Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I've actually read that the pronunciation of latkes is a regional thing. In Hebrew, they use a different word all together. So, certain English dialects have Americanized the Yiddish in different ways, just like we don't say meh-hee-ko and instead say Mex-ih-ko. I still think latkahs is more correct based on how one would say it in Yiddish, but it's tricky with words of non English origin. See article below.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-12-17-0612170001-story.html
    Thanks! She is from Chicago so that answers the question. I am from metro-NYC and live here now.

My dad grew with the Jewish tradition of pronouncing a lot of Hebrew words differently, especially using an s in place of a t in many places. It threw me a lot when I was a kid and learning prayers but I got used to it.

How about jewelry?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    How about jewelry?
    Jooooolree?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    How about jewelry?
    Russian jewelry? Roseanne Roseannadanna wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I have one that bothers me and I am trapped in this cycle. I love beef bulgogi and I feel like I'm being messed with (which I support actually, I deserve it). I will pronounce it bul-go-jee and the person will reply "You mean bul-go-gee?" So the next time I say bul-go-gee and they say: "You mean bul-go-jee?". Without fail. I have the Stockholm (or maybe Seoul?) Syndrome over it.
    Have you been trying to order the lamb/mutton at Gates BBQ? BiL Alan would order mutton and the person taking the order would ask for clarification. He would repeat mutton and they still didn't understand. After the 3rd time, he would say lamb. The order taker would then shout the order back to the kitchen - and, yes, the shouted order was mutton.

As to bulgogi - I have always heard/used bul-go-gee. I was, however, the person accused of being the only American my Korean friends heard speak Korean with a Japanese accent. (I quit Korean and took Spanish.)

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Have you been trying to order the lamb/mutton at Gates BBQ? BiL Alan would order mutton and the person taking the order would ask for clarification. He would repeat mutton and they still didn't understand. After the 3rd time, he would say lamb. The order taker would then shout the order back to the kitchen - and, yes, the shouted order was mutton.

As to bulgogi - I have always heard/used bul-go-gee. I was, however, the person accused of being the only American my Korean friends heard speak Korean with a Japanese accent. (I quit Korean and took Spanish.)
    I mean, I definitely deserve to be judged, and harshly. So I support the oppression.

What about those who chronically mispronounce things? As in the word would require a different spelling to be pronounced that way?

Examples: Sedwick Rd is pronounced Sedgewick Rd. And the people are so sure that it is correct that they even start spelling it Sedgewick.

Chipotle is pronounced CHI-POL-TAY.

I had a co-worker who mispronounced things (over and over) so badly that half the time we had no idea what she was talking about. McKesson is McKeachen. Garrett Rd is Garnet Rd.

As for grammar . . . I was raised by two grammar snobs. The wrong use of "I" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just take the other person out of the equation. Bryan Adams took poetic license, but it still irks me: If they ever found out about you and I. Just take out "you". If they ever find out about I?!? No. "If they ever found out about me" becomes "If they ever found out about you and me." Not that hard to figure out.

me and Tony Soprano pronounce gobbagool the same way, FWIW. Same with proshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    The wrong use of "I" is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Just take the other person out of the equation. Bryan Adams took poetic license, but it still irks me: If they ever found out about you and I. Just take out "you". If they ever find out about I?!? No. "If they ever found out about me" becomes "If they ever found out about you and me." Not that hard to figure out.
    I agree! We were taught this rule (to take the second person out of the phrase) in elementary school. But so many people don’t get it, and the numbers seem to be growing. My Duke roommate who is a college professor makes this mistake routinely in both spoken and written comments. I have not had the guts to point out the mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I agree! We were taught this rule (to take the second person out of the phrase) in elementary school. But so many people don’t get it, and the numbers seem to be growing. My Duke roommate who is a college professor makes this mistake routinely in both spoken and written comments. I have not had the guts to point out the mistake.
    I make the mistake and realize it.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I make the mistake and realize it.
    You're killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    You're killing me!
    Because I am a moron? Happy to help!

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

The sound of it is something quite atrocious.
    This post deserves to take a bow. Must spread . . . .

So many of these are regional or country specific. As I get older and grumpier I am more inclined to forgive pronunciation differences. Grammatical stuff I find harder to let go.

Two bother me:
    1) I don’t know why we don’t pronounce the names of other countries the way people who live there do: Mehico, Espania, etc

2) why is the word amateur pronounced amater in the world of golf?

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Two bother me:
    1) I don’t know why we don’t pronounce the names of other countries the way people who live there do: Mehico, Espania, etc

2) why is the word amateur pronounced amater in the world of golf?
    If my high school Spanish teachers were correct decades ago, the latin world knows us as Los Estados Unidos. (I was great at vocabulary, terrible at conjugating verbs on the fly)

Salve. No matter how I say it, my wife says I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Salve. No matter how I say it, my wife says I'm wrong.
    LOL. Should be sav. I think. Luckily not a word that comes up in casual conversation very often.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    LOL. Should be sav. I think. Luckily not a word that comes up in casual conversation very often.
    It doesn't? What kind of doctor are you? Or do you typically use a poultice?

Here in Georgia we have a real problem with people calling pecans (puh-kaan) pee-cans. Pee-can pie sounds disgusting.