Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep. Not to mention gum band, jumbo, red up, nebby, and spicket, among other linguistic atrocities.

(For the uninitiated, that's rubber band, baloney, straighten up, nosy, and spigot, respectively, in Pittsbughese.)
    So, yeah, I don’t think I’m going to trust them for the pronunciation of my favorite mountains!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    So, yeah, I don’t think I’m going to trust them for the pronunciation of my favorite mountains!

-jk
    Also their mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Also their mountains.
    Well yeah. But yinz. So...

Bone Appateet! (unless it's dog food).

I got into an argument with my teacher in 1965 (I was eight, she was older). She insisted that the way to pronounce that Chinese guy's name was "Mayo teese-tung."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Bone Appateet! (unless it's dog food).
    This reminds me of seeing someone on Facebook saying "Wala!" instead of "Voila!" Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    This reminds me of seeing someone on Facebook saying "Wala!" instead of "Voila!" Unbelievable.
    I hear this all the time on TV, and it really bothers me! (There are a lot of grammar and pronunciation errors that bother me, and I am an engineer...We aren’t supposed to know!)

Many years ago, I was told by my boss that the word “forte” was actually pronounced “fort” and not “Fortay”. That made sense, given its French derivation, and my hard-bound Webster’s dictionary agreed. But I could never pronounce it that way in public, because I knew that very few would understand what I was saying (or, if they did, they would think I was an idiot). Now, when I search online, it seems that both pronunciations are considered to be acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    Many years ago, I was told by my boss that the word “forte” was actually pronounced “fort” and not “Fortay”. That made sense, given its French derivation, and my hard-bound Webster’s dictionary agreed. But I could never pronounce it that way in public, because I knew that very few would understand what I was saying (or, if they did, they would think I was an idiot). Now, when I search online, it seems that both pronunciations are considered to be acceptable.
    I blame Joseph the Tar Heel (circa Y2K).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

When I was eight and playing Scrabble with my older brother I argued that fart was not a word. For some reason in my head the word was fort, whether it be gaseous or a place of safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    When I was eight and playing Scrabble with my older brother I argued that fart was not a word. For some reason in my head the word was fort, whether it be gaseous or a place of safety.
    Can't it be both? Do people not think enough about Dutch ovens?

What language are you speaking? The pronunciation I hear most often is the one in music, which is almost universally derived from the Italian tradition, so it is pronounced "Fort-ay". However, I have heard French speakers pronounce it with only one syllable and no second vowel sound, like "for(t)", and I've heard an Austrian conductor say the vowel, but much softer, like "Fort-uh".

As long as everyone knows it means to play loud but not super loud, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    What language are you speaking? The pronunciation I hear most often is the one in music, which is almost universally derived from the Italian tradition, so it is pronounced "Fort-ay". However, I have heard French speakers pronounce it with only one syllable and no second vowel sound, like "for(t)", and I've heard an Austrian conductor say the vowel, but much softer, like "Fort-uh".

As long as everyone knows it means to play loud but not super loud, it's all good.
    M-W suggests ˈfȯr-​ˌtā. I'll go with them.

-jk

When speaking about something that is a strength for somebody, i.e., "playing the piano is Joseph's forte," it is, indeed, supposed to be pronounced fort. Not very many people know this, and therefore not very many people say it right. Over time, the dictionaries just add the most common pronunciation and say that either is acceptable.

Others that almost nobody says the way they were originally supposed to be said include forbade (pronounced "for-BAD," not "for-BADE"), grimace (originally, believe it or not, "Grih-MACE," now virtually always "GRIM-mis"), and prestigious (properly pronounced "pres-STIG-us," not "pres-TEE-jus"). There is another one that I can't think of right now that is a common phrase, and whenever I say it properly, everybody looks at me like I'm from another planet. I am going crazy trying to remember what it is; can't take it anymore, so I'll omit it for now. As soon as I log off, it will likely come to me.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

When speaking about something that is a strength for somebody, i.e., "playing the piano is Joseph's forte," it is, indeed, supposed to be pronounced fort. Not very many people know this, and therefore not very many people say it right. Over time, the dictionaries just add the most common pronunciation and say that either is acceptable.

