Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Softball 2021

Duke currently leading #5 LSU

Big W. 8-4. Got lucky with a few costly errors for LSU but a W is a W.

Coach Young has done a great job developing anelite program in only 4 years

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Duke has one of its best teams in this softball team. Only baseball,women's golf and men's lacrosse are performing at a high level. Basketball and football were big disappointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddylawman View Post
    Will probably continue to get better as I think this year or next is the first where she has all the scholarships

Softball now 4-0, Kansas tomorrow at LSU.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke won its series with ND this weekend after dropping the first game (and their only loss).

Here's something fun. Both Duke baseball and softball are now ranked. Guessing both will move up after this weekend, it seems that the polls for both sports don't have much rhyme or reason for when they actually get released.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...y/nfca-coaches
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke won its series with ND this weekend after dropping the first game (and their only loss).

Here's something fun. Both Duke baseball and softball are now ranked. Guessing both will move up after this weekend, it seems that the polls for both sports don't have much rhyme or reason for when they actually get released.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softba...y/nfca-coaches
    Hopefully not a sign of the times: Duke ranked in baseball and softball; Duke unranked in men's and women's hoops.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hopefully not a sign of the times: Duke ranked in baseball and softball; Duke unranked in men's and women's hoops.
    In fairness, it would be hard for women's hoops to play back into the rankings in this most unusual of years, while the men seem determined to try to do just that, pending tonight's game against Syracuse. I say let's go three-for-three, and make it four-for-four when we can get past this whole pandemic thing.

Meanwhile, I'm just sad I haven't been able to tune into any games from this torrid 8-1 start so far. Hopefully this weekend I'll be able to slip in a game.

Worth noting that the ladies are 10-1 after today's games. Tomorrow's (2/28) contest against a ranked South Carolina team will be televised on SECN+/ESPN+, for those that have it, with a first pitch at noon.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke leading 5-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

I've not watched much softball, but at least one SC player takes a running swing at bat. It's the most bizarre thing. Is that common?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Duke wins 5-1. (On a strike out of the girl who runs at the pitch.)

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke leading 5-0 in the bottom of the 6th.

I've not watched much softball, but at least one SC player takes a running swing at bat. It's the most bizarre thing. Is that common?
    Quite common in softball. Usually comes from the lefties. It’s called a slapper. Due to the short distance to first, this technique is difficult to get out. In baseball, Ichiro used a similar technique to bunt.

The Blue Devil softball team is very good. We watch a lot of their games. My wife was on the team when they were still a club team. She might be their biggest fan.
    Last edited by nmduke2001; 02-28-2021 at 02:45 PM.

Any chance some of these seniors come back? They should have 2 more years of eligibility with the rules right?

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Quite common in softball. Usually comes from the lefties. It’s called a slapper. Due to the short distance to first, this technique is difficult to get out. In baseball, Ichiro used a similar technique to bunt.
    Ichiro did things with a bat that few other humans have been able to do. Much like Zion, he was fun to watch! I'm very glad for his time with the Yankees late in his career.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post

The Blue Devil softball team is very good. We watch a lot of their games. My wife was on the team when they were still a club team. She might be their biggest fan.
    When I played little league, we shifted to the big field at 13. When I was 11 and 12, we played on the small diamonds. I had a kid on my team who went on to be a state champion runner in HS, so though he was a natural righty, our coaches taught him to bunt/slap at the ball lefty, because he could get down the line so quickly it was unstoppable. Having him and a another kid who went on to pitch in college on the team made us league champs (I had very little to do with our success). Glory days...

On a more related note, it is really impressive how quickly Duke softball has ramped up to become competitive. I hope to check out a game sometime soon. Kudos to all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Ichiro did things with a bat that few other humans have been able to do. Much like Zion, he was fun to watch! I'm very glad for his time with the Yankees late in his career.
    Loved watching him with the Mariners, but what a waste of his best years.

Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    Raine Wilson, captain, third baseman, and 5th year player (even though this is program's third year) just had to be helped off the field in Central game with some kind of knee injury. Game is on ACCN. Raine spoke at a pre-bball game event at the Wa Duke a couple of years ago. Not surprisingly she was personable and articulate.
    Dang, she's been a stalwart. I hope she's OK.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    How did it occur? Offense or defense?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide