Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Seafood

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Back in the 1700s, some laborers and maids had it written into their contracts that they only had to eat salmon a certain number of days since they were so very plentiful. Too much of a good thing I guess.
    There are now some salmon in the CT River as they've been re-introduced, and various organizations are removing dams to assist in the effort.
    Salmon were introduced into Lake Michigan in the early 1970s to eat alewives, a type of small shad or herring, that died off in huge, smelly numbers every year.

From about 1975 to 1977, one of my friend's dad had a boat that was docked in Waukegan Harbor. We often went up and trolled for salmon. We caught some on every trip and would often grill them dockside, just delicious.

I've been gone from the Midwest for almost 40 years but read that the alewife population is in serious decline perhaps due to some invasive mussel species. I'm not sure how the salmon population is holding up.

In thinking about Lake Michigan fishing from my distant past, I also recall the annual smelt runs. We would wade into shallow waters with one guy on each end of the net and catch many small fish called smelt.

The older made us young guys go into the very cold water to catch the fish. They would deep fry them and we'd eat them within an hour of catching them. They were pretty good but most anything that is fried tastes good.

I think they make better bait, Marty!

Sauteed soft shell crabs. I'm getting misty-eyed...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by TeacherTom View Post
    I think they make better bait, Marty!
    You are probably right, some things seem better with the passage of time.

I don't think we even took the bones out. The fish and their bones were small enough that we'd fry them and just get a slight crunch from the bones.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Sauteed soft shell crabs. I'm getting misty-eyed...
    Ooooh, you and I can be friends!

Butter, salt, pepper, lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Salmon were introduced into Lake Michigan in the early 1970s to eat alewives, a type of small shad or herring, that died off in huge, smelly numbers every year.

From about 1975 to 1977, one of my friend's dad had a boat that was docked in Waukegan Harbor. We often went up and trolled for salmon. We caught some on every trip and would often grill them dockside, just delicious.

I've been gone from the Midwest for almost 40 years but read that the alewife population is in serious decline perhaps due to some invasive mussel species. I'm not sure how the salmon population is holding up.
    Similarly, landlocked salmon have been stocked in Lake Champlain (VT) for a long time, I've caught some big ones...Alewives: I thought those were the spouses of big drinkers! ...actually, we've got alewives here too, susceptible to death when the water temp changes, and yes, they smell real nasty...

It's salmon season again!

Had two successful trips the last week and a half. Maybe going again Saturday.

Latest recipe I made up with our fresh salmon. Inspired by something I found online at NYT site.

Salmon Roasted in Butter and Herbs

Ingredients

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
    4 tablespoons or more minced chervil, parsley or dill
    1 salmon fillet, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

I have some nice chervil growing in my Aerogarden so that's how I found this recipe doing the search. You can do this with a nice big chunk of skin on or skinless salmon.

Didn't do step by step pics, but here's what you do.

Heat the oven up to 350-375. I did 350 with my convection turned on.

Get a baking dish that the salmon will just barely fit in.
    Put the butter in the dish and half of the herbs. I used mostly chervil, but put a bit of finely chopped fresh rosemary in at this step also. Put it in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the butter.

Salt and pepper the top side of the salmon. When the pan is ready, put the salmon in the pan skin side up and put in the oven for 5 minutes.

Take the pan out and peel the skin off. Salt and pepper the newly exposed flesh and then flip the salmon over. Return to the oven and cook until the internal temperature is 135, probably another 10-15 minutes.

Sprinkle the rest of the herbs on top and serve.
    Mine looked like this.

Plated up with some fresh mushroom risotto and fava beans with bacon and onions.

Pretty tasty stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Latest recipe I made up with our fresh salmon. Inspired by something I found online at NYT site.

Ingredients

I have some nice chervil growing in my Aerogarden so that's how I found this recipe doing the search. You can do this with a nice big chunk of skin on or skinless salmon.

Put the butter in the dish and half of the herbs. I used mostly chervil, but put a bit of finely chopped fresh rosemary in at this step also. Put it in the oven for 5 minutes to melt the butter.

Salt and pepper the top side of the salmon. When the pan is ready, put the salmon in the pan skin side up and put in the oven for 5 minutes.

Take the pan out and peel the skin off. Salt and pepper the newly exposed flesh and then flip the salmon over. Return to the oven and cook until the internal temperature is 135, probably another 10-15 minutes.

Mine looked like this.

Plated up with some fresh mushroom risotto and fava beans with bacon and onions.

Pretty tasty stuff.
    Looks delicious.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Salmon Roasted in Butter and Herbs

Ingredients

Mine looked like this.

