Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Asheville recommendations

I'm staying in downtown Asheville this week - combo of working remotely from the Airbnb condo we've rented / visiting daughter who was in town for a wedding / hiking & sightseeing & Biltmore Estate / checking out the area for possible future relocation / celebrating wife's milestone birthday.

Does anyone know if there's a place to get a beer in town?

Just kidding, but I do welcome any recommendations on dining. Good carry-out in downtown? Good special occasion restaurant that won't break the bank for birthday dinner Saturday night? So far we've conquered Bhramari Brewing and Four Mile (and Mellow Mushroom).

Thanks!

Burial

I really, really enjoyed Burial both for the beer and the food. But mostly the beer.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Eternals is showing at Asheville Brewing Co's brew n view. I always enjoy going there when I'm in town and they have something fun on the screen.

https://www.ashevillebrewing.com/movies/

(The unc game on the big screen in the game room looks terrible though, I'd avoid that.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    I'm staying in downtown Asheville this week - combo of working remotely from the Airbnb condo we've rented / visiting daughter who was in town for a wedding / hiking & sightseeing & Biltmore Estate / checking out the area for possible future relocation / celebrating wife's milestone birthday.

Does anyone know if there's a place to get a beer in town?

Just kidding, but I do welcome any recommendations on dining. Good carry-out in downtown? Good special occasion restaurant that won't break the bank for birthday dinner Saturday night? So far we've conquered Bhramari Brewing and Four Mile (and Mellow Mushroom).

Thanks!
    There might be a place or two to get a beer in town My favorite restaurant is Mela Indian on Lexington. I've only ever had the shahi paneer and that is all I will ever get. It's sooooooo good...though I must say their service is not exceptional anymore. My paneer is also excellent takeout as well (as it is the next morning too). Dssolver Brewery is literally right across the street if you like sour beers and a 'surreal' vibe. Chai Pani Indian has also gotten written up-I went a looong time ago and it wasn't the best, but I think I need to go back and try again based on the reviews.

Limones on Eagle St. is excellent Mexican-fusion. The menu changes regularly and the bartenders (where we sat last time) were very knowledgeable of the menu. There's not much seating so best check to see if you can get a reservation.

Curate is an excellent restaurant if you like tapas. It's always on all the lists. Zambra's is also good for tapas, though I haven't been there in a while. Chestnut is also an excellent choice downtown.

If you're into BBQ, Buxton Hall has some great brisket & actually some really good fried chicken. It's literally right next door to Catawba and about 2764,293 other breweries on the South Slope.

In general, I can't think of any places I would say to definitely avoid. Bon appetit!

Cold Mountain is in season

Highland started selling their seasonal Cold Mountain last weekend. It's somewhat of an annual tradition in the Section 15 household and a cult favorite in the area. If you don't want to drive out to the brewery in East Asheville, there is a downtown taproom that is probably within walking distance from you. Actually, every place in downtown Asheville is within walking distance.

https://highlandbrewing.com/sw/

Section 15

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    I really, really enjoyed Burial both for the beer and the food. But mostly the beer.
    This, this. A thousand times this. Burial just might be NC's best brewery.

I'll also plug White Duck Taco Shop.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

PM me. Let's chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    PM me. Let's chat.
    Concur. MtnDevil is the man! He'll send you to the best spots!

Everyone raves about Carate but I don’t love Tapas or Carate. Then again I don’t love The Grove Park so maybe I’m just contrary. The Red Stag is my go to spot for dining in Altamont. Great breweries all over downtown. Best to bar hop IMO.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Concur. MtnDevil is the man! He'll send you to the best spots!
    And if we never hear from VA_BDevil again, it's because MtnDevil also knows the best places to hide a body.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks all for the recommendations! We actually had carryout from Chai Pani tonight. I can't pass judgement on the food since it sat on the kitchen counter for 30 minutes while we figured out how to stream the game. My wife has a relative who lives here, so he has reservations for us at Zambras tomorrow night. Seems we are catching some of the better options.

