Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    To me it was Hurt, Williams, Roach and Steward with whoever else thrown in. Excellent game with limited sloppiness.

Duke had five players with at least four assists. A few weeks ago the entire team didn't always hit double figures.

This team is developing rapidly...as fast as any team in recent history.

Couple quick thoughts...

Roach is flying a bit under the radar with some of the other guys getting recent praise (i.e. Williams and Brakefield) but is absolutely playing great two way basketball. I questioned him starting over Goldwire but his defense has seemed to really improve and he has just has a ton of confidence in his shot...which is impressive since it wasn't falling for a while.

Our guard depth is fantastic and our depth overall is great. I know Coleman and Baker only get a few mins a night but that matters a lot in a game like tonight where the opponent is basically just trying to get by with 6 guys.

And finally...I really love this team right now. Obviously we're playing well but it seems like a complete team is starting to emerge. We have a true five man who can impact on both ends of the floor, an elite stretch four, a bunch of solid guards/wings, shooters galore (all of the sudden), and depth.

It would be an absolute shame if this teams misses the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    To me it was Hurt, Williams, Roach and Steward with whoever else thrown in. Excellent game with limited sloppiness.
    Goldwire was a key contributor. He totally blew up their press after the other guys struggled. He also hit two threes that were momentum shifts. ONE MORE YEAR,ONE MORE YEAR!

Quote Originally Posted by dukejim1 View Post
    Goldwire was a key contributor. He totally blew up their press after the other guys struggled. He also hit two threes that were momentum shifts. ONE MORE YEAR,ONE MORE YEAR!
    I too hope we get another year from him!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    If Duke played undefeated Gonzaga as a 9 seed in the second round of the NCAAT, what do you think the line would be and would you take Duke +4.5?
    Nah I'd need more points to consider it. Gonzaga and Baylor are way better than everyone else.

Terrific offense once again. Our defense looked (eye test alert) fantastic for the first few minutes, but then seemed to sag a little for an overall rank of decent but not great. Still, good enough for a comfortable win.

OFFENSE

Possessions: 67.5 (Believe it or not, this is slower than Syracuse usually plays this season; once again our offense was really good with a slow-ish pace)
    oRtg: 1.26 (1.31 adjusted; our 3rd-best offense of the season; the equivalent of the #1 offense in the country)
    eFG%: 63.3% (truly excellent; our 2nd-best eFG of the season, and sixth straight game over 59% (for the season, we've had eight games over 59%, including the last six)
    3pt%: 44.8% (another amazing 3pt performance, especially since Syracuse's average opponent only shoots 31% from three; our 6th straight game over 39%, with five of those six games over 44%)
    2pt%: 60.0% (outstanding, tied for 5th-best 2pt% of the season; 4th game in our last six over 59% from two (and 5th game out of six over 55%))
    %threes: 45.3% (this is way too high for us, but believe it or not it's almost exactly the average of Syracuse's opponents; plus we shot 45%!)
    FT rate: 10.9% (Syracuse ranks #36 in avoiding fouls, but that's still an opposing free throw rate of 25.2%; this, our 2nd-worst FTR of the season, is frankly pathetic)
    OR%: 42.4% (tied for 3rd-best OR performance of the season; Syracuse is the 57th easiest team in the country to offensive rebound against, but their average is 31%; our performance here is really good)
    TO%: 20.7% (not good; our 6th-worst offensive TO% of the season (worse than against UNC, just sayin'))
    a/to: 1.93:1 (3rd-highest a/to of the season)
    %assisted: 79.4% (our highest assist% of the season; perhaps in some way all those assists made up for all those turnovers)
    fast break pts: 14 (16.5% of points; decent, not great)

DEFENSE

dRtg: 1.05 (0.95 adjusted; decent, not close to great, the equivalent of the #51 defense in the country)
    eFG%: 46.3% (good; our 5th-best opposing eFG% of the season)
    3pt%: 33.3% (adequate; it's actually a tiny bit higher than Syracuse's season average)
    2pt%: 44.4% (very good; our 3rd best opposing 2pt% of the season)
    %threes: 34.8% (I'd prefer lower, but Syracuse can't really shoot, so it's fine)
    FT rate: 17.4% (our 3rd best opposing FTR of the season)
    DR%: 58.1% (putrid; our worst DR% of the season)
    TO%: 16.3% (6th-worst opposing TO% of the season; Syracuse is the 36th hardest team in the country to turn over, but still...)
    a/to: 0.91:1 (13th game out of 19 in which our opponent's a/to has been 1:1 or lower)
    %assisted: 35.7% (4th-lowest of the season)
    stl%: 7.4% (kind of blech; 2nd-worst steals% of the season)
    blk%: 13.0% (20.0% of 2pt shots) (probably our best block performance of the season)
    fast break pts: 13 (18.3% of points; disappointing)

We held Syracuse to poor shooting, and we didn't foul much, but our defensive rebounding and ability to force turnovers left a lot to be desired, for an aggregate of "OK" defense. Our offense was spectacular, despite turning it over too much and hardly going to the line at all. At this point, Pomeroy has us all the way up to the #11 offense in the country, which is crazy considering how bad our offense was, less than a month ago. In our last 8 games, we've played like a top 5 offense. A lot of that is our suddenly stellar 3pt shooting, but I'm still not sure if that's a mirage or not. Pomeroy ranks our defense #82, though in the last four games we've probably been closer to #30 or so.

