Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I actually thought Jay addressed this well by saying "we're both adults. We can disagree on something and still respect each other."
    I mean, I'll give Jay the benefit of the doubt on that one, but not Boeheim.

Before this all gets dumped over to the "announcer discussion" thread where it belongs, I'll throw in my great appreciation for Doris Burke. That woman knows basketball as well as anyone and can breakdown tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Before this all gets dumped over to the "announcer discussion" thread where it belongs, I'll throw in my great appreciation for Doris Burke. That woman knows basketball as well as anyone and can breakdown tape.
    Amen to this. She also seldom does the long tangent thing or makes the conversation about herself. She is quite refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    To me the best announcers are the ones that a) focus on the game, and b) are authentic, and not putting on a shtick of some sort.

Al McGuire, in another era, was that guy for me. Dude was priceless, one of a kind. Along with Hubie Brown for the NBA. Just explain the game, but also do it in a way that is interesting and entertaining. Maybe even teach an interested viewer something he or she didn't know. Not trying to put on a show or make it about yourself. Today, I think Raftery does a pretty good job of that, as does Gminski. Those guys are authentic and real. Of the play-by-play guys I really like Gus Johnson although I don't get to see him much anymore. Dude is super enthusiastic and knowledgeable and loves the game and makes it fun.

Packer was an oddball because he wasn't about showmanship, he did focus on the game, but he was still annoying. But I'd take him any day, even with his anti-Duke bias, over the yahoos with their stories about themselves that are unrelated to the game, their silly attempts at creative nicknames that nobody thinks are cute or funny, or any of the other nonsense that passes for "commentary" today.
    I wasn't able to watch the Syracuse game (and badly miss the days when full video replays were available for goduke subscribers, sigh), so I missed the commentary and don't really have an opinion on Bilas v. Boeheim: Judgment Day. But in my review of the post-game thread to keep somewhat current, the bolded gave me a chuckle that I felt should be shared. I know what you meant, tommy (and agree), but I am also glad I wasn't drinking my coffee when I read your post.

What's interesting to me is that the NBA games are longer yet even with more time to fill the announcers seem to be able to stick to the game and avoid the random tangents much better than their NCAA counterparts

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    What's interesting to me is that the NBA games are longer yet even with more time to fill the announcers seem to be able to stick to the game and avoid the random tangents much better than their NCAA counterparts
    I blame the tangents on the producers as much as the announcers. For some of the tangents, they have graphics teed up (often the annoying ones that take up half the screen during live game action) so clearly the topic of discussion was pre-planned. I'm sure the announcers have some discretion regarding talking about it for 15 seconds vs. 3 minutes, and some announcers do a better job than others of sprinkling in what is actually happening in the game while going off on their tangent.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that the Corey Alexander "I'm going to spend half the game name dropping all of my AAU relationships and how close I am to everybody" tangents are not being encouraged by the producers.

My general take is that some of these tangents might be kind of interesting, but not in place of talking about the game, and not when they go on and on about them. If ESPN wants to sacrifice a 30 second commercial during a timeout for 94 feet with Jay Bilas, I am OK watching it. But if ESPN wants to show 94 feet with Jay Bilas when I am trying to watch the game, that doesn't work. But I would rather watch ads for hemorrhoid cream than see Lunardi - keep him away.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I blame the tangents on the producers as much as the announcers. For some of the tangents, they have graphics teed up (often the annoying ones that take up half the screen during live game action) so clearly the topic of discussion was pre-planned. I'm sure the announcers have some discretion regarding talking about it for 15 seconds vs. 3 minutes, and some announcers do a better job than others of sprinkling in what is actually happening in the game while going off on their tangent.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that the Corey Alexander "I'm going to spend half the game name dropping all of my AAU relationships and how close I am to everybody" tangents are not being encouraged by the producers.

My general take is that some of these tangents might be kind of interesting, but not in place of talking about the game, and not when they go on and on about them. If ESPN wants to sacrifice a 30 second commercial during a timeout for 94 feet with Jay Bilas, I am OK watching it. But if ESPN wants to show 94 feet with Jay Bilas when I am trying to watch the game, that doesn't work. But I would rather watch ads for hemorrhoid cream than see Lunardi - keep him away.
    I can't stand the "tiny screen" for any reason other than truly big news event. Andrew Luck is retiring suddenly? Cool, I'll give some of my TV space for a quick update. Long panning shot following Jimmy B around on the bench? No thank you.

I can't stand the "tiny screen" for any reason other than truly big news event. Andrew Luck is retiring suddenly? Cool, I'll give some of my TV space for a quick update. Long panning shot following Jimmy B around on the bench? No thank you.
    It is especially annoying for those of us who haven't upgraded to mega-TVs yet. Not much I can make out on the court when they go split-screen on my 32" Dynex.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It is especially annoying for those of us who haven't upgraded to mega-TVs yet. Not much I can make out on the court when they go split-screen on my 32" Dynex.
    Add in some aging eyesight, and it’s even worse. (You’ll get there eventually, lad.)

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Add in some aging eyesight, and it’s even worse. (You’ll get there eventually, lad.)
    I had to get glasses when I was 6 because I couldn't read the clock on the wall...I've been there for 20+ years!

I just got a much bigger tv because I got tired of the small screen presentation.

-jk