Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ymm, Seafood

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Salmon is our go-to, but we're flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I won't argue with salmon anytime anyplace. But, there is much more fresh seafood to be had on the NC coast.

Now, when I lived in Seattle, salmon was cheap, fresh, and absolutely delicious every time.

I am simple when it comes to salmon. Lemon, salt pepper. Ideally cooked in such a way that the skin comes out crispy... Pair it with asparagus and maybe couscous.

Man, really bugging me more and more that I don't have fresh seafood here at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Wasn't aware that was a NC coast thing!

-jk
    Our “seafood guy” (at the Piedmont Triad Farmer’s Market in Colfax on the weekends) brings in Scottish salmon, which has become my favorite. I like to blacken it on a gas grill using with Slap Ya Mama Cajun seasoning. Serve with roasted sweet potatoes, a side salad with good olive oil, and a Willamette Pinot Noir (Ymm, Wine). If up to me, I would cook it rare (like many cook tuna), but Mrs. Tripping and Homeboy like it a bit more cooked. Tastes as close to butter as I have ever had in a fish. A mainstay around these parts.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Sea scallops, wrapped in bacon and pan-seared in a cast iron skillet.

Frogmore stew with crawfish, shrimp, andouille sausage, red potatoes, and corn on the cob, boiled with hot-ssa-emmer-effin’ spices.

Mrs. Tripping’s shrimp saganaki, with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, and feta cheese, served with a really dry rosè (Ymm, Wine).

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Mrs. dd would go even simpler: no bacon.

(blasphemy!)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Mrs. Tripping’s shrimp saganaki, with fresh tomatoes, garlic, onions, and feta cheese, served with a really dry rosè (Ymm, Wine).
    That's twice now...

Shrimp creole. A bit of red/cayenne pepper added by Mrs. dd during cooking and several splashes of whatever hot sauce (low Scoville Heat Units) is in the fridge on my portion just before devouring, probably with an IPA or IIPA.

Shrimp and grits. My wife has a restaurant quality recipe. She gets a few red/cayenne pepper flakes during cooking; I get a few splashes of Texas Pete on my portion. An IPA/IIPA works here, too.

The only good seafood is served raw. Sashimi or nigiri, I’ll take either!

Our go-to seafood market claims it is; will verify this weekend.
    See if he has any bridges to sell also.

Growing up in Connecticut, I remember seeing books with drawings depicting people catching salmon at the mouth of the Connecticut River, but they had all been killed off by the time of the Revolutionary war. No such tales were ever told about NC however. The water is just not cold enough.

Most of the salmon you see in the east is farmed salmon from up north or Europe.

There is a company in Indiana trying to farm raise genetically modified salmon. I would say that I would be surprised if that succeeds, but then I think about all of the nonsensical things I see food advertised as already.

I will say that eating salmon within a day or two of catching it yourself is completely different than anything you can get at a store or any normal restaurant.

Frogmore stew with crawfish, shrimp, andouille sausage, red potatoes, and corn on the cob, boiled with hot-ssa-emmer-effin’ spices.
    Shrimp creole. A bit of red/cayenne pepper added by Mrs. dd during cooking and several splashes of whatever hot sauce (low Scoville Heat Units) is in the fridge on my portion just before devouring, probably with an IPA or IIPA.
    Shrimp and grits. My wife has a restaurant quality recipe. She gets a few red/cayenne pepper flakes during cooking; I get a few splashes of Texas Pete on my portion. An IPA/IIPA works here, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    The only good seafood is served raw. Sashimi or nigiri, I’ll take either!
    You guys want to play this game? You are in "my house" as they say.

Since salmon was a hot topic...here's my most recent internet fish recipe post for salmon from the last salmon I caught in October.

Soy Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon honey crystals (keeps easier for me than real honey which always ends up hardening on me)
    ~1 inch of grated ginger
    1 good squirt of sriracha (YMMV)
    Nice chunk of salmon

Mixed up everything and marinated the salmon in it for about an hour in the fridge.

Heated up the charbroiler and seared it on both sides for about a minute.

Put it on a sheet pan and poured about half the marinade over it. No parchment since I'm not going to cook it that hot so it won't be hard to clean.