Others that almost nobody says the way they were originally supposed to be said include forbade (pronounced "for-BAD," not "for-BADE"), grimace (originally, believe it or not, "Grih-MACE," now virtually always "GRIM-mis"), and prestigious (properly pronounced "pres-STIG-us," not "pres-TEE-jus"). There is another one that I can't think of right now that is a common phrase, and whenever I say it properly, everybody looks at me like I'm from another planet. I am going crazy trying to remember what it is; can't take it anymore, so I'll omit it for now. As soon as I log off, it will likely come to me.
    The other word that comes to my mind is “harass”. Most pronounce it “hah-RASS”, but I have been told it should be “HAIR-ess”. But then it doesn’t work for the Duke cheer that was so popular in my day.

As far as forte, I think you are absolutely correct about the correct pronunciation and how the other has become accepted. I believe that “forte”, meaning someone’s strong point, is derived from French. There is an Italian/Latin influence (maybe from “forte” meaning loud) that would be pronounced “for-TAY”.

McDonald's can be partially blamed for the pronunciation of Grimace. In doing a google search to confirm my memory about how to pronounce his name, I came across this gem from 2002. Note that I am not blaming the other actor in this commercial for the pronunciation - McDonald's was pronouncing it this way for many years before 2002.

The other word that comes to my mind is “harass”. Most pronounce it “hah-RASS”, but I have been told it should be “HAIR-ess”. But then it doesn’t work for the Duke cheer that was so popular in my day.

As far as forte, I think you are absolutely correct about the correct pronunciation and how the other has become accepted. I believe that “forte”, meaning someone’s strong point, is derived from French. There is an Italian/Latin influence (maybe from “forte” meaning loud) that would be pronounced “for-TAY”.
    The Italian version for loud places the emphasis on the first syllable, FORT-ay. That's the one I hear by far the most often, but I generally hear it pronounced that way when speaking of a personal strength, as well, and I'm guessing it's almost entirely due to music. Lots and lots of people have played an instrument or sung in a group at some point in their lives, and those who haven't probably interact pretty regularly with someone who does.

"Harass" seems to be one of those British/American differentiators. Soccer announcers (95% of whom are British on U.S. broadcasts) talk about "HAIR-essing" an opponent.

They (British soccer announcers) also use "just about" in a different way than I did while growing up. They universally use "just about" to mean "barely accomplished a desired outcome". They often say a goalkeeper "just about made the save", which means he barely got his fingertips or toes to the ball but actually did prevent a goal. I learned it as meaning "almost but didn't quite accomplish a desired outcome". So if I were to say that a goalkeeper "just about made the save", it would mean he nearly did, but after it touched his fingertips the ball actually did go into the net. The way I use it, the phrase can always be followed by "but not quite" for repetitive emphasis. If you do that when the British soccer announcers say it, it becomes an flat contradiction. Weird, and even after several years of following the Premier League, I still find that usage jarring.

When speaking about something that is a strength for somebody, i.e., "playing the piano is Joseph's forte," it is, indeed, supposed to be pronounced fort.
    Hasn't Shane Battier shared enough with Joseph Forte? First the 2001 ACC Player of the Year, and now piano?

shanebattier.jpg

I hate the individual understanding of what a team is in the US vs collective designation for team in Europe, especially soccer. Duke is good while Arsenal ARE good drives me nuts. And I'm ok if Europeans do this, but not Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    They’re the ones who say yinz, right?

-jk
    This quiz from the NY Times produces a personalized regional dialect map by asking you 25 questions about the words you use and how you pronounce them.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html

My map is pretty accurate in pinpointing where I grew up (outside Pittsburgh). My map is surprisingly accurate if you consider the fact that I have never in my life used the word "yinz".

Langugae map3.jpg

Apparently, my use of term "tree lawn" is highly correlated with the Cleveland area. I assumed that this was a widely used term, but I must have picked it up when I lived there.

Also, it looks like I have largely avoided adopting New England lingo/pronunciations despite living here for the last 10 years. I consider this a big win!