Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Going back to our "t" pronunciation discussion, I was helping my first grader with remote school this morning (he is 50/50 hybrid) and he was watching a video going over vocabulary words. One of the words was "often" and the teacher very specifically pronounced it both ways - one where you basically leave out the t, the other where you very consciously say the t.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Going back to our "t" pronunciation discussion, I was helping my first grader with remote school this morning (he is 50/50 hybrid) and he was watching a video going over vocabulary words. One of the words was "often" and the teacher very specifically pronounced it both ways - one where you basically leave out the t, the other where you very consciously say the t.
    As you may recall from an earlier post in this thread, I strongly favor "OFF-un." Akin to how we pronounce "listen," "soften," etc.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    As you may recall from an earlier post in this thread, I strongly favor "OFF-un." Akin to how we pronounce "listen," "soften," etc.
    I completely agree with you. Actively pronouncing the t in these words does not sound natural.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I am going to start pronouncing the T's in "listen" and "soften" just to see if anyone notices or says anything. Damn you, Clemmonsdevil!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I am going to start pronouncing the T's in "listen" and "soften" just to see if anyone notices or says anything. Damn you, Clemmonsdevil!
    Genius! Tried to spork. I always admired over enunciators. Doris Day was a top tier over enunciator. Listen to how she handles "Ls" in the track below. Fantastic. Val Kilmer and Ryan Phillippe are fun too.

https://youtu.be/koVbpIPcefs

You have more than likely talked or interacted
    With one of my relatives .well depending on the length of time you have lived there.

My wife was in awe of all the mailboxes with our last name .

I had to explain what million dollar hole was to her lol.

We use to own the old dilapidated gas station off of 52. It was the only one
    For quite sometime.

I accept the Brits' pronunciation JAG-yoo-ar, because it is a British car. They can pronounce as they please.

But when Americans say JAGWIRE, well that just grates my nerves.

JAG-WAR, people! Like it's spelled.

I accept the Brits' pronunciation JAG-yoo-ar, because it is a British car. They can pronounce as they please.

But when Americans say JAGWIRE, well that just grates my nerves.

JAG-WAR, people! Like it's spelled.
    agreed, no excuse for (widely used) jagwire.

According to WTVD, Virginia beat Syracuse last night on a "buzzard beater". I suggested they call PETA.

Going back to my "wa-la" perturbance, I just saw someone on the other board say, "Se la vie." Folks, if you can't spell French, don't type it.

Going back to my "wa-la" perturbance, I just saw someone on the other board say, "Se la vie." Folks, if you can't spell French, don't type it.
    Unless you are making a move on Mrs Howell...

Geez!! Everyone knows it's "Say la Vee."

and the response is "la Vee."

Note: I used to work for a French company in the South Carolina. My American colleagues and I would take pleasure in translating idioms into French and using them to annoy our French brethren.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Geez!! Everyone knows it's "Say la Vee."

and the response is "la Vee."

Note: I used to work for a French company in the South Carolina. My American colleagues and I would take pleasure in translating idioms into French and using them to annoy our French brethren.
    I spent a semester in France. We annoyed the French students as much as possible - they were pretty rude to us. But we got the most pleasure irritating this snotty guy from Canada who thought his French was above reproach until the professor started correcting him, telling him he was speaking Canadian French, not French French.

When did "on accident" enter the vernacular? I'm hearing it, mostly from kids, and it just sounds wrong to my older ears.

-jk

"peripheal"

Here are my suggestions for pronunciation of a common and less common word:

"Err", as in "to err is human..." It should be pronounced "urr," not "air."

"Dour," as in "the dour Scot," should be pronounced as rhyming with "moor," rather than rhyming with "sour."

Webster's Unabridged agrees with me, based on first listed pronunciation, although other versions are listed.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Here are my suggestions for pronunciation of a common and less common word:

"Err", as in "to err is human..." It should be pronounced "urr," not "air."

"Dour," as in "the dour Scot," should be pronounced as rhyming with "moor," rather than rhyming with "sour."

Webster's Unabridged agrees with me, based on first listed pronunciation, although other versions are listed.
    Aaaaah! These are both in the rotation and I have never once pronounced either of them this way. And I am perfectly willing to believe I am incorrect here.

According to WTVD, Virginia beat Syracuse last night on a "buzzard beater". I suggested they call PETA.
    One of our assistant principals told us that if we needed the office to hit the buzzard. I refuse to strike little buzzy.

There’s a right way and a wrong way to pronounce “machination”. I prefer the wrong way, “mash—“ as opposed to “mock”. A word of particular utility. IMO.

Coupling “there’s a right way and a wrong way” to draw distinction. No there’s not thers’s just a right way. Wrong is wrong and you elevate “the wrong way” To a level of credibility it doesn’t deserve. Fear the sanctimony of the grammar police (because they will contradict themselves frequently.)

Substituting “entitled” for “titled”. Both are correct but I put the former” in the category of overrefinement. A book is titled. A book is entitled? To what may I ask?

Using pedantic when didactic is correct.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 04-09-2021 at 08:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Fear the sanctimony of the grammar police (because they will contradict themselves frequently)
    Supposably, you are talking about I. Me resemble that remark.