Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

MBB: Duke 69, NCSU 53 Post Game Thread

Discuss the game here.
    Bob Green

Now THAT is more like it!

8-8, 6-6 ... so you’re telling me there’s a chance?!

Better. Much better!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Mark Williams improves each game. He looked strong today against State’s size with 13 points and five blocks.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Now THAT is more like it!

8-8, 6-6 ... so you’re telling me there’s a chance?!
    Yes!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Discuss the game here.
    Great game. About time. Mark Williams makes a breakthrough. Matthew Hurt was amazing.

I thought the key period of the game was in the first half when our defense throttled the Wolfpack, and we ran up a big lead. State scored four points between 14:16 and 5:11 -- nine minutes.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I had the sound off most of the game as I was only partially watching, but any insight as to why Jalen only played 8 minutes?

Game recap, plus five observations and player of the game. Refreshing to see Duke control a game from start to finish.

https://bluedevilstop.com/duke-cruis...over-nc-state/

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    I had the sound off most of the game as I was only partially watching, but any insight as to why Jalen only played 8 minutes?
    My guess is Coach K was trying to send Jalen a message. Don't think he was hurt.

While we’re at it, any insight on Joey Baker?

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    While we’re at it, any insight on Joey Baker?
    Right. Glad for a solid win, but curious about JJ and JB.

Cory Alexander commented that Mark Williams is taking away Jalen Johnson’s minutes.
    Bob Green

Baker's actually having a tiresome online argument online about his burned redshirt 2ya. He'll be back soon.

Nice to get the win, even it NC State isn't much of a competitor this year. The first half defense was solid and Mark Williams is a bright spot and should continue to develop and get more PT going forward. Hurt had a sensational shooting day and also scrapped on defense. JG also is generally the most secure ball handler on the team and also chips in with defense.

What was not changed is Moore's lack of handle. He is much better off the ball, where his ball handling is less of a liability. Also JJ was really unable to finish around the rim, something that has been missing from his game for most of the year.

The starting team in my view should include, Roach, Stewart, Moore, Hurt and Williams, with Goldwire and JJ off the bench. Hurt needs to avoid reach in fouls so he can stay in the game when needed and JJ needed to learn to play through contact and also defend

Although the announcers didn't elaborate, they did mention when the game started that because of the line up State went with, Coach K changed his line up at the last minute. The change they mentioned is that Hurt got the start which was not the original plan. They did not say that I heard, who he replaced.

The rotation seems to be evolving.

Corey Alexander is nearly as bad as Bill Walton.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    The rotation seems to be evolving.

Corey Alexander is nearly as bad as Bill Walton.

SoCal
    Now wait a minute. While I'm not a fan of Corey, at least I don't get surprised if he talks about basketball during a game.

Walton's a different matter.

Worst segment of the entire game for Duke was probably the end of the first half, when Jalen made a few questionable decisions on offense, including driving for a poster dunk on Bates (which was fed back to him), and then driving into traffic and turning it over; he also missed the front end of a one and one.

Big picture it was barely a speed bump (22 point lead ended up at 18 at halftime). But Williams was playing so well he deserved the minutes.

I can see our team improving steadily, though they were up against a pretty dispirited group that really hung their heads after Beverly’s injury. I’ll feel even better if Jalen can regain his mojo and there’s a role for Baker (though I understand this was a game for Brakefield with State’s size).

Otherwise, can’t complain, nice win, and what a shooting display by Hurt.

scottdude8 is offline Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    This team with a Hurt and Williams front court is just plain different than a Hurt and Johnson front court. Not only was the defensive effort apparent, but you could also see the effect of having a real lost player on some of the open 3s that Hurt got.

This is going to be interesting down the stretch. Johnson has the highest ceiling of any player on this team. But he hasn’t realized that potential on the floor yet, and the pieces seems to “fit” better with Williams right now. How does K balance those down the stretch? Because there will likely be games where we need Johnson to perform at his potential to win.

That will be the storyline going forward. Tonight the storyline is Williams and his effect on Hurt’s game. Some positives after a tough couple weeks.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Yep, just checking to be sure there was a game thread for posting.

Very nice win. Hopefully, a big building block.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.