Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Captains this year?

    We are seeing our team coming together, playing with intensity and focus. Roles are becoming clearer and they are meshing well.

    I think I'm seeing more on-court leadership. I wonder what kind of leadership is being shown in practice and elsewhere.

    So, I'm wondering whether Coach K might designate team captains before the season ends.

    I understand that it may be still too early, but if the positive trends continue, later this season?

    Why name one or more captains? To certify to the team the leadership a team member is already showing and to support that team member to lead without hesitancy. I acknowledge that naming a team captain could be disruptive this late in the season. But if the newly designated captain has already become a leader among his teammates, it would be welcomed.

    And if you think that naming one or more captains is a possibility, who would be your candidates?

    Your thoughts, please!
    Last edited by hustleplays; 02-23-2021 at 01:13 AM.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by hustleplays View Post
    We are seeing our team coming together, playing with intensity and focus. Roles are becoming clearer and they are meshing well.

    I think I'm seeing more on-court leadership. I wonder what kind of leadership is being shown in practice and elsewhere.

    So, I'm wondering whether Coach K might designate team captains before the season ends.

    I understand that it may be still too early, but if the positive trends continue, later this season?

    Why name one or more captains? To certify to the team the leadership a team member is already showing and to support that team member to lead without hesitancy. I acknowledge that naming a team captain could be disruptive this late in the season. But if the newly designated captain has already become a leader among his teammates, it would be welcomed.

    And if you think that naming one or more captains is a possibility, who would be your candidates?

    Your thoughts, please!
    Jordan Goldwire. He has shown consistent energy and defensive grit. Tough kid who is probably playing up to his potential.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Jordan Goldwire. He has shown consistent energy and defensive grit. Tough kid who is probably playing up to his potential.
    Agree that Goldwire would be an obvious candidate. But I wonder if this team isn't better off staying captainless--because there are a lot of different moving parts and on-court combinations. Every player has to be completely focused and give his all every play, working with teammates, for the team to succeed. Maybe that works best if, essentially, they are all captains, all equally responsible for what happens.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    At this point, I would be stunned if they named a captain.

    And if it is anyone, it will be Wendell Moore, I think. The fact that Goldwire, a senior who plays a lot, hasn't yet been named a captain tells me that he is probably not that kind of leader (nothing wrong with that, but it just isn't in some people's toolbox).
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  5. #5

    you may be right

    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Agree that Goldwire would be an obvious candidate. But I wonder if this team isn't better off staying captainless--because there are a lot of different moving parts and on-court combinations. Every player has to be completely focused and give his all every play, working with teammates, for the team to succeed. Maybe that works best if, essentially, they are all captains, all equally responsible for what happens.
    MCFinARL, you may be right. I poised the question because I think it's interesting, but I don't know what the right answer is. We shall see!

    I didn't want to "lead the witness," but at this point I think that Wendell Moore may emerge as captain-worthy. It'w weird that this team is jelling as a good young team might be doing in a typical December. We're seeing some accelerated growth lately. I hope they have enough runway.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Someone may have mentioned this before in any of the numerous previous threads where the Captain Question was raised, but I suspect that the main (interpersonal) roles of a captain have been gutted by the antisocial protocol of this COVID season. Non-freshmen like Goldwire, Moore, and Hurt may well possess leadership ability, but have no opportunities on a day-to-day basis to use them. It may just be easier for the coaching staff to lead them as a group, on and off the court.

  7. #7
    Acknowledging that this season is full on unprecedented situations - I know Duke had added captains late in the season, but have we ever gone this deep without an announced captain? Have we ever started the season without an announced captain?

    Sheesh, what an odd year.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    At this point, I would be stunned if they named a captain.

    And if it is anyone, it will be Wendell Moore, I think. The fact that Goldwire, a senior who plays a lot, hasn't yet been named a captain tells me that he is probably not that kind of leader (nothing wrong with that, but it just isn't in some people's toolbox).
    I hadn't realized that we didn't have captains this year. While watching last night, I remember thinking that next year Moore will be invaluable for both his play AND his leadership. He just seems like one of the guys that the others listen to, and he's shown through example the benefits of hard work.

    That's interesting about Goldwire. Like I said, I hadn't realized that we didn't have captains, and I was pretty much thinking that they would be him and Wendell.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hadn't realized that we didn't have captains this year. While watching last night, I remember thinking that next year Moore will be invaluable for both his play AND his leadership. He just seems like one of the guys that the others listen to, and he's shown through example the benefits of hard work.

    That's interesting about Goldwire. Like I said, I hadn't realized that we didn't have captains, and I was pretty much thinking that they would be him and Wendell.
    Who are you and what did you do with CB&B?
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Who are you and what did you do with CB&B?
    He got the pandemic malaise and didn't gaf for most of the season.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Similar Threads

  1. Do we have captains?
    By hibby91 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2020, 11:46 AM
  2. Tri-captains
    By SupaDave in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 12:06 PM
  3. Captains next year?
    By Lord Ash in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 08-26-2011, 09:50 PM
  4. Your MBB captains
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-02-2009, 08:02 AM
  5. Men's Captains for next year?
    By madscavenger in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 10:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •