Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    First TroubleMaker and now Johnson. Jesus take the wheel...
    Hahaha... perhaps they are one and the same!

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Pretty shocking and unprecedented. We’ve had players struggle before, but I can’t recall one ever just giving up. There wasn’t really that much season left and it’s not like Johnson was a surefire lottery pick. Continuing to play would have presumably given him a chance to improve. There definitely seems to be some behind the scenes stuff going on, one of the journalists hinted during his earlier injury that there was more to it than just the physical injury and now this makes us all wonder what the heck is going on.
    I really don’t understand this “not a surefire lottery pick” mentality. He’s going to be a lottery pick. James Wiseman opted out on Memphis last year and went #2.

The only issue here to me is the potential questions around him doing this at HS and now college. But potential and talent-wise, he’s going in the lottery.
    Last edited by FerryFor50; 02-15-2021 at 07:09 PM.

He's a 19 year old kid and these are crazy times. I don't know what happened behind the scenes obviously, but I wish him nothing but the best in the future. In the meantime, let's keep in cheering for the guys still on the team!

I believe that there is a lot more to this unprecedented action than we have been told.

Didn't he transfer from his local high school to a nationally known school for his senior year and then transfer back home ?
    Clearly there is a maturity issue and I wish him well in his future plans.

But let's be honest, every time he played he hurt our teams chances of winning and hurt his draft stock.

In Coach K's post game presser after NC State he was asked a specific question regarding JJ and spoke of the physical nature of the college game. Not the answer NBA scouts want to hear about a prospect.

It may be a little raw to say, but I think this will help our team in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Looks like Jeff Goodman was on to something back in December.
    I mean, you could tell he wasn’t really interested the past few weeks. Part of it was being benched, but he was likely benched because he wasn’t interested.

He was at his best against Pitt, when he gave it his all and competed. Not sure what’s up with his motor.

Okay wish him well but won’t be posting about him in Dukies in NBA thread. He won’t count

I’ve thought for weeks that he needed the Carlos Boozer “unpack your bags” speech. Apparently, he decided not to unpack.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    I really don’t understand this “not a surefire lottery pick” mentality. He’s going to be a lottery pick. James Wiseman opted out on Memphis last year and went #2.

The only issue here to me is the potential questions around him doing this at HS and now college. But potential and talent-wise, he’s going in the lottery.
    Wisemen didn't voluntarily opt out. His situation was quite political.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    Ah ok.

Wasn’t a knock on Wiseman, just stating that opting out isn’t a death knell to draft stock.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaDave View Post
    I still much more enjoy watching Mark Williams develop into an ACC player- one of the few bright spots of this year. A likeable kid with a ton of potential.

I’m not saying this team is winning a chip but remember the 2015 took off after Sulimon was kicked off the team

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I still much more enjoy watching Mark Williams develop into an ACC player- one of the few bright spots of this year. A likeable kid with a ton of potential.
    I agree with this. I’ve been a huge fan of almost every one and done player we’ve had, but I’ve never really been super enamored with Jalen. Something just didn’t seem right. Had nothing to do with talent; you could see that he could play. Just had more to do with demeanor.

The decrease in his minutes played may have something to do with this.

I don’t think I would view this move as a good sign if I were an NBA GM. You want a competitor with heart.

I’m sick of one and dones. When will the NBA start drafting HS seniors?

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    I’m not saying this team is winning a chip but remember the 2015 took off after Sulimon was kicked off the team
    So you're telling me there is a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    The decrease in his minutes played may have something to do with this.

I don’t think I would view this move as a good sign if I were an NBA GM. You want a competitor with heart.

I’m sick of one and dones. When will the NBA start drafting HS seniors?

We're having a season with the least number of 1nds recently that also happens to be our worst season in a while...

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Seconding what a lot have said... I was one of the first to pile on Jeff Goodman for his vague reporting earlier in the year, but I guess he was on to something. I still maintain that his actions belied a lack of journalistic integrity (you don’t “tease” for clicks, you either report if you have the sources or you don’t), but turns out he was right.

I doubt we’ll ever know the full story here, so I’m not even gonna hold out hope. I’ll focus instead on this year. This means the squad we are going to field is going to likely be the veteran core of the squad next year. More playing time for guys like Jaemyn, Henry and Mark to develop. And it does make it easier to fully shift the teams identity into a Matt/Mark front court.

As an aside, I just don’t get this from JJs side either. He’s leaving when his stock is arguably at its lowest, and this is not going to help. He could be looking at a slide from projected lottery into late first round a la RJ Hampton and Cole Anthony this past year.

Ready to root hard for the guys wearing Duke across their chests the rest of this season. Sad JJ won’t be one of them, and I sincerely hope things work out well for the kid.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Sounds like this is more of “you can’t fire me bc I quit” situation

With all due respect, good night and good luck. Next play!

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    Looks like Jeff Goodman was on to something back in December.
    He def was. There was a lot of smoke all season.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Sounds like this is more of “you can’t bench me bc I quit” situation
    FIFY
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Addition by subtraction.