Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Most importantly, I think he saw the handwriting on the wall at Texas. Secondly, he grew up in Madison, Wisconsin and went to college in Ohio, so Milwaukee does have some appeal to him. I'm curious what type of financial arrangement was made regarding any buyout at Texas, as Marquette in many ways did them a favor - it looks like he is owed $7.1 million for the next two years at Texas.
    A lot of his guys at Texas were heading out the door. Matt Coleman was a senior, Andrew Jones was a redshirt-junior, Kai Jones and Greg Brown are going pro. The roster was going to be really thin. Good on him for cashing out. I wonder if he'll approach the new situation differently than he did Texas. He completely abandoned the "40 minutes of hell" he had been running at VCU when he showed up in Austin in favor of a more traditional offensive and defensive scheme. Maybe he'll go back to the pressing/trapping approach with more multi-year players. There's no shortage of basketball talent in the Midwest.

I did not know that Shaka grew up in Wisconsin. That's good for him, he knows what he is getting in Milwaukee ( bad, long winters)

Was he going to be fired at Texas? I have no insider knowledge but thought he had bought himself some additional time with a good regular season and tournament appearance. Albeit the loss to Abilene Christian didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I did not know that Shaka grew up in Wisconsin. That's good for him, he knows what he is getting in Milwaukee ( bad, long winters)

Was he going to be fired at Texas? I have no insider knowledge but thought he had bought himself some additional time with a good regular season and tournament appearance. Albeit the loss to Abilene Christian didn't help.
    Hard to say exactly if Shaka was going to get fired at Texas but he certainly was wearing out his welcome fast. Zero NCAAT wins, zero Big XII titles, and a sub .500 Big XII record in 6 seasons there. He wasn’t blowing the doors off the place. He did win the NIT one year and these last two years have been crazy for everyone. I wish him luck. He still has the final four run in 2011 at VCU on his resume.

I think the loss to Abilene Christian put his job in real jeopardy. I think the fact that it was another Texas school was the real problem, if they got upset by some other random high seed anywhere else in the country Smart is probably still the Texas coach next year.

On a related note, Shaka Smart has hair now. He may have had it for awhile but I haven’t seen this guy in years. I had to do a double take to recognize him in a picture.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    On a related note, Shaka Smart has hair now. He may have had it for awhile but I haven’t seen this guy in years. I had to do a double take to recognize him in a picture.
    I think he looked better without it.

He moved his hair from his face to his head.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    A lot of his guys at Texas were heading out the door. Matt Coleman was a senior, Andrew Jones was a redshirt-junior, Kai Jones and Greg Brown are going pro. The roster was going to be really thin. Good on him for cashing out. I wonder if he'll approach the new situation differently than he did Texas. He completely abandoned the "40 minutes of hell" he had been running at VCU when he showed up in Austin in favor of a more traditional offensive and defensive scheme. Maybe he'll go back to the pressing/trapping approach with more multi-year players. There's no shortage of basketball talent in the Midwest.
    I also thought it was odd that he abandoned the havoc defense. I always speculated that he felt it was better suited for edgy mid-major players with a huge chip on their shoulders.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Hard to say exactly if Shaka was going to get fired at Texas but he certainly was wearing out his welcome fast. Zero NCAAT wins, zero Big XII titles, and a sub .500 Big XII record in 6 seasons there. He wasn’t blowing the doors off the place. He did win the NIT one year and these last two years have been crazy for everyone. I wish him luck. He still has the final four run in 2011 at VCU on his resume.
    Texas won the Big12 Tournament this year - I believe for the first time - but the first round loss with a loaded team was his undoing, unfortunately

Preemptive move

The Austin American Stateman had a number of articles as well as a podcast about Shaka, and their three main sports writers (Cedric Goldman, Kirk Bohls, and Brian Davis) all agreed that he would be fired. Six years without an NCAA victory and the loss to Abilene Christian were already too much, but they also have to fill a new and very expensive arena in 2022, so there was no way he could survive.

