Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    OK, they just said she was running to first.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

And Duke pounds out 8 runs in the bottom of the fifth to go from a scoreless tie to a run-rule win with no outs recorded in the bottom of the inning. Heck of a way to end a game suddenly. Lots of odd fielding decisions helped Duke out there.

Great execution of a hit and run and multiple squeeze plays to blow the game open.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Wilson was legging out a ground ball and was thrown off stride by the first baseman on a wide throw and landed awkwardly on her right leg. It didn't look like much, but she was down in pain for a bit. She walked off but left the game. Later she was on the bench using crutches to walk. Let's hope it was nothing serious.

The game was called in the bottom of the fifth on the 8-run rule. The score was 0-0 through 4-1/2 innings and NCCU was hitless, so it was an abbreviated no-hitter. Duke scored 8 runs in the bottom of the fifth on three consecutive squeeze bunts followed by a bases-loaded triple and then a two-run homer. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke leading 5-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

I've not watched much softball, but at least one SC player takes a running swing at bat. It's the most bizarre thing. Is that common?
    As long as she is still in the batters box when she makes contact, it’s legal.

A good fast leadoff slapper will be on 2nd base in a matter of a couple of pitches (single then a stolen base).

She‘s watching the 3rd baseman. As the pitcher is winding up, if the 3rd baseman is charging in expecting a bunt down the 3rd base line, the slapper will swing opposite field and just drop the ball to where the 3rd baseman would normally be before charging in. Unlikely for the SS to cover that area. If the 3B stays put, then the basic bunt down 3rd baseline is enough for a fast slapper to beat the throw to first. While in the batter’s box, the slapper is already one step into her acceleration towards 1B and 4ft closer than a right-handed batter.

You can’t defend a very good fast lefty slapper with a good eye and bats skills. Sometimes she will drop the bunt 10 - 15 ft from the plate between 3B and P. Both the 3B and P and the catcher will converge on the ball. All it takes is a tiny bit of hesitation from all three about who should field the ball is enough for the slapper to beat the throw. I have pictures of my daughter beating a throw from the C fielding the bunt and you see the converged P and 1B looking hopeless and useless on defense while the 3b is heading back to 3b to cover 3b. And of course the 2B is covering 1B. It takes 5 players to try to defend the slapper.

Once on 1B, a couple of pitches later she will have stolen 2B, or be on 3B with any base hit.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    The game was called in the bottom of the fifth on the 8-run rule. The score was 0-0 through 4-1/2 innings and NCCU was hitless, so it was an abbreviated no-hitter. Duke scored 8 runs in the bottom of the fifth on three consecutive squeeze bunts followed by a bases-loaded triple and then a two-run homer. Good stuff!
    Abbreviated or not, this counts as a no-hitter for the Duke record books. The first one in Duke softball history.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by flagellaman View Post
    As long as she is still in the batters box when she makes contact, it’s legal.

A good fast leadoff slapper will be on 2nd base in a matter of a couple of pitches (single then a stolen base).

She‘s watching the 3rd baseman. As the pitcher is winding up, if the 3rd baseman is charging in expecting a bunt down the 3rd base line, the slapper will swing opposite field and just drop the ball to where the 3rd baseman would normally be before charging in. Unlikely for the SS to cover that area. If the 3B stays put, then the basic bunt down 3rd baseline is enough for a fast slapper to beat the throw to first. While in the batter’s box, the slapper is already one step into her acceleration towards 1B and 4ft closer than a right-handed batter.

You can’t defend a very good fast lefty slapper with a good eye and bats skills. Sometimes she will drop the bunt 10 - 15 ft from the plate between 3B and P. Both the 3B and P and the catcher will converge on the ball. All it takes is a tiny bit of hesitation from all three about who should field the ball is enough for the slapper to beat the throw. I have pictures of my daughter beating a throw from the C fielding the bunt and you see the converged P and 1B looking hopeless and useless on defense while the 3b is heading back to 3b to cover 3b. And of course the 2B is covering 1B. It takes 5 players to try to defend the slapper.

