Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    8-20. I so enjoyed that season.
    Yeah, it wasn’t one of the worst UNC seasons; it was one of the best, at least as far as I’m concerned.

I hate to be the " Get Off My Lawn " guy again, but can we stop the speculation and just enjoy and appreciate what we have in Coach K and hope this decision isn't for a few more seasons down the road. Please ?

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    I hate to be the " Get Off My Lawn " guy again, but can we stop the speculation and just enjoy and appreciate what we have in Coach K and hope this decision isn't for a few more seasons down the road. Please ?
    You’re no fun. 😉

But really, this is going to happen after just two more seasons. Coach K will retire when his grandson, Michael Savarino, completes his Duke basketball eligibility. It’s not too far off now.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I agree that Duke is the premier program but I would argue that has more to do with Coach K than any other factor. Alabama is the premier program in college football but I wouldn't bet on their next coach matching the record of Nick Saban. Nebraska and Florida State were two of the premier college football programs of the 1990s, but how much of that was Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden?

UNC got to Roy after 3 years of Guthridge, who did make the Final Four twice but was clearly behind Duke on the court and the recruiting trail, and then 3 years of Matt Doherty, who improved recruiting but caused a player revolt and the worst UNC season since I don't know when. I really think, no matter what the resources a program has, it's the coach in college who makes a program ascend to the absolute top level.

I'm not saying Duke can't go to a Final Four or win a national title with Quin Snyder or any other successor to Coach K, I'm just saying the coach is the secret sauce to dominate in college sports.
    Duke basketball, 1963-1978 -- four Final Fours. Duke basketball, 2004-2019 -- three Final Fours. We weren't chopped liver before Coach K.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    Porque no los dos?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You’re no fun. 😉

But really, this is going to happen after just two more seasons. Coach K will retire when his grandson, Michael Savarino, completes his Duke basketball eligibility. It’s not too far off now.
    Michael has three, or maybe four, more years of eligibility at Duke. Enough time to get an MBA from Fuqua.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Michael has three, or maybe four, more years of eligibility at Duke. Enough time to get an MBA from Fuqua.
    Wait...what??! I thought he was in the midst of completing his second season, which would leave only two remaining. No?

Wait...what??! I thought he was in the midst of completing his second season, which would leave only two remaining. No?
    Last year was his redshirt year. This season is his Covid-19 (doesn't count against eligibility) year.

This year doesn’t count. So he has 3 if he wants (and he will want). Four if he redshirts (or has already redshirted).

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    This year doesn’t count. So he has 3 if he wants (and he will want). Four if he redshirts (or has already redshirted).
    Well, there goes my theory.

Pretty sure he redshirted last year. Didn't Mrs K get pissed at Coach K when he mentioned their grandson was gonna redshirt?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

The only thing I'm interested in discussing in this thread is whether Coach K likes Greg the Egg. Hint: he does not.

Does it have to be a Duke guy? I’d prefer to not hire someone if the coaching tree considering none of them have been great.

Other issue w Quinn Snyder is he didn’t exactly run a clean program at Missouri

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Does it have to be a Duke guy? I’d prefer to not hire someone if the coaching tree considering none of them have been great.
    Yes, it has to be a Duke guy. That’s just the reality of what’s going to happen.

By the way, many coaches, front office personnel, and journalists associated with the NBA think our guy in Utah has done an excellent job. So I don’t believe your assertion is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke basketball, 1963-1978 -- four Final Fours. Duke basketball, 2004-2019 -- three Final Fours. We weren't chopped liver before Coach K.
    Wow; I can rapidly fire off all years Duke made final four (can’t remember anybody’s name), but had not thought of our history in those terms. Early on K was invincible in Elite 8 games, not so much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow; I can rapidly fire off all years Duke made final four (can’t remember anybody’s name), but had not thought of our history in those terms. Early on K was invincible in Elite 8 games, not so much anymore.
    Worth noting that Coach K's "invincibility" in elite-8 games from 1986-1994 wasn't as clear-cut as it may seem. In 1990, we were a Christian Laettner turnaround from being eliminated in the Elite-8 by UConn. In 1992 we were a Christian Laettner turnaround from being eliminated by Kentucky.

Conversely, Coach K's record in Elite-8s since then isn't as bad as it may seem. In 2018, we were a Grayson Allen short runner away from reaching the Final Four. Probably missed winning by a quarter of an inch. In 2019, we were an RJ Barrett missed 3 (or a Zion missed assignment) away from the Final Four.

If Laettner misses instead of makes and if those Allen and Barrett shots go in, our 2015-2019 is suddenly our best 5-year run ever at Duke, and absolutely nobody is complaining about the one-and-done era. Funny how a single shot or two can make such a huge difference in perception.

Worth noting that Coach K's "invincibility" in elite-8 games from 1986-1994 wasn't as clear-cut as it may seem. In 1990, we were a Christian Laettner turnaround from being eliminated in the Elite-8 by UConn. In 1992 we were a Christian Laettner turnaround from being eliminated by Kentucky.

Conversely, Coach K's record in Elite-8s since then isn't as bad as it may seem. In 2018, we were a Grayson Allen short runner away from reaching the Final Four. Probably missed winning by a quarter of an inch. In 2019, we were an RJ Barrett missed 3 (or a Zion missed assignment) away from the Final Four.

If Laettner misses instead of makes and if those Allen and Barrett shots go in, our 2015-2018 is suddenly our best 4-year run ever at Duke, and absolutely nobody is complaining about the one-and-done era. Funny how a single shot or two can make such a huge difference in perception.
    You could say the same thing about this year's last few games.

If Laettner misses instead of makes and if those Allen and Barrett shots go in, our 2015-2018 is suddenly our best 4-year run ever at Duke, and absolutely nobody is complaining about the one-and-done era. Funny how a single shot or two can make such a huge difference in perception.
    Well, against Kansas in 2018, we had the ball and a three-point lead with under a minute to go. Probability of win must have been 0.90+.
    And we would have won in OT, I believe, if not for that bogus block call against Wendell.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Scheyer, Capel, and Snyder immediately come to mind as guys I would be happy to see take over.