Pretty tasty stuff.
    I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed each and every aspect of this post BW. Very nice. (The smile says it all!)

Looking forward to a nice fishing trip in Louisiana next month. Can’t wait!

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Sockeye salmon last night. Simple salt, pepper, butter, old bay, lemon. Ymm, seafood. Ymm beer, ardent honey ginger to go with it.
    When we went on our Alaskan cruise 3 years ago, we bought fresh frozen salmon in Ketchican (10 pounds for about $200, including shipping)and they shipped it to Greensboro after we got home (didn't want the cooler they shipped it in to sit on our porch for a week...). We re-ordered when that 10 pounds ran out. We only buy Wild Alaskan salmon, non of the farmed stuff for us. And now we buy it at Costco for about 1/3 the price and it tastes just as good!

Someone mentioned monk fish upstream (yuk yuk yuk!). It tastes like lobster! I love that stuff!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed each and every aspect of this post BW. Very nice. (The smile says it all!)

Agreed. These are great photos and accompanying descriptions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Only thing missing are the details about the wine. Ymm, Wine!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Shrimp and grits. My wife has a restaurant quality recipe. She gets a few red/cayenne pepper flakes during cooking; I get a few splashes of Texas Pete on my portion. An IPA/IIPA works here, too.
    One awesome trick I learned many moons ago is to cook the grits with broth or stock. Ymm, shrimp and grits.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Only thing missing are the details about the wine. Ymm, Wine!
    Well the one in the pic is Fogscape 2018 Pinot Noir (Arroyo Seco), which is in Monterey County 60 miles south of here. 86 points on Wine Enthusiast.
    Wine Enthusiast says:
    "Struck slate, smashed stone and light cranberry aromas show on the nose of this bottling. There is a prominent wet clay minerality on the palate, with tart red fruit and crushed slate as well."

Been a long time since I had clay or stones in my mouth, but when I drank it, that wasn't what came to mind.
    Pretty smooth stuff. I'm not a fancy wine describer but I like it.

Showed up at the wine sale at my Grocery Outlet. $6.99 less 20%, so I picked up a case of it the next day.

After not getting to go last year due to covid, been doing a lot of clam digging trips this year.
    Also scored some bluefin tuna from a friend that went out on a 3 day trip from San Diego.

Had a nice meal of bluefin and geoduck clam sashimi with basil gimlets.

Picture of the clam before cleaning and slicing. Cutting board is 18x24 inches.

After not getting to go last year due to covid, been doing a lot of clam digging trips this year.
    Also scored some bluefin tuna from a friend that went out on a 3 day trip from San Diego.

Had a nice meal of bluefin and geoduck clam sashimi with basil gimlets.

Picture of the clam before cleaning and slicing. Cutting board is 18x24 inches.
    Wow. Do you have to get the clam in some water so it processes all the gunk in its system first?

9B1BBAB6-6DA5-4062-A57F-17FB68B1A0DD.jpg

Caught the limit of redfish, and a few sheepshead.

I cooked the redfish on a half shell (fillet with scales still on one side; rub with oil and sprinkle with cajun spices; bake at 475 for 20-25 minutes). Cut the sheepshead into nuggets, breaded with flour and hot spices, and fried for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Wow. Do you have to get the clam in some water so it processes all the gunk in its system first?
    No, these clams are so big you clean them like a fish by manually removing the digestive tract and gills.
    This is what it looks like inside:

The crescent shaped piece and the long siphon are all edible meat once you peel off the brownish skin.
    This clam was four pounds in the shell and yielded 2.5 pounds of meat.

Purging is for small clams, oysters, mussels where you are going to eat all the parts you normally wouldn't.
    I got to see that in action when my son worked at an oyster/mussel farm.
    They would put the shellfish in tanks with super filtered water for 48 hours to starve them so they would empty out.

No, these clams are so big you clean them like a fish by manually removing the digestive tract and gills.
    This is what it looks like inside:

The crescent shaped piece and the long siphon are all edible meat once you peel off the brownish skin.
    This clam was four pounds in the shell and yielded 2.5 pounds of meat.

Purging is for small clams, oysters, mussels where you are going to eat all the parts you normally wouldn't.
    I got to see that in action when my son worked at an oyster/mussel farm.
    They would put the shellfish in tanks with super filtered water for 48 hours to starve them so they would empty out.
    Very cool. Yes, we learned to purge shellfish the hard way. Shortly after my parents retired to the SC coast, my mom took us all out to the marsh to collect oysters. I guess she didn't read that page in the cookbook though because we shucked them and cooked them and then promptly spit them out they were so gritty. Now we toss them in water and a little cornmeal.

Pretty neat how big that geoduck is. What does it taste like?