Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 84, Wake Forest 60 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    If we keep up our play from the last 2 games we don't need the auto-bid.

9-8, 7-6

This team is heating up and playing together just in time for the stretch run. If they can upset UVa Saturday night at Cameron, look out. This performance tonight was very encouraging!

I smiled pretty

Much the entire game. Everyone who stepped on the court tonight for Duke contributed. Total team effort.

And oh yea...that was just a filthy performance, Mr Hurt.

And oh yea x 2...if Brake throws that attempt down...even without a crowd that gym would have exploded.
    Windy City Devil

Wow, really solid and encouraging performance. Post-Jalen bump? So many positives, but strong defense to limit their perimeter looks, Mark Williams, and Joey's shooting night really stand out. Hoping we can keep growing from this. Go Duke!

We looked like Duke tonight.

Mark Williams does so much for the team when he’s on the floor. There were multiple drives by Wake’s guards where they had second thoughts about attacking the basket. He alters shots and prevents a lot of easy buckets from the other team.

Hurt was fantastic tonight shooting the ball. Baker also had a sneaky-nice game off the bench.

Brakefield had a number of hustle plays, especially in the first half, that helped bring us out to a big lead.

Felt like the team was more active defensively and moving more off-ball on offense. Everyone on the team gave great energy and effort. Can’t ask for more than that!

Limited sample size, but it seems that Baker and Brakefield are the beneficiaries of our suddenly smaller roster. Looks like a good thing so far.

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Enjoyed this one. Team played loose but with purpose. The O was great with Hurt doing his best Danny Ferry impersonation, but the D is improving. Really good games by Williams and Baker and Steward. Moore had some bad turnovers but he is playing with much more confidence. Team is getting better. In a usual season, this should have been a win- but a blowout win is never easy. Will learn a lot on Sat assuming weather does not interfere with travel.

We were 11-25 from three -- same, IIRC, as against UNC. It helped that Wake shot 28 percent (7 for 25) as opposed to UNC's unconscious 67 percent. Credit, of course, to Duke's defense tonight.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Awesome effort in every aspect of the game. I'm not going to trash Jalen, I will only say that Brakefield's play made us not miss him at all. Really loved not just the offensive production he gave us in the first half but the defensive effort and the way he boxes out his man hard on every possession. Hurt was unstoppable, a sniper who hit shots from all over and got anything and everything he wanted. Steward also really asserted himself. We're finally starting to form our identity around Hurt as our primary option, Steward as a creator, Moore doing a little bit of everything, Williams improving each game, and everybody else filling their roles around them. Baker hunted his shot well after taking a blow to the ribs early, he's playing more like the guy we expected this season.

By my count we turned it over on three out of our first four possessions, but only had six for the whole game which is incredible. Wake might have seemed like an overmatched opponent but they did almost beat FSU last weekend. Maybe this was a letdown for them and losing their coach didn't help, but we were so impressive and when both the offense and defense are clicking like this we are a lot of fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    By my count we turned it over on three out of our first four possessions, but only had six for the whole game which is incredible.
    And we had 17 assists to those 6 turnovers. Very nice.

WOW! What a game for the Bluedevils. Matt Hurt was great again, finally playing his correct position. Mark Wiliams is becoming a force in the middle. Hell, everybody in a Duke uniform played well. Good to see Baker shooting the 3 like he did. Exactly what we need from him going forward. Really turning up the defense and you can tell by the energy. Hopefully this team is starting to put it together, and not a minute too soon. Now let’s go get one over UVA. Keep it rolling!

Virginia will be a different kettle of fish.

Great W!
    -First half D set the tone
    -Hurt's scoring was effortless tonight, we actually should have tried to get him even more touches the way he was throwing flames
    -Brake's quick 7 got us going and, yes, CoachJ10, his attempted slam was epic
    -Mark Williams a real force in the first half and I like that power and strength he showed on that second half dunk.
    -DJ's scoring was quietly effective
    -Very happy for Joey Baker to see a bunch of 3s go in.
    -I like that K played everyone in the 9 man rotation in the first half, I think that will keep everyone engaged. If 2015 was "8 is enough" after Rasheed got kicked off the team, maybe this team can be "9 is enough". Of course, we know with K, 7 is really enough.
    -Low turnovers - me likes
    -Our 3 point shooting has come a long way these past 3 games
    -Is Tape the Duke 2021 equivalent of the Auerbach victory cigar?
    -Loved the John Thompson towel tribute.
    -Forbes getting tossed was quite bizarre
    -Major props to Wake for having the NBA-style fan video board in Lawrence Joel. I'm impressed.

Good momentum heading into the game with the Hoos.

Duke is now 28th on Kenpom.

Game recap, five observations, and player of the game. There was a never a doubt in this one.

https://bluedevilstop.com/duke-domin...s-wake-forest/

Love it! They were in attack mode, esp. first half. Driving the lane, finishing or kicking out for open three-mostly. Need to continue to improve, love watching the team mature.

Loved it! Effort, focus, offense, defense, teamwork. Everything i could ask for.

Credit to @BrotherhoodCBB for the following...

Hurt Nowitzki

Absolutely loved the defense tonight. Can't wait to see how they look against Virginia, who will obviously be significantly tougher. That game will tell us everything we need to know about where this team is defensively.