Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Warshington DC.
    Is that down 95 from Balmer Murrilend?

Prompted by catching up with the DBR podcast, I had to look up the pronunciation of Austin Peay, which their own website says is, indeed, correctly pronounced "Austin Pea". It sits very wrong on my ears, since I've been familiar with "Peay Vineyards" for a long time, which is rather unfortunately pronounced "Pay Vineyards" (and Peay Vineyard prices, while certainly not at the maximum for California Pinot noir, are...let's just say, "above average").

The "pea" pronunciation is generally much more innuendo-friendly, of course, so while it is jarring to my ears, at least I know the innuendo posts are at least relying on correctness (something that always bothered me about most of the Patrick Tapé humor).

Yes, I am a pedant, not a didact.

Pronunciations can be weird around here, a lot of people of French Canadian descent who choose to pronounce their names in the most grotesque, non French ways imaginable, but hey, it's their call.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Pronunciations can be weird around here, a lot of people of French Canadian descent who choose to pronounce their names in the most grotesque, non French ways imaginable, but hey, it's their call.
    Like Versailles (said with the S at the end: “vur-sales”) road in Lexington KY?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Like Versailles (said with the S at the end: “vur-sales”) road in Lexington KY?
    yup, we have a Vergennes here that gets mangled, along with Calais (pronounced "callus")