Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachJ10 View Post
    Those are our turnovers the last 3 games. That’s called playing smarter, harder and more disciplined.

If Huff had a Duke uniform on...he’d have 5 fouls called on him before warmups. Me no likely his game.

Coleman...Brake...seizing the moment. Kudos to you, young men.
    Excellent observation & a great stat. Not to mention, night & day difference in Duke’s D compared to a couple of weeks ago. And...the FLOOR SLAP late in the game! A great team win!!

Duke's defense switched on every play and made it difficult for UVA to score. We toughed it out on offense with excellent performances from Hurt and Brakefield. Lots of contributors and I think that doesn't represent the best game these kids can play. If we start believing and get better games from the entire rotation, this team is a threat.

There were some bad periods in the game. We went for a long period in which the less efficient offensive players were handling the ball and taking shots with poor results. Throw in a few turnovers and we let UVA back and had to claw our way back.

I thought Goldwire, Moore and Brakefield all played inspired defense so they make a case for being on the floor. Brakefield's offense was there as well which made the loss of JJ go unnoticed. Coleman also had some good plays during his short period on the floor.

Great to win so Steward doesn't become the goat for missing FT's.

Way to go Duke!! We adapted to adversity (some missed opportunities & questionable calls) & moved well on offense. We fought hard and kept our heads up the entire game. That’s what a good team does. So proud!
    Go DUKE!!
    Last edited by bluedev_92; 02-20-2021 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Floor slapping!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hey, I hear ya, but what if the possession arrow had belonged to virginia? In all likelihood we would've post a close game because somebody fumbled a fairly simple pass.
    A great win, but it could easily have been another close loss.

Felt like a second weekend NCAAT game. Very intense with both teams cranking up the D in the 2nd half. So proud of this team, not backing down, even when VA looked to pull away when they went up by 5 with several minutes to go. Keeping their composure even when calls went the other way.
    I was surprised that VA did not take advantage of all the switches that put Goldwire on Huff.
    This Duke team has really started to find itself.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    Congrats on the win. UVA had no answer for Hurt and Brakefield had a great game. I'm sure the sky is falling over on The Sabre so I'll just post here instead lol. UVA is still a tourney lock so I'm not going to sweat a 1 point loss on the road at Duke. Just wish we had the opportunity to run it back in Charlottesville. Oh well, maybe we'll see you in the ACC tournament.
    Nonsense - Hauser was every bit the player Hurt was. Great players in a great game.

Who'd think switching Goldwire onto Huff would be successful over and over? Kihei couldn't see or pass around the bigger players switched onto him.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Nonsense - Hauser was every bit the player Hurt was. Great players in a great game.

Who'd think switching Goldwire onto Huff would be successful over and over? Kihei couldn't see or pass around the bigger players switched onto him.

-jk
    Maybe found a new "wrinkle"... I thought for sure, with Goldwire on Huff, it was "game over". But noooo...

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong but Coach K is now 12-4 against Tony Bennett.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Hey, I hear ya, but what if the possession arrow had belonged to virginia? In all likelihood we would've post a close game because somebody fumbled a fairly simple pass.
    He fumbled it but it wasn’t a pass; it was a tipped rebound.

5 thoughts…

1. As I watched the game, I started feeling similarly to the '91 game vs. UNLV. Both UVA and UNLV expected to win. Duke, the underdog, is fighting and keeping it tough. UVA (UNLV) finally gets a 5 point lead, and you think the game could run away from the Devils. But they fight back. Brakefield's bucket reminded me of Davis's bucket vs. UNLV (though Davis converted his 3-point play). And then UVA has the final shot, they come down and can't hit it. The UNLV win was sweeter, and to me it remains the biggest win in Duke history. But for this season, this win cannot be overstated.

2. Hurt was so solid, hit so many big shots. I was thinking they would need 3 players in double figures with production off the bench to win. I just didn’t think that Brake would be one of those guys. Obviously this was his best game all season. 11/5 with 4 blocks! Steward had been playing so well, but Brake definitely stepped his game up. Duke does not win without him.

3. 18 points off the bench! Coleman played very solid in his minutes. And JGold was his typical pesky self with 4 steals.

4. I'm very impressed with Huff and Hauser. Huff seemed unstoppable when he got the ball down low. But credit Duke's defense and the scheme. They tried to make Clark beat them. He scored 15. But he needed 15 shots to do so, which means he couldn't get the ball to his scorers. So he had to try to score himself. K's plan worked so well... I find it amazing I'm writing good things about Duke's defense given the earlier performances.

5. I hope the team celebrates this win tonight. But they need to keep it rolling on Monday versus Syracuse. We don't want to see another Miami game. Stay sharp, Devils.

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    They didn’t even review the screen by Huff that laid out Moore. Definitely leaned his shoulder in.

UVA has mastered how to dupe the officials into thinking that they don’t foul because they keep their arms up while moving their bodies into offensive players.
    He was definitely moving his left shoulder into Moore, but he was still directly above his foot, so it's not like he went after Moore. Moore began his move for the ball not anticipating Hurt would continue rotating his torso. I think it was the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    It was terrific. The best D we've played under real pressure this year. hoo never got their hallowed line formed and unless they're wide open for 3s they're pretty average
    Hauser wasn't open on some of those 3s!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I definitely took notice of that and had the apprehensions. Our offensive execution down the stretch was poor, we just forced UVa into bad offense too.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Thanks for this reminder. Getting the ten is really meaningful, and without the OOC Christmas padding, was a lot harder this year.
    Let’s go for 20!

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Floor slapping!
    And following through on it! Clutch block on that possession.

Hurt has what must be close to a Duke record for his 3pt performance over the past 3 games. Stunning really.

Love the defense. I was also surprised how often UVA got the switch they wanted and then did nothing with it.

I remain concerned about our guard's handling the ball. I know who I want shooting a game winning shot (see above), but I am not sure who I want handling the ball to set up theat shot.

I love the continuous improvement. Go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I was gobsmacked at how that elbow from Hauser wasn’t a flagrant when it’s been a flagrant all year.
    Absolutely. He lean into him with force

-jk
    I was watching Hauser and Hurt going at it like they were fighting for draft position. Both played really well. They have a similar niche but Hurt is taller and about three years younger (Hauser is 23!)

Clark is a really good player but also showed that he has a very clearly defined ceiling.

I think there were major positives for every player. Of note to me was that Roach seemed to step up his game a lot.

So many thoughts to get out....

Another thing that feels great about the win is that Virginia played damn good....Hauser was borderline unconscious...Huff is gonna play in the league...Clark made threes he shouldn't have...calls went against us to say the least (Wendell got screwed but the missed travel on Hauser was brutal).

All that and we pulled out the dub...let's get into that tourney already!

-jk
    I understand what you're saying, but if I'm a 7 footer with the ball anywhere but right under the basket, I'm not sure I want someone with the quick hands of a Jordan Goldwire guarding me. Granted, they probably missed some opportunities with JGold on him, but why help pad his steals stats? 😁

Hope DJ is ok. Looked to tweak his ankle late in the game. I think that was a factor in his missed FT at the end.