In 2010 Singler was stuck playing in the post, handcuffing his game, until Zoubek crashed the party against Maryland with 16 and 17. Duke wasn't the same team after that night. Williams sudden emergence has transformed this team and has allowed other players to find their roles, not to mention, has freed Hurt offensively and saved him defensively. This is a very good team that has finally cut way back on freshman mistakes. Freshmen turnovers like poor shots, passes into contested passing lanes and dribbling into double or triple teams lead to immediate easy baskets on the other end. Duke was gifting every team 10 to 20 points each night because of bad decisions. This team has grown up and could go very deep if they can avoid getting an 8 or 9 seed. Even then I wouldn't want to play them if I were Gonzaga or Baylor.

So at the very early start of the season we were good on D with very stagnant O; then the offense started coming along but we couldn’t guard anyone; then the wheels fell off for a bit when we couldn’t shoot, couldn’t hold onto the ball, and couldn’t stop anyone; and now we are a 3 and D team that takes care of the ball? (So in a way, just like a Jeremy Roach’s season). What a roller coaster it has been

Quote Originally Posted by scazman View Post
    In 2010 Singler was stuck playing in the post, handcuffing his game, until Zoubek crashed the party against Maryland with 16 and 17. Duke wasn't the same team after that night. Williams sudden emergence has transformed this team and has allowed other players to find their roles, not to mention, has freed Hurt offensively and saved him defensively. This is a very good team that has finally cut way back on freshman mistakes. Freshmen turnovers like poor shots, passes into contested passing lanes and dribbling into double or triple teams lead to immediate easy baskets on the other end. Duke was gifting every team 10 to 20 points each night because of bad decisions. This team has grown up and could go very deep if they can avoid getting an 8 or 9 seed. Even then I wouldn't want to play them if I were Gonzaga or Baylor.
    Singler played in the post in 2008 and 2009. Miles Plumlee started at center in 2010 until replaced by Zoubek in the starting lineup. Zoubek averaged 18.7 mpg on the season, Miles Plumlee 16.4. Mason Plumlee also played some at the 5 that season, with Lance Thomas (25.3 mpg) starting at the 4.

Singler played some small-ball 5 at the end of close games when Duke was burning clock with its best ball-handlers and foul shooters. Otherwise, he was a 3 in 2010.
    Last edited by jimsumner; 02-22-2021 at 11:31 PM.

What a fun game that was. 😊

Everyone played well until garbage time. I had high hopes for Elizabeth’s brother from the start, but now I’m ratcheting them up. Mark my words, when he matures physically and experientially he’s going to be something.

Tremendous ball movement

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Duke had five players with at least four assists. A few weeks ago the entire team didn't always hit double figures.
    And remember when on offense the ball would just sit in the hands of one or more players during a possession. In the last several games the ball has been whipping around, with purpose. Reminds me of how the top NBA teams do it [of course, not at that level]. Really fun to watch.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    We were the fresher team tonight.
    A brilliant move by Coach K to rest big Mark against UVA, so he would be fresh for Syracuse.

I think it was CDu’s pregame post that made the critical point that this year’s Syracuse team, especially after the loss of their Center, has a major personnel flaw, with much less length in their zone, including the wings/guards than normal. Seemed like we got many more open looks for 3 than Syracuse usually gives up. Helps that we nailed them!

Mark Williams

Was what we saw from Mark Williams tonight what we’d hoped to see from Harry Giles?

What a game! How he runs the floor!

Did anyone catch that the non-Bilas announcer said that Guerrier was 2nd in the Big East in rebounding to Champaignie?
    That was funny.
    Also, Matt Hurt is, aherm, hurting himself (or better put, his stats) by not being aware of his feet on 3pt attempts. I'm pretty sure this was 3 games in a row (at least) of hitting a shot which ended up as a long 2 because he didn't set up deep enough and had a toe on the 3pt line.
    Last edited by DukieInBrasil; 02-23-2021 at 06:50 AM. Reason: can't spell

Free Mark Williams!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    Did anyone catch that the non-Bilas announcer said that Guerrier was 2nd in the Big East in rebounding to Champaignie?
    That was funny.
    Also, Matt Hurt is, aherm, hurting himself (or better put, his stats) by not being aware of his feet on 3pt attempts. I'm pretty sure this was 3 games in a row (at least) of hitting a shot which ended up as a long 2 because he didn't set up deep enough and had a toe on the 3pt line.
    Yes, caught that from Shulman (sp); surprised Bilas didn’t correct him.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    That was funny.
    Back in the day that would have been true

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Singler played in the post in 2008 and 2009. Miles Plumlee started at center in 2010 until replaced by Zoubek in the starting lineup. Zoubek averaged 18.7 mpg on the season, Miles Plumlee 16.4. Mason Plumlee also played some at the 5 that season, with Lance Thomas (25.3 mpg) starting at the 4.

Singler played some small-ball 5 at the end of close games when Duke was burning clock with its best ball-handlers and foul shooters. Otherwise, he was a 3 in 2010.
    Minor quibble, but we only had three players smaller than Singler in 2010, so he never played C. Zoubek and the Plumlees took all the non-garbage-time minutes, with Kelly getting the garbage minutes. And Zoubek, the Plumlees, Thomas, and Kelly combined for an average of 78 mpg (accounting for DNPs). Add in Steve Johnson’s 24 garbage-time minutes and you have just 56 total minutes (less than 1.5 mpg) at PF for Singler on the season. Those minutes probably happened early in the season when Mason was injured and Czyz was still playing.