Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanarkel View Post
    I am not disputing the above data, but 247 ranks IU's recruiting classes since 2016 as follows:

2016: 23rd

2017: 32nd

2018: 10th

2019: 53rd(looks mediocre but contained IU's arguably two best current players-Trayce Jackson-Davis/Armaan Franklin)

2020: 15th

(2021: one signee to date)
    They don't necessarily disagree. First, the quoted post may have used espn while you used 247, so there can be a bit of a difference in player ratings (especially after the top prospects). Second, when ten programs probably suck up most of the top 25 talent, and then along with the next ten get most of the top 50, this may jibe. Example: how many times have just Duke and Kentucky had about 7 or 8 of the top 25 recruits between them?

Edit: Went and looked at 2018 (the most obvious oddity of the years you listed) and Duke and Kentucky got 8 of the espn top 25. That year Indiana got the #5 recruit which will boost a class rating a lot.
    Last edited by dudog84; 03-29-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    They don't necessarily disagree. First, the quoted post may have used espn while you used 247, so there can be a bit of a difference in player ratings (especially after the top prospects). Second, when ten programs probably suck up most of the top 25 talent, and then along with the next ten get most of the top 50, this may jibe. Example: how many times have just Duke and Kentucky had about 7 or 8 of the top 25 recruits between them?

Edit: Went and looked at 2018 (the most obvious oddity of the years you listed) and Duke and Kentucky got 8 of the espn top 25. That year Indiana got the #5 recruit which will boost a class rating a lot.
    I was using 247 for my figures and my point was not to rate the overall class but to point out that IU has not been landing elite, top 25/50 kinda talent much at all lately. Heck, they have barely been landing top 100 recruits. A program can make up for that by signing a few extra guys in the 100-200 range, and plenty of useful players show up in that area, but if you really want to compete at the top of the Big Ten, you gotta get some studs.

Also, overall recruiting rankings can be really skewed by class size. Which would you rather get, a T10 and a T25 player or 4 players ranked between 50 and 100? Cause many recruiting rankings will tell you the 4 50-100 players constitute a better recruiting class even though I am very clear which I would rather get.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

And now we have Chris Beard to Texas (in addition to the retirement of Roy).

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I wonder if Roy's announcement earned Beard a little more scratch on his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I wonder if Roy's announcement earned Beard a little more scratch on his contract.
    Ha, I just speculated the same thing in the Roy thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    His teams play an ugly style of basketball, but they continue to win. Interested to see if it continues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I think the timing had more to do with the fact that on April 1 his buyout for going to another conference team went down from $5 million to $4 million. Since Shaka saved them $7 million by leaving on his own, Texas just got an $8 million bonus, so Beard could name his own price anyway.

With Beard and Schaefer, Texas-Baylor should get pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    His teams play an ugly style of basketball, but they continue to win. Interested to see if it continues.
    Tony Bennett isn't going anywhere is he?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    I think the timing had more to do with the fact that on April 1 his buyout for going to another conference team went down from $5 million to $4 million. Since Shaka saved them $7 million by leaving on his own, Texas just got an $8 million bonus, so Beard could name his own price anyway.

With Beard and Schaefer, Texas-Baylor should get pretty interesting.
    Did Smart’s contract have a clause that if he went to another school that school owed Texas money (similar to what Beard has)? In which case Marquette would be paying Texas? Given what was happening, Texas might have waived or lowered that amount.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Did Smart’s contract have a clause that if he went to another school that school owed Texas money (similar to what Beard has)? In which case Marquette would be paying Texas? Given what was happening, Texas might have waived or lowered that amount.
    Apparently the Texas AD invited Smart to find another job, so that would not be a factor. Shaka saved them a ton of money by leaving, so I think everybody is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Tony Bennett isn't going anywhere is he?
    Well, he left his heart in San Francisco.

DePaul hired Oregon assistant Tony Stubblefield.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...sketball-coach

Kansas has given Bill Self a lifetime contract... it is a 5 year extension that rolls over every year.
    https://twitter.com/CJMooreHoops/sta...00226808705024
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Kansas has given Bill Self a lifetime contract... it is a 5 year extension that rolls over every year.
    ah. the Hewitt clause.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    ah. the Hewitt clause.
    My first thought as well. Attempting to keep UNC at bay? Does Self warrant a lifetime contract? I mean, more than Hewitt certainly, but that is a low bar.

Reminds me of Valvano's quote - "They gave me a lifetime contract then they declared me dead." Given all of the noise around the Kansas program, wouldn't be shocked if the same thing happened.

Doesn't K have one of those?

-jk

Looks like Loyola Chicago’s Porter Moser is headed to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Looks like Loyola Chicago’s Porter Moser is headed to Oklahoma.
    Here's the CBS link.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Wow. Just got an ESPN notification that Sean Miller is out at Arizona.

Reported by Jeff Borzello.