Then I put it in the oven at 250F for 10 minutes. After that I checked the internal temperature and poured the rest of the marinade on it.
    Checked it every few minutes after that and basted it with the marinade in the pan. Once it reached about 135F internal temperature, it was time to plate it up.

Plated with spicy black ramen and green beans.

Came out really great with just a bit of a kick from the ginger and siriracha.

BTW - Most of my recipe posts have more than 4 pics. Have to trim them down on here because of DBR rules.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post

Growing up in Connecticut, I remember seeing books with drawings depicting people catching salmon at the mouth of the Connecticut River, but they had all been killed off by the time of the Revolutionary war. No such tales were ever told about NC however. The water is just not cold enough.

Most of the salmon you see in the east is farmed salmon from up north or Europe.

There is a company in Indiana trying to farm raise genetically modified salmon. I would say that I would be surprised if that succeeds, but then I think about all of the nonsensical things I see food advertised as already.

I will say that eating salmon within a day or two of catching it yourself is completely different than anything you can get at a store or any normal restaurant.
    Thanks!!

You guys want to play this game? You are in "my house" as they say.

Since salmon was a hot topic...here's my most recent internet fish recipe post for salmon from the last salmon I caught in October.

Soy Glazed Salmon

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup sesame oil
    1 teaspoon granulated garlic
    1 tablespoon honey crystals (keeps easier for me than real honey which always ends up hardening on me)
    ~1 inch of grated ginger
    1 good squirt of sriracha (YMMV)
    Nice chunk of salmon

Mixed up everything and marinated the salmon in it for about an hour in the fridge.

Heated up the charbroiler and seared it on both sides for about a minute.

Put it on a sheet pan and poured about half the marinade over it. No parchment since I'm not going to cook it that hot so it won't be hard to clean.

Then I put it in the oven at 250F for 10 minutes. After that I checked the internal temperature and poured the rest of the marinade on it.
    Checked it every few minutes after that and basted it with the marinade in the pan. Once it reached about 135F internal temperature, it was time to plate it up.

Plated with spicy black ramen and green beans.

Came out really great with just a bit of a kick from the ginger and siriracha.

BTW - Most of my recipe posts have more than 4 pics. Have to trim them down on here because of DBR rules.
    We are indeed here "to play" and your recipes/contributions/photos are fabulous.

Sockeye salmon last night. Simple salt, pepper, butter, old bay, lemon. Ymm, seafood. Ymm beer, ardent honey ginger to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Sockeye salmon last night. Simple salt, pepper, butter, old bay, lemon. Ymm, seafood. Ymm beer, ardent honey ginger to go with it.
    Ymm, Beer, too.

Nope.

Salmon is our go-to, but we're flexible.
    I prefer the salmon that swim up the Neuse River and are caught locally.

I probably shouldn't tell a cardiologist this but Calabash-style seafood for me. Shrimp, flounder or scallops, with hush puppies, sweet ice tea and fries.

Hey, I'm a southerner. I don't eat barbecue, follow NASAR, have never smoked and never owned a Confederate flag.

So, I have to embrace my southern roots somehow.

Fish education. Guess that's why they travel in...
    Clever young man!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I prefer the salmon that swim up the Neuse River and are caught locally.

I probably shouldn't tell a cardiologist this but Calabash-style seafood for me. Shrimp, flounder or scallops, with hush puppies, sweet ice tea and fries.

Hey, I'm a southerner. I don't eat barbecue, follow NASAR, have never smoked and never owned a Confederate flag.

So, I have to embrace my southern roots somehow.
    We still consume some fried sea creatures, hush puppies and fries but less frequently and in smaller quantities than in past decades. My tea is unsweetened and my wife's is half and half. Yea, hers tastes better (and yours even better) and I do sneak a sip now and then but realized a couple decades ago that each glass of sweet tea has ~150 calories (more?) and, when offered free refills, that would usually mean 2-4 glasses. (currently opening the door widely for Ymm, Beer/Pies/Cakes/Puddings comments, too)

Back in the 1700s, some laborers and maids had it written into their contracts that they only had to eat salmon a certain number of days since they were so very plentiful. Too much of a good thing I guess.
    There are now some salmon in the CT River as they've been re-introduced, and various organizations are removing dams to assist in the effort.