Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SportsCenter Moment

So, I was watching SportsCenter this morning, catching up on results from yesterday, and it took them ages to get around to college basketball. After the recap of the Carolina game (Carolina looked good), there was a wonderful excerpt from ol' Roy. A reporter asked him is he wished he hadn't scheduled the game. He got really perturbed and said something along the lines of "Well, if I'd known we were gonna lose I wouldn't have scheduled the game. If you told me before the game we'd beat the Lakers, I'd have scheduled them." Just before he stormed out of the presser, he ended with the delicious line, "Carolina fans aren't that dumb."

Of course, the emphasis was on "that".

Ol' Roy may or may not be stupid, but at least he's willing to admit his fans are. Just not THAT dumb.

“Stupid is as stupid does”

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    So, I was watching SportsCenter this morning, catching up on results from yesterday, and it took them ages to get around to college basketball. After the recap of the Carolina game (Carolina looked good), there was a wonderful excerpt from ol' Roy. A reporter asked him is he wished he hadn't scheduled the game. He got really perturbed and said something along the lines of "Well, if I'd known we were gonna lose I wouldn't have scheduled the game. If you told me before the game we'd beat the Lakers, I'd have scheduled them." Just before he stormed out of the presser, he ended with the delicious line, "Carolina fans aren't that dumb."

Of course, the emphasis was on "that".

Ol' Roy may or may not be stupid, but at least he's willing to admit his fans are. Just not THAT dumb.
    Honestly, stuff like this is why I love college basketball.

Tarheels say the darndest things

I saw this last night on the SVP version of Sportscenter. Best part of it was that they played Roy, then had a pregnant silent pause which gave me a second to think about what he actually just said, after which SVP said "so there's that."

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    Tarheels say the darndest things
    You dress in that color and it becomes difficult to appear intelligent. I feel for them.

Some enjoyable viewing today:

The really good stuff starts at 3:20...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I love it when he refers to the "baskybaw."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Some enjoyable viewing today:

The really good stuff starts at 3:20...
    To Roy's credit he's right. That was a very dumb question presented to him, so his answer was contextually spot on. "We can't operate in hindsight" was a good answer. No true competitor ever enters a match without knowing the risk of possibly losing. But you can't look at it that way if you're a true competitor. Meaning, you don't schedule games you think you're guaranteed to win -- except for maybe preseason. That question was also dumb because it was a smack in the face of Wojo and Marquette. And I always hate it when said "journalists" don't convey their own thoughts but hide behind -- "some Tarheel fans question why you would schedule a game like this..." So, playing off the dumb question about some Tarheel fans say ... his answer was right on the money. Daggumit!

Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    To Roy's credit he's right. That was a very dumb question presented to him, so his answer was contextually spot on. "We can't operate in hindsight" was a good answer. No true competitor ever enters a match without knowing the risk of possibly losing. But you can't look at it that way if you're a true competitor. Meaning, you don't schedule games you think you're guaranteed to win -- except for maybe preseason. That question was also dumb because it was a smack in the face of Wojo and Marquette. And I always hate it when said "journalists" don't convey their own thoughts but hide behind -- "some Tarheel fans question why you would schedule a game like this..." So, playing off the dumb question about some Tarheel fans say ... his answer was right on the money. Daggumit!
    Yeah, all the handwringing (here, in the media, and presumably in unc online spaces) over "it was stupid to schedule that game" are way off. Scheduling games like that is great. We should do more of it, even in non-pandemic years.

Wait now, hole fans are dumber than rocks but not THAT dumb to want to schedule non -con teams that they can't beat. Does that sum it up?

Honestly though rocks do get a bad rap.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Yeah, all the handwringing (here, in the media, and presumably in unc online spaces) over "it was stupid to schedule that game" are way off. Scheduling games like that is great. We should do more of it, even in non-pandemic years.
    While I agree with you on one hand, Marquette was probably the absolute worst kind of opponent to schedule a game with. UNC would have gained nothing from winning, and now that loss could potentially really hurt. One could say the same about Northeastern, but the chances of losing to them were pretty low. Marquette is a good team, and they've had better wins than Duke this year.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    While I agree with you on one hand, Marquette was probably the absolute worst kind of opponent to schedule a game with. UNC would have gained nothing from winning, and now that loss could potentially really hurt. One could say the same about Northeastern, but the chances of losing to them were pretty low. Marquette is a good team, and they've had better wins than Duke this year.
    If Marquette is a "good team" with better wins than Duke, how can you suggest it wouldn't gain anything for UNC to win? They are nearly as percarious for the tournament as we are. Our resume would definitely benefit from a similar win.

There's a lot of silly things to poke at - Roy really is the gift that keeps giving. But I completely understand why they would schedule this game.

As much as I dislike Roy, it was an adenine question and his response was fine.

That doesn’t stop me from enjoying it though.

Copycat

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    IIRC, he got that from his fellow Mayberry resident Gomer Pyle, or if not then it was from Gomer's cousin Goober.

After he threw his players under the bus a few times last year, someone clearly coached Roy that it is better for him to take the blame for being out-coached. So now, that’s his lead. But it is so disingenuous when he says “bad-coaching” because he follows it up with examples of mistakes the players made and times they didn’t do what he told them to do. I guess he thinks Carolina fans really ARE that dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I like even better how he says 'Wojo,' his big ole North Carolina /o/ with the fronted and slightly lowered nucleus.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    As much as I dislike Roy, it was an adenine question and his response was fine.

That doesn’t stop me from enjoying it though.
    Agreed. To me, this is a lot milder than our coach berating a Duke student for what I thought was a fair question.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I hate to defend Carolina fans, but I interpreted this to mean that Carolina fans aren't as dumb as the question Roy was asked.

I love Ole Roy after a loss. His post game comments have great entertainment value.