Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 270
  1. #1

    Duke Softball 2021

    Duke currently leading #5 LSU

  2. #2
    Big W. 8-4. Got lucky with a few costly errors for LSU but a W is a W.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Marietta, Georgia
    Coach Young has done a great job developing anelite program in only 4 years

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Van Nuys, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Coach Young has done a great job developing anelite program in only 4 years
    Duke has one of its best teams in this softball team. Only baseball,women's golf and men's lacrosse are performing at a high level. Basketball and football were big disappointments.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Coach Young has done a great job developing anelite program in only 4 years
    Will probably continue to get better as I think this year or next is the first where she has all the scholarships

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Tennessee
    Softball now 4-0, Kansas tomorrow at LSU.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke won its series with ND this weekend after dropping the first game (and their only loss).

    Here's something fun. Both Duke baseball and softball are now ranked. Guessing both will move up after this weekend, it seems that the polls for both sports don't have much rhyme or reason for when they actually get released.

    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...y/nfca-coaches
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke won its series with ND this weekend after dropping the first game (and their only loss).

    Here's something fun. Both Duke baseball and softball are now ranked. Guessing both will move up after this weekend, it seems that the polls for both sports don't have much rhyme or reason for when they actually get released.

    https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...y/nfca-coaches
    Hopefully not a sign of the times: Duke ranked in baseball and softball; Duke unranked in men's and women's hoops.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hopefully not a sign of the times: Duke ranked in baseball and softball; Duke unranked in men's and women's hoops.
    In fairness, it would be hard for women's hoops to play back into the rankings in this most unusual of years, while the men seem determined to try to do just that, pending tonight's game against Syracuse. I say let's go three-for-three, and make it four-for-four when we can get past this whole pandemic thing.

    Meanwhile, I'm just sad I haven't been able to tune into any games from this torrid 8-1 start so far. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to slip in a game.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Worth noting that the ladies are 10-1 after today's games. Tomorrow's (2/28) contest against a ranked South Carolina team will be televised on SECN+/ESPN+, for those that have it, with a first pitch at noon.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke leading 5-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

    I've not watched much softball, but at least one SC player takes a running swing at bat. It's the most bizarre thing. Is that common?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke wins 5-1. (On a strike out of the girl who runs at the pitch.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke leading 5-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

    I've not watched much softball, but at least one SC player takes a running swing at bat. It's the most bizarre thing. Is that common?
    Quite common in softball. Usually comes from the lefties. It’s called a slapper. Due to the short distance to first, this technique is difficult to get out. In baseball, Ichiro used a similar technique to bunt.

    The Blue Devil softball team is very good. We watch a lot of their games. My wife was on the team when they were still a club team. She might be their biggest fan.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 02-28-2021 at 02:45 PM.

  14. #14
    Any chance some of these seniors come back? They should have 2 more years of eligibility with the rules right?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Watching carolina Go To HELL!
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Quite common in softball. Usually comes from the lefties. Itís called a slapper. Due to the short distance to first, this technique is difficult to get out. In baseball, Ichiro used a similar technique to bunt.
    Ichiro did things with a bat that few other humans have been able to do. Much like Zion, he was fun to watch! I'm very glad for his time with the Yankees late in his career.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

    Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    http://www.EGLEW.com


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Quite common in softball. Usually comes from the lefties. Itís called a slapper. Due to the short distance to first, this technique is difficult to get out. In baseball, Ichiro used a similar technique to bunt.

    The Blue Devil softball team is very good. We watch a lot of their games. My wife was on the team when they were still a club team. She might be their biggest fan.
    When I played little league, we shifted to the big field at 13. When I was 11 and 12, we played on the small diamonds. I had a kid on my team who went on to be a state champion runner in HS, so though he was a natural righty, our coaches taught him to bunt/slap at the ball lefty, because he could get down the line so quickly it was unstoppable. Having him and a another kid who went on to pitch in college on the team made us league champs (I had very little to do with our success). Glory days...

    On a more related note, it is really impressive how quickly Duke softball has ramped up to become competitive. I hope to check out a game sometime soon. Kudos to all involved.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ichiro did things with a bat that few other humans have been able to do. Much like Zion, he was fun to watch! I'm very glad for his time with the Yankees late in his career.
    Loved watching him with the Mariners, but what a waste of his best years.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham
    Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.
    Dang, she's been a stalwart. I hope she's OK.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.
    How did it occur? Offense or defense?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Similar Threads

  1. Congrats to Duke softball
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-27-2020, 09:42 AM
  2. Duke Women's Softball
    By 53n206 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-10-2018, 12:01 AM
  3. Duke softball
    By Dopeshop in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-22-2017, 01:45 PM
  4. Duke softball finally has players
    By jimsumner in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2015, 12:45 PM
  5. Duke adding varsity softball, more athletics scholarships
    By Dev11 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 07:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •