you can get. The section where the crash occurred is rather steep and is at a turn as has been reported. Further down the hill beyond the crash site and just prior to the next signal light is a runaway vehicle escape lane with a gravel pit to stop trucks that have lost their brakes. Anyone driving that stretch of road would be crazy to consider anything more than a very quick glance at their phone.

I remain baffled as to the cause and circumstances of the crash given what has been reported. I do wish Tiger well.

Quote Originally Posted by Book_Face View Post
    I grew up in the area. In fact, my high school's athletic fields are situated on a hill right above there with a view of the crash site. Jay Bilas went there a year behind me, but please don't hold that against me! I must have driven that road hundreds of times once I got my license before leaving for Duke and later moving out of the immediate area.

The road from Tiger's hotel to the crash site (PV Drive to Hawthorne Blvd) is full of turns, traffic lights, and hills. It's very hard for me to imagine how he (or anyone) could have fallen asleep at that time of day after such a short amount of driving time while on a road that demands your attention. It is about as far from a long boring highway at night (what I assume is worst case for falling asleep at the wheel) as you can get. The section where the crash occurred is rather steep and is at a turn as has been reported. Further down the hill beyond the crash site and just prior to the next signal light is a runaway vehicle escape lane with a gravel pit to stop trucks that have lost their brakes. Anyone driving that stretch of road would be crazy to consider anything more than a very quick glance at their phone.

I remain baffled as to the cause and circumstances of the crash given what has been reported. I do wish Tiger well.
    Local knowledge is important, thanks. And yeah, I put him falling asleep in these conditions to be even more ridiculous than something going wrong with the car. But hey, those "experts" got their name in the paper/internet.

I just finished watching the Paradise Lost trilogy, and one of the most galling things was that the prosecution put on the stand a satanic cult "expert" who got his PhD from what appeared to be a mail-order university with no classes. But it's good work if you can get it.

Local knowledge is important, thanks. And yeah, I put him falling asleep in these conditions to be even more ridiculous than something going wrong with the car. But hey, those "experts" got their name in the paper/internet.

I just finished watching the Paradise Lost trilogy, and one of the most galling things was that the prosecution put on the stand a satanic cult "expert" who got his PhD from what appeared to be a mail-order university with no classes. But it's good work if you can get it.
    Yea, maybe the "Tiger fell asleep and lost control of the car" is a longshot theory (given the time of day and the fact that he had only driven a short distance from the hotel on a busy road). I also don't buy the "malfunction of the vehicle" theory. I still think the most logical explanation (and I'm no car accident expert and obviously wasn't there at the time of the accident) is that he was running late to his appointment at the golf course; was speeding and driving on a curvy, hilly road that he was not that familiar with; (maybe) became distracted somehow (cell phone, perhaps); hits the curb (again at a high rate of speed) and loses control of the vehicle and the SUV begins to roll over repeatedly.