Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    The Addidas scandal broke in 2017. Arizona fired Book Richardson in 2018. By October 2019 Richardson had already been convicted, sentenced and released.

Seems like the Addidas scandal did not take down Sean Miller...until Arizona started missing the tournament.
    Yeah, that is more-or-less true, although exaggerating a bit - they would have made the tourney last year, and would have been a bubble team this year had they not self-imposed (final Kenpom #29). There were discussions about firing him earlier, FWIW. The whole story and Miller's place in it took a while to become completely clear - what exactly was in the wiretap wasn't officially known until 2019, for example - and the current AD was hired in 2017, both of which probably slowed things. That said, yeah, the cardinal sin is to cheat AND lose, not just cheat.

I find it hard to imagine Drew is going anywhere - why would he leave Baylor? The Gonzaga assistant sounds like an interesting choice.

UA is still celebrating the women's team, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsondevil View Post
    Yeah, that is more-or-less true, although exaggerating a bit - they would have made the tourney last year, and would have been a bubble team this year had they not self-imposed (final Kenpom #29). There were discussions about firing him earlier, FWIW. The whole story and Miller's place in it took a while to become completely clear - what exactly was in the wiretap wasn't officially known until 2019, for example - and the current AD was hired in 2017, both of which probably slowed things. That said, yeah, the cardinal sin is to cheat AND lose, not just cheat.

I find it hard to imagine Drew is going anywhere - why would he leave Baylor? The Gonzaga assistant sounds like an interesting choice.

UA is still celebrating the women's team, in any case.
    To become part of the Conference of Champions!
    Last edited by Bay Area Duke Fan; 04-08-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Not part of a head coaching carousel, but still curious...

ESPN: Randolph Childress no longer part of Wake Forest Demon Deacons men's basketball staff

The plan now is for Childress to work with athletic director John Currie and university leadership on "strategic projects" benefitting the school as well as exploring other coaching jobs.
    In other words, he plans to stay at Wake Forest until he doesn't. He was an assistant coach for 2 seasons under Jeff Bzdelik, 6 seasons under Danny Manning, and 1 season under Steve Forbes. I wonder what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Not part of a head coaching carousel, but still curious...

ESPN: Randolph Childress no longer part of Wake Forest Demon Deacons men's basketball staff

In other words, he plans to stay at Wake Forest until he doesn't. He was an assistant coach for 2 seasons under Jeff Bzdelik, 6 seasons under Danny Manning, and 1 season under Steve Forbes. I wonder what happened.
    His son is no longer there. Perhaps that was primarily what was keeping him there recently.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    His son is no longer there. Perhaps that was primarily what was keeping him there recently.
    And perhaps because he didn't get to follow the Juwan/Hubert path.

-jk

Shocker? Sorry, that's Wichita State. Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd taking over at Arizona according to reports.

Edit to add linky: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...ch-sources-say

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Shocker? Sorry, that's Wichita State. Gonzaga assistant Tommy Lloyd taking over at Arizona according to reports.
    ESPN has the story.

Over the past few weeks, Lloyd had emerged as the favorite to replace Sean Miller in Tucson. Arizona looked at coaches with connections to the Wildcats, namely Pacific's Damon Stoudamire, Georgia Tech's Josh Pastner and Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Miles Simon, but they opted to go outside the family.
    Sounds like the opposite of what UNC did.

Some former U of A players are angry about the hire, I hear.

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Some former U of A players are angry about the hire, I hear.
    Any links to that ?

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Any links to that ?
    https://sports.yahoo.com/arizonas-se...121231317.html

Does anyone know if Wojo is in the hunt for any of the remaining openings, or else what the future may hold for him?

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Does anyone know if Wojo is in the hunt for any of the remaining openings, or else what the future may hold for him?
    Here's the blurb I found:
    Marquette head coach Steve Wojciechowski has received a contract extension that runs through the 2023-24 season, the team announced Monday. The 42-year-old was previously signed through the 2021-22 season after agreeing to an extension in 2015, but he now goes into next season with five years secured under contract.
    I am sure he will want to do something before 2024, but I doubt that he is eager to jump back in right now.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Upthread someone noted that Odom left UMBC for Utah State. UMBC, though definitely a step backwards from Marquette, would have been a logical fit for Wojo, but they quickly hired Jim Ferry, who had been interim coach at Penn State. I could see him wanting to take a year, particularly since he is getting paid for a few years.

I would not be shocked if Wojo also explored broadcasting. He's a good interview.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hmmm... perhaps match this with the announcer thread addition today of Dan "I don't expect to be retained" Dakich, maybe?

$70 million for Stevens?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Well, if an offer of $70 million to coach a college team in the state where he was born and raised was not enough to get Brad Stevens to leave the Celtics ☘️ then Duke has no shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, if an offer of $70 million to coach a college team in the state where he was born and raised was not enough to get Brad Stevens to leave the Celtics ☘️ then Duke has no shot.
    Unless he's a big fan of Bullock's.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Unless he's a big fan of Bullock's.
    I haven’t returned to Bullock’s since Tommy died. He was such a great guy. I’m kind of surprised they’re still open without him. Maybe I’ll stop by tomorrow.