Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I didn't look at the line but I'm supposing State was our third ATS win all year?

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I didn't look at the line but I'm supposing State was our third ATS win all year?
    I believe we covered at State, vs Clemson at Notre Dame, and vs Ga Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    They block shots pretty well and defend 2s solildly. But their value defensively is that they don't foul at all, and they don't allow second-chance points. In both stats they are top-15. Everything else they do poorly (by design; the pack line doesn't force turnovers nor does it prevent 3s). But they do what they do just well enough to be a top-25 defense.

Agree that this isn't a vintage UVa team. It's helped by this being a relatively weak year in college in general, and by having a great system.
    Biggest issue for the UVA defense is that there are 3 guys who lately have been typically playing 30+mpg (Hauser, Murphy, Beekman) who haven't come anywhere close to the requisite minutes (usually about 1k career minutes AT UVa on the floor, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, but 1k a good benchmark) required to become really proficient in the pack-line. It just takes SOOOOOO many reps to become almost totally instinctual in the rotations and responsibilities to make that system TRULY elite - especially when you have some guys who have athleticism/movement/strength limitations. The big spots especially are critically important with all the hedge-the-screen-and-recover, and double-the-post-and-recover responsibilities. Based on minutes projections, there's a *chance* that everything on the D side will click for those guys by the time the NCAA tournament rolls around, but it's hardly a given. I'm kind of doubtful, especially with all the limitations covid put on offseason programs, as well as interrupting/limiting practice during the season.

This UVA team likely will go as far as hot 3pt shooting takes them. If they go cold, or face a team of vastly superior athletes who apply intense pressure consistently, they'll probably go down. The one thing I'd like to see them do is be a little more assertive/tough-minded. Aside from Clark, nobody on the team seems to have that elite-level of competitive fire. They're a little soft, especially when things aren't going right.

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo2000 View Post
    Biggest issue for the UVA defense is that there are 3 guys who lately have been typically playing 30+mpg (Hauser, Murphy, Beekman) who haven't come anywhere close to the requisite minutes (usually about 1k career minutes AT UVa on the floor, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, but 1k a good benchmark) required to become really proficient in the pack-line. It just takes SOOOOOO many reps to become almost totally instinctual in the rotations and responsibilities to make that system TRULY elite - especially when you have some guys who have athleticism/movement/strength limitations. The big spots especially are critically important with all the hedge-the-screen-and-recover, and double-the-post-and-recover responsibilities. Based on minutes projections, there's a *chance* that everything on the D side will click for those guys by the time the NCAA tournament rolls around, but it's hardly a given. I'm kind of doubtful, especially with all the limitations covid put on offseason programs, as well as interrupting/limiting practice during the season.

This UVA team likely will go as far as hot 3pt shooting takes them. If they go cold, or face a team of vastly superior athletes who apply intense pressure consistently, they'll probably go down. The one thing I'd like to see them do is be a little more assertive/tough-minded. Aside from Clark, nobody on the team seems to have that elite-level of competitive fire. They're a little soft, especially when things aren't going right.
    Where have I heard that recently?
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Apparently Northeastern took the bait and is playing UNC tonight. I hope they're getting a big fat check for this, because otherwise it seems crazy to fly down from Boston on a whim to play a non-conference game in the middle of February.

[42]North Carolina (-13) hosts [164]Northeastern (7:00, ACCNX)
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Apparently Northeastern took the bait and is playing UNC tonight. I hope they're getting a big fat check for this, because otherwise it seems crazy to fly down from Boston on a whim to play a non-conference game in the middle of February.

[42]North Carolina (-13) hosts [164]Northeastern (7:00, ACCNX)
    I, for one, hope that by this evening, Roy won't be in the dadgum Ash Wednesday spirit.

