Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    This quiz from the NY Times produces a personalized regional dialect map by asking you 25 questions about the words you use and how you pronounce them.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html

My map is pretty accurate in pinpointing where I grew up (outside Pittsburgh). My map is surprisingly accurate if you consider the fact that I have never in my life used the word "yinz".

Attachment 12596

Apparently, my use of term "tree lawn" is highly correlated with the Cleveland area. I assumed that this was a widely used term, but I must have picked it up when I lived there.

Also, it looks like I have largely avoided adopting New England lingo/pronunciations despite living here for the last 10 years. I consider this a big win!
    It thinks I am from southern California. Close enough, I guess. I am from Utah. The words we use are very similar.

This quiz from the NY Times produces a personalized regional dialect map by asking you 25 questions about the words you use and how you pronounce them.

My map is pretty accurate in pinpointing where I grew up (outside Pittsburgh). My map is surprisingly accurate if you consider the fact that I have never in my life used the word "yinz".

Attachment 12596

Apparently, my use of term "tree lawn" is highly correlated with the Cleveland area. I assumed that this was a widely used term, but I must have picked it up when I lived there.

Also, it looks like I have largely avoided adopting New England lingo/pronunciations despite living here for the last 10 years. I consider this a big win!
    That was fun. Thanks. It nailed my northern NJ roots (Newark/Paterson). After spending my early adulthood in the south I frequently use y'all so I thought that would trick it, but I guess the rest of my answers strongly tended towards where I grew up. I only use y'all when referring to multiple other people. I know many use y'all when referring to a singular person. When people do that to me, I look around to try to figure out who else they are talking to.

Attachment 12596

My three “most likely” locations were Yonkers, NY; Philly; and Jackson, Mississippi.

Not sure how to square those.

Chattanooga, Columbus (GA) and Charlotte. From NW NC.

Attachment 12596

Pegged me perfectly. NYC metro area. (New York; Yonkers; Newark/Paterson, NJ) I don't own up to the last one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...008020020b0100

Attachment 12596

I grew up in small-town western PA (also never said yinz because my mother forbade it), went to college in central PA, and have lived in Durham the past 44 years. The quiz says: Pliladelphia, Baltimore, and Durham--pretty cool, although I've only driven through Baltimore and spent a week in Philly one day.

Attachment 12596

I'm impressed. I lived in North Carolina from the 6th grade through college, lived in Cincinnati for the last 25 years, and travelled a LOT for work. It pegged me for Greensboro, Lexington, and Washington, DC. Seems reasonable.

I got Winston-Salem, Augusta, GA, and Columbus, GA. All in the south. I've lived in Durham all my life, except for my stint at Wake Forest, so I guess it had a big influence. I would have thought more eastern NC, from my maternal grandmother's influence.

Speaking of locations, Newark (NJ) and Newark (DE) are only separated by about 125 miles, yet the former is pronounced NEW-erk and the latter is pronounced new-ARK. Yeesh!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Haven't scoured this thoroughly, but app-uh-latch-an versus app-uh-LAY-chan.

Kills me.
    A couple weeks after I moved my family from LA to Durham my 9yo son came home crying after school. He and his 3rd grade teacher had gotten into it over this very issue. He had said Appa-lay-chen and didn't appreciate being publicly corrected about it by his clearly mistaken (in his mind) teacher. This was the final straw for him (he'd not liked the teacher from day one) and he begged us to move him to this cool "Friends School" he'd heard about. We didn't give in right away but after another month of him being depressed about school we realized he wasn't a good fit for Hope Valley Elementary and made the switch. I'm sure the teacher was very relieved as well.

Not pronunciation but spelling. When we moved to Kansas the first time, my sister (probably 4th grade) had to write down where she was born. She correctly listed Pittsburgh. The teacher marked it as wrong - she insisted it was Pittsburg. The latter is correct if you are from the town in KS but she was born in PA.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Not pronunciation but spelling. When we moved to Kansas the first time, my sister (probably 4th grade) had to write down where she was born. She correctly listed Pittsburgh. The teacher marked it as wrong - she insisted it was Pittsburg. The latter is correct if you are from the town in KS but she was born in PA.
    Also correct in Ohio. We have a Pittsburg here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Speaking of locations, Newark (NJ) and Newark (DE) are only separated by about 125 miles, yet the former is pronounced NEW-erk and the latter is pronounced new-ARK. Yeesh!
    Beaufort, NC versus Beaufort, SC. If you know, you know.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Beaufort, NC versus Beaufort, SC. If you know, you know.
    Nailed it with Rochester NY. Potato Bug, apparently, is the differentiator.

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Nailed it with Rochester NY. Potato Bug, apparently, is the differentiator.
    Now I want a Genny Light and some Dinosaur BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I got Winston-Salem, Augusta, GA, and Columbus, GA. All in the south. I've lived in Durham all my life, except for my stint at Wake Forest, so I guess it had a big influence. I would have thought more eastern NC, from my maternal grandmother's influence.
    I got Winston-Salem, Augusta Ga, Richmond (Va.?). Lived in Charleston SC, Durham, Washington DC area, LA, and now Colorado.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

What could that possibly mean... "want a Genny Light"?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    Now I want a Genny Light and some Dinosaur BBQ.
    Long story but we have a family tradition of going to the NYC Dinosaur BBQ (in Harlem, near Columbia) for my birthday, which is coming up. Our last pre-covid meal last March was there. I like the food but would be happy to mix it up, but my kids insist that that is where we go for my birthday. Since we aren't comfortable dining indoors yet and we are beyond their delivery range, I think I will get stuck going up there to get takeout. I have also been to the original Syracuse location, which is fun.

Interesting piece of trivia is that the original owner of the first few Dinosaur BBQs sold it to George Soros - I think Soros' sons were running it and he added several locations. The original owner has since bought it back.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTeuf View Post
    What could that possibly mean... "want a Genny Light"?
    A sort of cruddy but charming beer from this brewery.
    https://www.geneseebeer.com/

Sorry, should have used an emoticon. I grew up on Genny screamers and Matt's Beer Balls.

If you knew how snooty I am, it would have been clearer.