Using a rangefinder in the PGA

re:Using a rangefinder in the PGA

So two thoughts. First, the criticism that it will add time to the round. I actually think it might be quicker and then why do you need a caddie. Second, is that with the exact correct yards, the pros will be dialing the flag in. I vote against a rangefinder for pros, although I use one.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    re:Using a rangefinder in the PGA

So two thoughts. First, the criticism that it will add time to the round. I actually think it might be quicker and then why do you need a caddie. Second, is that with the exact correct yards, the pros will be dialing the flag in. I vote against a rangefinder for pros, although I use one.
    (1) Caddies do more than give yardages.

(2) I’m cool with pros using rangefinders. See no compelling reason why not.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Second, is that with the exact correct yards, the pros will be dialing the flag in. I vote against a rangefinder for pros, although I use one.
    You still have to deal with elevation changes, wind, the lie of the ball and the position on the green. Pro players are good, but they aren't going to be able to say, that's 187 yards to the pin and hit the ball exactly 187 yards. They aren't THAT good. It will provide minimal benefit, imo. Let them use it.

I don't even understand what the argument in favor of this is.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    You still have to deal with elevation changes, wind, the lie of the ball and the position on the green. Pro players are good, but they aren't going to be able to say, that's 187 yards to the pin and hit the ball exactly 187 yards. They aren't THAT good. It will provide minimal benefit, imo. Let them use it.
    Reminds me of that old caddie joke - a player says to his caddie,”how come the other caddie gives his player exact yardages - 157, 182, etc but you always give me round numbers - 160, 180?” Caddie replies “because you’re not that good”.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    (1) Caddies do more than give yardages.

(2) I’m cool with pros using rangefinders. See no compelling reason why not.
    Agree on both counts. Being able to quickly know a yardage can just move things along. Bottom line is you still have to hit the shot and most of the time the player and caddie know the distance anyway (see below).

Back in the day I was playing with a friend who had gotten his first golf GPS. He was using it on every shot and taking so long that it actually was slowing us down (range finders are quicker). After a while, I started predicting the yardages as he was checking his GPS. I was so close (and being a smart a** about it) that he was almost as annoyed as I was (he was really slow that day). If I can get that close, pros with caddies can as well so using a range finder may remove doubt and keep them from marching off stuff to verify and move the round along.

Note, I use a rangefinder and it helps and makes my round go by quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I see it as two-fold:

(1) Getting to the player's desired level-of-precision more quickly.

(2) It's already permitted at other levels of competitive golf, so why not at the highest levels. (Followed by the slippery slope of, "Okay, where is the cut-off, and does that line of demarcation make any sense?")
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I can promise a rangefinder would have little to no effect on my golf game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Or 99% of the rest of us.

You and me both. That might help me figure out which part of the forrest my ball is in. Mean while my kid plays twice.
    Hits it anywhere he wants .while having absolutely no care in the world while laughing at me.

I need an inthewoodsfinder and an inthepondfinder.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I need an inthewoodsfinder and an inthepondfinder.
    #theresanappforthat

https://clubhouse.swingu.com/lifesty...gps-chip-ball/

Although, it doesn't look like 4 years later that it has come to market.

Here is one that you can buy now

https://www.intheholegolf.com/RADARG...en-Balls).html

I vote yeah and I say let the pros have a mulligan was well.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    I vote yeah and I say let the pros have a mulligan was well.

GoDuke!
    I think it would actually be pretty interesting if they had a tournament where the player got to take one mulligan per round. The strategy about where and when to take the mulligan would add some interest.

In some cases the answer would be obvious. If you hit your tee shot out of bounds, for example, the mulligan could save you two strokes right off, as you would hit your mulligan instead of a provisional.

But what if you don't have any really bad shots? Do you take it on a full wedge approach that ended up 18 feet away? Do you take another chip from the side of the green when it rolls out more than you expected? Or do you wait for an 8-11-foot putt that you lipped out? No guarantee, in any of those cases, that your next shot will be any better. Some guys might get to the 17th or 18th hole waiting for the best opportunity and then maybe have to waste it. It would be one shot each round, use it or lose it, without any carry over to the next round.

They will likely never do this, but I think it would be really interesting and i'm probably not the only person out there who would enjoy this concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I was thinking the exact opposite, no lie. I don’t get the arguments against it. It seems similar IMO to wanting NFL teams to not allow the tablets to reviews plays on the sideline.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think it would actually be pretty interesting if they had a tournament where the player got to take one mulligan per round. The strategy about where and when to take the mulligan would add some interest.

In some cases the answer would be obvious. If you hit your tee shot out of bounds, for example, the mulligan could save you two strokes right off, as you would hit your mulligan instead of a provisional.

But what if you don't have any really bad shots? Do you take it on a full wedge approach that ended up 18 feet away? Do you take another chip from the side of the green when it rolls out more than you expected? Or do you wait for an 8-11-foot putt that you lipped out? No guarantee, in any of those cases, that your next shot will be any better. Some guys might get to the 17th or 18th hole waiting for the best opportunity and then maybe have to waste it. It would be one shot each round, use it or lose it, without any carry over to the next round.

They will likely never do this, but I think it would be really interesting and i'm probably not the only person out there who would enjoy this concept.
    1. Bubba is always the better golfer.

2. Jean van de Velde would have won the British Open in 1999 with that mulligan!

3. Scott Hoch wouldn’t have to tell people “you pronounce my last name Hoch, as in choke”.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    1. Bubba is always the better golfer.

2. Jean van de Velde would have won the British Open in 1999 with that mulligan!

3. Scott Hoch wouldn’t have to tell people “you pronounce my last name Hoch, as in choke”.
    Love it, but just to be clear, I wasn’t advocating that they get one mulligan per round in every tournament, certainly not in the majors. So van de Velde would still have to live with one of the world’s most famous choke jobs.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Love it, but just to be clear, I wasn’t advocating that they get one mulligan per round in every tournament, certainly not in the majors. So van de Velde would still have to live with one of the world’s most famous choke jobs.
    I always thought the way they should have weighted the fed ex cup finale would be to give more mulligans to the players who entered the event with the most points, instead of adjusting their starting score (only half kidding, as this will NEVER happen). Think about how aggressive they could be on short par 4s or on par 5s with a mulligan in their back pocket