He is leaving $7.1 million on the table, but he leaves with his personal reputation intact since everyone seems to like him. With six seniors, two players in the transfer portal, and two guys leaving early for the NBA (one announced, the other expected), the cupboard will be largely bare, so next year would have been worse. They need somebody to come in and recruit heavily from the transfer portal, but there is no reason why Texas can't win in the NCAAs. They have a good four-man freshman class, so with a little patience the new guy can make it work. Of course, that's what they said about Shaka. Not to mention that it's always open season on coaches in Austin, but money talks.

Quote Originally Posted by mike88 View Post
    Texas won the Big12 Tournament this year - I believe for the first time - but the first round loss with a loaded team was his undoing, unfortunately
    That is right, he did win the conference tournament title this year.

No regular season titles for him at Texas, though ...

I noticed the same thing during their NCAA tournament game! I guess I had not seen him since pre-Covid, and did a double take when they showed him on the sidelines. It took several different shots to convince me that it was, in fact, Shaka. I too think he looked better without it.

My neighbors here in Steamboat Springs, elev. 7,000 and 300 inches of snow a year, spend much of the winter here because "it's warmer than Wisconsin."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    The Austin American Stateman had a number of articles as well as a podcast about Shaka, and their three main sports writers (Cedric Goldman, Kirk Bohls, and Brian Davis) all agreed that he would be fired. Six years without an NCAA victory and the loss to Abilene Christian were already too much, but they also have to fill a new and very expensive arena in 2022, so there was no way he could survive.

He is leaving $7.1 million on the table, but he leaves with his personal reputation intact since everyone seems to like him. With six seniors, two players in the transfer portal, and two guys leaving early for the NBA (one announced, the other expected), the cupboard will be largely bare, so next year would have been worse. They need somebody to come in and recruit heavily from the transfer portal, but there is no reason why Texas can't win in the NCAAs. They have a good four-man freshman class, so with a little patience the new guy can make it work. Of course, that's what they said about Shaka. Not to mention that it's always open season on coaches in Austin, but money talks.
    I don't think the world works that way. Texas is saving $7.1 million by Shaka Smart's "voluntary" departure. I have to believe that some of it is going to Marquette and to Shaka.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The movement these openings are going to create is going to be epic. Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, and possibly Arizona... these are big time jobs with rich alumni and traditions that will dictate going after big name replacements.

I have to think that Chris Beard and Scott Drew will be on the short list for all of these openings. Porter Moser too.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The movement these openings are going to create is going to be epic. Texas, Oklahoma, Indiana, and possibly Arizona... these are big time jobs with rich alumni and traditions that will dictate going after big name replacements.

I have to think that Chris Beard and Scott Drew will be on the short list for all of these openings. Porter Moser too.
    What's the latest info on Sean Miller's status? It's hard to believe he's survived this long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    What's the latest info on Sean Miller's status? It's hard to believe he's survived this long.
    Well, his contract runs only through 2021, and he hasn't been renewed in four years. And he had an assistant or two doing time in federal prison. Draw your own conclusions . . .

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I don't think the world works that way. Texas is saving $7.1 million by Shaka Smart's "voluntary" departure. I have to believe that some of it is going to Marquette and to Shaka.
    Without doubt.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    More Kruger talk. Oklahoma's Lon is retiring.
    Always liked Lon.

Question for the community, with Lon Kruger going to Final Fours in 1994 and 2016, has there ever been another coach to go 22 years in between Final Fours?
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Always liked Lon.

Question for the community, with Lon Kruger going to Final Fours in 1994 and 2016, has there ever been another coach to go 22 years in between Final Fours?
    Great trivia question and the answer is yes. DePaul's Ray Meyer went 36 (!) years between FF appearances, in 1943 and then the great 1979 team with Mark Aguirre.

Roy to Texas. It’s gonna happen. Texas mad about Mack Brown and Roy has Big 12 roots.