Once on 1B, a couple of pitches later she will have stolen 2B, or be on 3B with any base hit.
    Thanks, very informative. I'm taking it you are talking about bunting though. This girl was taking full "going for the fence" swings in her run ups though, and by the time she was done missing she was outside of the box.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Thanks, very informative. I'm taking it you are talking about bunting though. This girl was taking full "going for the fence" swings in her run ups though, and by the time she was done missing she was outside of the box.
    Sometimes the slapper would swing to drive a roller between the charging 3B and SS. The 3B was too close to react to it. The SS would be too far away or vacated the area to cover 2nd or 3B. Similarly, if the slapper sees the 2B moving to cover 2B, she might choose to swing to drive the ball past where the 2B just vacated.

The top notch slapper already has a plan and different senarios and can see what the defense is doing in time to decide what she wants to do. Of course, the 3B coach may have signaled something like Hit and Run the causes INFs to start covering 2B anticipating a steal.

Softball is a very fast/quick game and any hesitancy spells bad news for the defense.

But going for the fences is a different skill set. If your leadoff slapper wields some power, that’s another element for the defense to figure out. My daughter’s 12-u team had a slapper who crushed doubles and triples regularly exactly the way you saw. But she also dropped bunts and dinks. A lot of it depended on who at the bottom of the order was already on base. And what your team knows about the 3B’s arm. Regular bunt, drag bunt, dumping it over the 3B’s head into no man’s land, crushing it to the corners of the outfield, yikes! You can’t defend it.

Have to think that Duke is becoming a softball powerhouse. How do future recruiting classes look?

Power slappers are more and more common. Essentially they have the power to drive the ball, but the speed to beat out when they hit to the infield. 3rd basemen can only come in so far, with the shorter basepaths thay are already 33% closer than a baseball player, and they have to be able to react to the ball. Top slappers can go from contact with the ball in 2.7 seconds or less. If the ball bounces twice it's too late.
    Slappers also adjust based on the surface. On a hard dirt infield or artificial turf a balll driven down can bounce high enough to let the batter reach first base before the fielder can get off a throw.

Another convincing win today, 7-0 vs UConn. Only one hit given up by Peyton St. George (relieved by Claire Davidson) who is now 6-0 on the season. Duke is 15-1 and #14 in last weeks rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Another convincing win today, 7-0 vs UConn. Only one hit given up by Peyton St. George (relieved by Claire Davidson) who is now 6-0 on the season. Duke is 15-1 and #14 in last weeks rankings.
    Thanks 2blue. With all the duke sports i was following this weekend. this is s game i missed.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.
    Looks like Raine is likely out for the year. Injuries suck. Thank you Raine for all you did in putting Duke Women's Softball on the map.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/8/sof...efinitely.aspx
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke Softball is now ranked #13 by at least 2 different sites.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...y/nfca-coaches
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Looks like Raine is likely out for the year. Injuries suck. Thank you Raine for all you did in putting Duke Women's Softball on the map.

https://goduke.com/news/2021/3/8/sof...efinitely.aspx
    Sounds like she isn’t coming back to use extra eligibility next year. Hope PSG decides to come back for another year.

Duke Softball hosts a 4 game weekend vs UVA, starting today at 5. Games are on ACCNX.

The camera never looks that good when they play at Duke. Just a camera from the press box with minimal zooming. Wish it was high quality like the camera at LSU and other top programs.

Softball takes the first game 3-1 behind a 10 strikeout performance from PSG. Record now 16-1.

Duke beats UVA with a walk off homer in the bottom of the 9th.

Also won the first game of the doubleheader.

Duke was down the entire game but they kept battling back and they tied it in the bottom of the 7th with a solo home run by Kristina Foreman. Duke pitching held Virginia scoreless in the 8th and 9th and then Duke won with a walk-off solo home run in the bottom of the 9th by Caroline Jacobsen. Their record is now 18-1 (12 in a row) and looking for a 4-game sweep of the Cavaliers in the last game of the series tomorrow at 1pm. Duke is currently ranked #13 in the NCAA.com poll.