Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    I wouldn't be surprised if they reuse the hops 5 or 6 times when brewing Genny Light. Or maybe it's like one of those in and out martini's where you wave the vermouth bottle over the glass - but don't take on the burden of actually dispensing the aperitif.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Sorry, should have used an emoticon. I grew up on Genny screamers and Matt's Beer Balls.

If you knew how snooty I am, it would have been clearer.
    Ah. Well I too am quite fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Now I want a Genny Light and some Dinosaur BBQ.
    I'll tell you what is a good beer flying under the radar: Genny Bock Beer (seasonal)...you even get dancing goats on the label (at least you used to)...

Another regional beer from those environs is one of the very worst ever: Utica CLub. Ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I'll tell you what is a good beer flying under the radar: Genny Bock Beer (seasonal)...you even get dancing goats on the label (at least you used to)...

Another regional beer from those environs is one of the very worst ever: Utica CLub. Ouch.
    Take it to that other thread, please, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am bad for thread discipline.

Are we suggesting that bad beer doesn't affect one's dialect and word choices? I find I'm much more eloquent (and descriptive) when inebriated.

Okay..on topic... it irks me that the word Polish changes pronunciation when you take away its capitalization.

Perseverance and severance do not rhyme. Try to wrap your mind around that. Then remember that bologna and pony do. Aren't we just making all this crap up based on "convention" anyway?

Hey, it can all be fixed. Haven't we proven that if we misuse irregardless long enough it will wind up in the dictionary?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    Hey, it can all be fixed. Haven't we proven that if we misuse irregardless long enough it will wind up in the dictionary?
    Yeah. Solid point.

The ironic thing is I spent the first twenty-something years of my life sounding like Cletus the slack-jawed Yokel from The Simpsons. I managed to sand off most of the rough edges but definitely still possess the twang. I am basically a less successful Elizabeth Holmes vocally.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Perseverance and severance do not rhyme. Try to wrap your mind around that. Then remember that bologna and pony do. Aren't we just making all this crap up based on "convention" anyway?
    Thou, tough, though, through, thought. Rite, right, write, wright. i before e gets weird.

English is the vengeance of an island population sore at being invaded.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

English is the vengeance of an island population sore at being invaded.

-jk
    Great line. Would send Sporkz, but alas the algorithm hates me.

Remembered another one while watching the game Saturday.

That announcer always says blu-DEV-ils, instead of BLUE devils. Why does that irritate me so?

Remembered another one while watching the game Saturday.

That announcer always says blu-DEV-ils, instead of BLUE devils. Why does that irritate me so?
    For the same reason that it bothered me to hear my wife say “grilled CHEESE sandwich,” when the correct way to say it is “grilled cheese SANDWICH.”
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Conversating.

As in “Boeheim is conversating with the player”. The announcer actually said this in the game last night. Although I suppose he did pronounce it correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    For the same reason that it bothered me to hear my wife say “grilled CHEESE sandwich,” when the correct way to say it is “grilled cheese SANDWICH.”
    As opposed to grilled MOUSE sandwich, right? The French have the right idea (for once). They do not stress syllables.

And what has happened to our T's?!?!?

Cam New'un
    What a cute ki'un
    Say it how it is wri'un.

I think some people are doing it on purpose now, b/c what? They think it's cool to sound stupid?

And what has happened to our T's?!?!?

Cam New'un
    What a cute ki'un
    Say it how it is wri'un.

I think some people are doing it on purpose now, b/c what? They think it's cool to sound stupid?
    Wouldn't it be cool if a linguistic (pre- or de-) expert hung out around here?

-jk

-jk
    All hail the Glottal Stop! Yes, we do have a linguist among us (not me)...but I think they may sleep in, not sure...

-jk
    Many of them do. Just ask.