State tried really hard to give that game back to Pitt at the end but Pitt didn't take it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post

Saturday
    [20]Florida State (7-2) (-4) hosts [32]Virginia Tech (8-3) (12:00, ACCN)
    [132]Miami (3-11) (+5) hosts [58]Georgia Tech (6-6) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [57]Syracuse (6-5) (-2) hosts [53]Notre Dame (6-7) (2:00, ACCN)
    [110]]Wake Forest (3-9) (+1) hosts [81]NC State (4-8) (2:00, ACCNX)
    [43]North Carolina (7-5) (-1) hosts [31]Louisville (6-3) (6:00, ESPN)
    [34]Duke (6-6) (+2) hosts [9]Virginia (11-1) (8:00, ESPN)
    Several interesting games today to watch as warm ups to the main event. FSU looked outstanding beating Virginia. Can the Seminoles dominate Virginia Tech? It would be nice to watch Wake and State because I like watching Big 4 games but it is streaming only. Finally, it is always entertaining to root for Carolina to lose.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Several interesting games today to watch as warm ups to the main event. FSU looked outstanding beating Virginia. Can the Seminoles dominate Virginia Tech? It would be nice to watch Wake and State because I like watching Big 4 games but it is streaming only. Finally, it is always entertaining to root for Carolina to lose.
    FYI, VT is on pause so FSU is playing at Pitt instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jhmoss1812 View Post
    FYI, VT is on pause so FSU is playing at Pitt instead.
    Thanks. I just turned on the TV to discover softball on ACCN at noon instead of basketball.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The ACCNX games are also on Fox Sports Carolinas...

Ga Tech takes down Miami with ease (goodness, our loss to the Canes is a real thorn in our side at this point) 87-60. GaT has a huge game next against Va Tech. A win there and they could be in decent shape for a NCAA bid.

ND and Syracuse -- a game the Orange cannot afford to lose -- tipping off in minutes.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ga Tech takes down Miami with ease (goodness, our loss to the Canes is a real thorn in our side at this point) 87-60.
    Wow, looks like the Yellow Jackets had a 30-point lead at halftime.

Alvarado before the second half: "People of Miami, I give you... Scorpions!"

[plays "Rock You Like a Hurricane" on air guitar]

What did Jim Boeheim say or do to his team at halftime? Whatever it was it's probably illegal in 49 out of the 50 states. In Mississippi probably just frowned upon.

I might have misheard this, and definitely don't have an attribution beyond the announcers of the game I was watching, so I'm looking for clarification. The announcers were talking about the Louisville/uNC game coming up next on the network. They stated that Louisville had a few players out today in Covid protocol and requested a delay of one day so that they could hopefully suit up on Sunday. uNC officials declined, and the game will evidently be played as scheduled today.

If this is true ... what does this say about a school that forced a postponement of the game following the Duke game when a few of their players partied unprotected on Franklin St after the win over Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    I might have misheard this, and definitely don't have an attribution beyond the announcers of the game I was watching, so I'm looking for clarification. The announcers were talking about the Louisville/uNC game coming up next on the network. They stated that Louisville had a few players out today in Covid protocol and requested a delay of one day so that they could hopefully suit up on Sunday. uNC officials declined, and the game will evidently be played as scheduled today.

If this is true ... what does this say about a school that forced a postponement of the game following the Duke game when a few of their players partied unprotected on Franklin St after the win over Duke?
    Pretty much par for the course for that crowd.

This certainly doesn’t look like the same Louisville team we played, that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by TKG View Post
    Pretty much par for the course for that crowd.
    Watching Louisville- UNC now. Two fairly mediocre teams, both arguably better than Duke this year.

I'm impressed with the way UNC runs the court. This seems like effort rather than skill. I hate UNC but wish Duke ran the court as well as the cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Watching Louisville- UNC now. Two fairly mediocre teams, both arguably better than Duke this year.

I'm impressed with the way UNC runs the court. This seems like effort rather than skill. I hate UNC but wish Duke ran the court as well as the cheats.
    I don’t know. Carolina is looking pretty good in this game, unfortunately. 19 point lead at the half.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post

You heard correct the light blu cheats will not give anyone a break.