Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Great comeback after being down 6-1.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue View Post
    Duke was down the entire game but they kept battling back and they tied it in the bottom of the 7th with a solo home run by Kristina Foreman. Duke pitching held Virginia scoreless in the 8th and 9th and then Duke won with a walk-off solo home run in the bottom of the 9th by Caroline Jacobsen. Their record is now 18-1 (12 in a row) and looking for a 4-game sweep of the Cavaliers in the last game of the series tomorrow at 1pm. Duke is currently ranked #13 in the NCAA.com poll.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Great comeback after being down 6-1.
    I missed most of the game and tuned in during the 6th, with Duke down 8-6. UVA made it 9-6, and it was looking grim. Great comeback, classic grit and determination.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    With the university's announcement this evening about campus wide quarantine, is it safe to assume that tomorrow's game is not going to happen?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Foreman was so excited by her tying home run that she went splat between first and second, then did a Pete Rose the rest of the way. Exciting win. This team is very exciting to watch. Don't know if tomorrow will be cancelled or not. Assuming the players are segregated it would seem to be overkill to cancel the game, but who knows.

A lot of fun following Duke softball. Winners.

I didn't watch the game (too pretty to sit in front of a TV), but I can see from the score I didn't miss much.
    Duke swept the weekend with an 8-2 win.

After the weekend, their record is now 19-1. That is just about near jaw dropping, given how young the program is.
    (I take that back. It IS jaw dropping.)

Senior Peyton St. George is having a monster season. She pitched a complete game on Friday, two innings in relief on Saturday (registering the win in the second game), then another complete game today. Her record is now 9-0, with an ERA of 1.35, and 75 strikeouts in 51.2 innings.

I thought St. George was not as sharp today as in the previous two appearances, but that was not unexpected. What was unexpected was the arrival of the Lumber Company with a 4 home run outburst. This team is fun to watch. They steal bases, sacrifice, suicide squeeze, and hit home runs. They are aggressive base runners. And they can throw some leather. With St. George and Walters they have two capable pitchers. Butler was shaky Saturday, and I don't know if there is much behind her. Tougher games ahead, but so far this ride is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I didn't watch the game (too pretty to sit in front of a TV), but I can see from the score I didn't miss much.
    Duke swept the weekend with an 8-2 win.

After the weekend, their record is now 19-1. That is just about near jaw dropping, given how young the program is.
    (I take that back. It IS jaw dropping.)
    I also think that I am too pretty to sit in front of a tv. 😇

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    Must spread sporks, blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Must spread sporks, blah blah blah.

Gotcha covered.

19-1 is right there with the top teams. Long streaks are much more common in softball than in baseball, given that softball pitchers don't need nearly as much rest. Teams can really ride their aces. But this is still a very impressive run, especially considering that this is only the fourth year of the program.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Gotcha covered.

19-1 is right there with the top teams. Long streaks are much more common in softball than in baseball, given that softball pitchers don't need nearly as much rest. Teams can really ride their aces. But this is still a very impressive run, especially considering that this is only the fourth year of the program.
    how many times per week can/will an ace typically pitch? quick look at Duke stats tells me two pitchers account for 93 of 133 innings and 16 of 19 wins, so I guess the answer is "several?"

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    how many times per week can/will an ace typically pitch? quick look at Duke stats tells me two pitchers account for 93 of 133 innings and 16 of 19 wins, so I guess the answer is "several?"
    Every other day is not uncommon. Softball schedules a LOT of doubleheaders or events where a single team plays two games on the same day, partly to avoid a team relying exclusively on just two pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Every other day is not uncommon. Softball schedules a LOT of doubleheaders or events where a single team plays two games on the same day, partly to avoid a team relying exclusively on just two pitchers.
    I’ve been told that the softball pitching motion isn’t as hard on the arm/shoulder as the baseball motion.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I’ve been told that the softball pitching motion isn’t as hard on the arm/shoulder as the baseball motion.
    that's definitely true, it's much more natural...as the legendary Eddie Feigner can attest, I bet that guy pitched 300 games/year...one of the more fun days at Duke for me was watching Eddie at the old Durham baseball park...he lost 2-1 to a local team that had a great pitcher, but of course he played with only three other guys, pitched blindfolded from second base at times, quite a show.

Another win today, 3-0 at Elon. A combined 2-hitter by starter Claire Davidson and reliever Brianna Butler. Only 5 hits for Duke, so maybe they're saving some for this weekend's home series against Syracuse.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When these girls are high school aged on the travel ball circuit it's not unusual to throw 2-3 games in a single day.

Well with a 9-0 lead in the 3rd inning of game 1 of the double header, we're well on our way to a mercy rule in game 1 which will help the pitching stay fresh.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Duke wins 11-0 run-rule game in 5 innings. 1-hitter for Peyton St. George. Second game coming up.