We'll definitely check out the Highlands taproom - it is just a 5 minute walk away. And we'll try to work in Burial too. Still not sure about where to go for the birthday dinner. Chestnut's online reservation system doesn't show availability on Saturday; maybe I'll have better luck by calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    This, this. A thousand times this. Burial just might be NC's best brewery.
    Burial is OK, just not the best. If you want the best, try cursus kĕmē. It's off Swannanoa River Road in an old diesel repair warehouse. They grow their own hops on site and you will never find any of their beer at the local Ingles, in fact they don't package it for retail at all, just at their one location.

The place is hard to find, you can drive by it a dozen times and not know it's there. It's behind a nondescript chain link fence and the very small sign is usually hidden by Kudzu. I'm not recommending that you look for it since you have other priorities and you want to stay in the downtown area. But, for anyone obsessed with beer, it is worth the effort.

https://cursuskeme.com/

Section 15

Update: Here's a review with some more pictures to give you a better idea of what I am talking about. This ain't your grandfather's taproom.

https://smokymountains.com/asheville...s/cursus-keme/
    Last edited by Section 15; 11-16-2021 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 15 View Post
    Burial is OK, just not the best. If you want the best, try cursus kĕmē. It's off Swannanoa River Road in an old diesel repair warehouse. They grow their own hops on site and you will never find any of their beer at the local Ingles, in fact they don't package it for retail at all, just at their one location.

The place is hard to find, you can drive by it a dozen times and not know it's there. It's behind a nondescript chain link fence and the very small sign is usually hidden by Kudzu. I'm not recommending that you look for it since you have other priorities and you want to stay in the downtown area. But, for anyone obsessed with beer, it is worth the effort.

https://cursuskeme.com/

Section 15
    Thanks, I am unfamiliar with them!

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Everyone raves about Carate but I don’t love Tapas or Carate. Then again I don’t love The Grove Park so maybe I’m just contrary. The Red Stag is my go to spot for dining in Altamont. Great breweries all over downtown. Best to bar hop IMO.
    If you're drinking beer, "bar hop" is the right term; if you're drinking cocktails, "bar crawl" is more accurate.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Was just there two weeks ago. I’m a huge Burial fan. But I had also wanted to check out Bhramari at the recommendation of a friend. Wow, did it deliver. The beer was outstanding as advertised. And their food was over the top fantastic. The Bhramari burger… you gotta have the Bhramari burger.

Edit: I guess I should read more closely as I see you’ve already hit Bhramari. I’ll throw in a vote for breakfast at Vortex donuts.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Was just there two weeks ago. I’m a huge Burial fan. But I had also wanted to check out Bhramari at the recommendation of a friend. Wow, did it deliver. The beer was outstanding as advertised. And their food was over the top fantastic. The Bhramari burger… you gotta have the Bhramari burger.

Edit: I guess I should read more closely as I see you’ve already hit Bhramari. I’ll throw in a vote for breakfast at Vortex donuts.
    Vortex Doughnuts are excellent. Amazing flavor, great variety. Also, don't sleep on Hole Doughnuts. Shorter hours, less variety, but every doughnut is made to order and succulent. And good coffee too.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Eternals is showing at Asheville Brewing Co's brew n view. I always enjoy going there when I'm in town and they have something fun on the screen.

https://www.ashevillebrewing.com/movies/

(The unc game on the big screen in the game room looks terrible though, I'd avoid that.)
    Is there a screen other than the big one downstairs with all the video games? I usually go there when my daughter and I are at Camp Rockmont (Y-Guides) but I've never seen them show a real movie like Eternals. It has been 2 years since we have been, however (didn't leave Black Mtn this year)

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Is there a screen other than the big one downstairs with all the video games? I usually go there when my daughter and I are at Camp Rockmont (Y-Guides) but I've never seen them show a real movie like Eternals. It has been 2 years since we have been, however (didn't leave Black Mtn this year)
    Yes. There's a full blown movie theater that now does first run movies (a very recent development). It's been maybe a month? I think the new Bond movie was their first foray.

I love the Asheville Brewing Company. Been going there about twenty some odd years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

Yep, Bhramari is outstanding. My wife and I both love the NEIPA called Lorelai. The food is pretty good, too.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Yep, Bhramari is outstanding. My wife and I both love the NEIPA called Lorelai. The food is pretty good, too.
    Their food is excellent. Their beer is a different breed than most in town. I like the uniqueness of it as a whole.