Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Staunton, VA is STAN-ten

source: old Virginia roots - this time paternal grandmother's line

but why they pronounce McGaheysville ma-GACK-ees-ville I will NEVER grasp. And Montevideo, VA is pronounced mont-video, as in played on a VCR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    You hear a lot of added "r's" where I live outside of NYC. The one that irks me the most is "idear".
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but adding an "r" sound between one word that ends with a vowel and a subsequent word that starts with a vowel is actually proper English and has a long history. It came to us from Britain.

So, for example, if someone is saying "I have no idea about that" it is not improper to insert the "r" sound in between "idea" and "about." It is not necessarily considered "standard American English," but it is not improper.

What IS wrong is using the "r" sound when there isn't another word that follows. For example, "I have no idear," is incorrect. The "r" was only ever supposed to be used in a sentence in which a word ending with a vowel was followed immediately by another word beginning with a vowel.

I agree with you that, in general, even when used properly, it falls on most American ears as grating, wrong, and annoying. But the truth is that it is only two of those three things.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but adding an "r" sound between one word that ends with a vowel and a subsequent word that starts with a vowel is actually proper English and has a long history. It came to us from Britain.

So, for example, if someone is saying "I have no idea about that" it is not improper to insert the "r" sound in between "idea" and "about." It is not necessarily considered "standard American English," but it is not improper.
    It seems to be a Boston thing, particularly. However, Boston does other things to people, too, apparently. I had to hide my smirking back in high school, when our Bostonian world history teacher got to the period between the World Wars and began discussing the rise of the "Narzis". That unit was a fun couple of weeks for some of us, and it had nothing to do with WWII...

I had a secretary from Boston who, one day at lunch, carried on about her experience at the Central Ottery in Boston, and I was convinced they had some large otter facility there...until she told me she was talking about the Central Artery, basically I-93 thru Boston...

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

What IS wrong is using the "r" sound when there isn't another word that follows. For example, "I have no idear," is incorrect. The "r" was only ever supposed to be used in a sentence in which a word ending with a vowel was followed immediately by another word beginning with a vowel.

I agree with you that, in general, even when used properly, it falls on most American ears as grating, wrong, and annoying. But the truth is that it is only two of those three things.
    Nah, it's "warter" under the bridge!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I toured the state prison for a class in college and the professor was told to take the keys to the "far tar". Perplexed, he place the keys on top of the back tire (he mistook the guard as saying "far tire"). The guard goes nuts and starts yelling "FAR TAR! FAR TAR!". I had to translate that he was yelling "Fire tower."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I can substantiate this, based on a similar phenomenon in Grayson County, VA.
    I have a sudden urge for a trip there!

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    I have a sudden urge for a trip there!

-jk
    Grayson County is a GORGEOUS part of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I toured the state prison for a class in college and the professor was told to take the keys to the "far tar". Perplexed, he place the keys on top of the back tire (he mistook the guard as saying "far tire"). The guard goes nuts and starts yelling "FAR TAR! FAR TAR!". I had to translate that he was yelling "Fire tower."
    When the NASCAR is on TV, there's always some guy shouting about a "rayick." What's a rayick? Do you guys know?

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    When the NASCAR is on TV, there's always some guy shouting about a "rayick." What's a rayick? Do you guys know?
    Cheering for someone named Rick?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Cheering for someone named Rick?
    it seems to be more about when one core hits another core, e.g. "the 51 core just bumped the 23 core and now there's a rayick."

Yowntoo? Transition: Do you want to?

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Ours mothers must be from the same state or something.
    Speaking of somewhat unique Utah pronunciations, in high school we had a running joke that they should replace the existing state-border highway signs coming into the state with "Yep, Urine Utah."
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

It just occurred to me that two words that irk or perturb me are irk and perturb.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    it seems to be more about when one core hits another core, e.g. "the 51 core just bumped the 23 core and now there's a rayick."
    Man! I am from NC and I missed that one!

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Yowntoo? Transition: Do you want to?
    More like Yee-Ownt-to. At least in the Piedmont.

people who live in Pennsylvania's largest city often refer to it as "Fluffia."

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    More like Yee-Ownt-to. At least in the Piedmont.
    Great. So mine was a phonetic description that irks or perturbs you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gay-lax.

Source: lots of family in Carroll County, Virginia.
    I have oodles of family in mt airy and the surrounding hollars. But they have quite the accent.
    Strange thing is i have lived in or around charleston sc my entire life.
    I feel more at home up there for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I have oodles of family in mt airy and the surrounding hollars. But they have quite the accent.
    Strange thing is i have lived in or around charleston sc my entire life.
    I feel more at home up there for some reason.
    You also have one Clemmonsdevil from in and around Mount Airy.