Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DukieInBrasil View Post
    He was definitely moving his left shoulder into Moore, but he was still directly above his foot, so it's not like he went after Moore. Moore began his move for the ball not anticipating Hurt would continue rotating his torso. I think it was the right call.

Hauser wasn't open on some of those 3s!

I definitely took notice of that and had the apprehensions. Our offensive execution down the stretch was poor, we just forced UVa into bad offense too.
    I’ve seen that exact play get called over and over in the NBA. The guard usually causes the big to get called on the moving screen by not waiting for the handoff before going. It’s always a foul call. And the shoulder to the face is reviewable and should have been reviewed.

But if they weren’t going to call Hauser for a flagrant on the elbow, or Moore for the flagrant on the forearm/elbow to the eye of Morsell, or the elbow by Huff to Coleman’s jaw/throat, they probably weren’t going to call flagrant on the moving screen.

Just makes me even madder about all the other questionable flagrant fouls that got called this year, like the one on Matt Hurt in the post a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but if I'm a 7 footer with the ball anywhere but right under the basket, I'm not sure I want someone with the quick hands of a Jordan Goldwire guarding me. Granted, they probably missed some opportunities with JGold on him, but why help pad his steals stats? 😁
    If I’m Huff, I’m not worried in this game about a guard in the post whose face is at elbow level.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Hey, I hear ya, but what if the possession arrow had belonged to virginia? In all likelihood we would've post a close game because somebody fumbled a fairly simple pass.
    A great win, but it could easily have been another close loss.
    But it wasn't. And that's what matters.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Hey, I hear ya, but what if the possession arrow had belonged to virginia? In all likelihood we would've post a close game because somebody fumbled a fairly simple pass.
    A great win, but it could easily have been another close loss.
    Impossible to argue but we were also due a little good luck in one of these games.

Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Hope DJ is ok. Looked to tweak his ankle late in the game. I think that was a factor in his missed FT at the end.
    I somehow missed that...hopefully he'll be okay. There were so many "little" things done by the guys that were huge in this game. Let's keep this train rollin' and get a win against Syracuse!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    They didn’t even review the screen by Huff that laid out Moore. Definitely leaned his shoulder in.

UVA has mastered how to dupe the officials into thinking that they don’t foul because they keep their arms up while moving their bodies into offensive players.
    So true. They have been doing this for years. Mike Tobey was a particular master as I recall.

I am obviously pleased with this win for a number of reasons. We won our first nail biter since eking one out against BC. We got our second win over a tourney team, and this one against a potential top-10 team. And we continued our streak of top-10 level performances (now at 3). This win solidifies the evidence that those wins over State and Wake weren’t just skewed by the opponent. We really have been playing well.

Hurt has become an absolute shooting machine the past few games. This run he is on is unreal.

Goldwire continued doing Goldwire things. His defense is spectacular. I hope he comes back for a fifth year next year.

Moore had a solid game almost everywhere but scoring. Hopefully he iced up for another battle Monday.

Brakefield is arriving! He played really well, and his versatility is starting to show.

Roach made a bunch of nice plays as well. He seems to be regaining his confidence.

Coleman chipped in a couple of important buckets.

The only negatives were a rough game for Steward and a poor rebounding night. But everything else was terrific. Such an important win for the team’s confidence. Hopefully we consolidate this with a win over Cuse Monday.

Very happy with how well we played n our bench played well also. My only question is what happened to Mark Williams? I don’t recall him playing at all in the 2nd half. Am I correct n if so any idea y he he didn’t get any minutes in the 2nd half? I thought he gave us some good productive minutes in the 1st half.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Very happy with how well we played n our bench played well also. My only question is what happened to Mark Williams? I don’t recall him playing at all in the 2nd half. Am I correct n if so any idea y he he didn’t get any minutes in the 2nd half? I thought he gave us some good productive minutes in the 1st half.
    Coach K press conference. He addresses your question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRo0bj9y9kY

My car doesn't have a rear view mirror. Love his answer to a question about a past win over UVA

I think Mark didn't get time because of the switching we were doing.

-jk

Williams was ineffective on the switches. Too slow to stay with Clark on the perimeter and not experienced/strong enough to handle Huff.

He’ll he back next game.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Interestingly, our performance tonight in terms of adjusted efficiency was almost exactly... UVa. We played the equivalent of the #8 team in the country, our third straight top-10 level performance.
    Best team win of the season To steal a line from the Mars landing,Perseverance got the win. Steward should have made those free throws. Clark rarely makes a critical error. We deserve that W. Every one on Duke gave 100 % effort. Hurt and Brakefield were excellent.

Williams struggled several times with the switches guarding the perimeter and even with Huff inside; he still had some good moments but VA probably would have focused on attacking him more in the second half. Brakefield’s breakout in the first half probably made it easier for K to keep Mark on the bench, and it turned out to be a good decision.

Game recap, plus five observations. Duke may have just saved their season.

https://bluedevilstop.com/duke-keeps...-off-virginia/

While it has been a strange and challenging year, this team continues to evolve. The young guys are maturing right before our eyes. The defence against Virginia's last possession probably wouldn't have happened a month ago. I was looking toward next year for real results, but right now I would not want to see Duke on my schedule if I were an opposing coach. Now, we need a quick turnaround to play against a zone. Hurt might have a huge game against the Orange.

Lunardi (I know!) now has Duke in the next four out

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    If I’m Huff, I’m not worried in this game about a guard in the post whose face is at elbow level.
    Maybe I should've said, "missed" instead of "probably missed". Any way you look at it though (for whatever reason), that matchhup didn't seem to affect us adversely too much. It certainly could have been disastrous. I haven't read all posts yet but any insight from anyone as to why Mark didn't play in the 2nd half...other than possibly K wanted to go small to apply more pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by KandG View Post
    Williams struggled several times with the switches guarding the perimeter and even with Huff inside; he still had some good moments but VA probably would have focused on attacking him more in the second half. Brakefield’s breakout in the first half probably made it easier for K to keep Mark on the bench, and it turned out to be a good decision.
    Thanks for the info re:Mark...makes perfect sense concerning all the switching.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Coach K press conference. He addresses your question.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRo0bj9y9kY

My car doesn't have a rear view mirror. Love his answer to a question about a past win over UVA
    Thanks for the link/information. Brakefield played an excellent game n came up huge! He’s really improving so much with each game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    Lunardi (I know!) now has Duke in the next four out
    Which, as we all know means nothing for two reasons:

1) Lunardi doesn't pick the teams
    2) Teams still have lots of games to play.

Effing Lunardi, man...