Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    There isn't a snowball's chance that K is making THIS season his last.
    Michael Savarino has four more years of eligibility.

My understanding is that we have not made any offers for 2022-23. Anyone have thoughts as to why this is the case?

There isn't a snowball's chance that K is making THIS season his last.
    Well, it depends upon where that snowball is located. If it’s in the valleys near the top of Antarctica's ice sheet it was minus 148 degrees Fahrenheit this winter. So....

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Well, it depends upon where that snowball is located. If it’s in the valleys near the top of Antarctica's ice sheet it was minus 148 degrees Fahrenheit this winter. So...
    I've never heard the old phrase "You don't have a snowball's chance in the valleys near the top of Antarctica's ice sheet."
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I've never heard the old phrase "You don't have a snowball's chance in the valleys near the top of Antarctica's ice sheet."
    You have now! 😉

Not now

There's no way that K retires now... not after a down year. Perhaps after next year, or one additional year, after major successes and when he will be 75. But what about a chance to coach Lebron's son, Bronny? No way to read the tea leaves...

Quote Originally Posted by revmel53 View Post
    There's no way that K retires now... not after a down year. Perhaps after next year, or one additional year, after major successes and when he will be 75. But what about a chance to coach Lebron's son, Bronny? No way to read the tea leaves...
    my personal plan was for us to sign Baldwin and Keels, K wins another title, into the sunset he rides...the plan is slightly askew at this point, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartford Dukie View Post
    My understanding is that we have not made any offers for 2022-23. Anyone have thoughts as to why this is the case?
    Because 22-23 is a long way off (most of those kids won't even begin thinking about a serious college commitment for another 15 months) and thanks to the pandemic our ability to make a personal connection with kids has been extremely limited. K does not throw out offers willy-nilly like some other coaches. An offer from Duke is a big deal and represents a real statement on our part about how we feel about a kid. K probably wants to wait to do something like that live and in person.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Because 22-23 is a long way off (most of those kids won't even begin thinking about a serious college commitment for another 15 months) and thanks to the pandemic our ability to make a personal connection with kids has been extremely limited. K does not throw out offers willy-nilly like some other coaches. An offer from Duke is a big deal and represents a real statement on our part about how we feel about a kid. K probably wants to wait to do something like that live and in person.
    Not that you don't make valid points, but HD's question is also valid. As an example, here's the first post from the '21 recruiting thread, made in July of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    Time to open a new thread! Duke has extended it's first offer to a member of the Class of 2021.

Patrick Baldwin, Jr., is a 6'8" forward from Sussex, Wisconsin. He has recently ranked among the highest members of his recruiting class with ESPN giving him the early slot for #1 recruit in his class of rising sophomore. Baldwin has size, shooting, athleticism, passing, quickness, and all the other traits you would want out of a forward. If he fills out his growing frame, he could be a modern stretch 4 or operate as a facilitator and scorer from the wings. The kid has the full package and could develop into an exceptional talent.
    And while it was a few months before other player names popped up, it was decently active by early March in 2019, so the timing is understandably right to wonder.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thanks, Jason...I should have stated my point better Its the class of 2022, the year after Banchero and Griffin.

I went back through past 12 DBR pages -- back to December 4th - and I could not find the 2022 recruiting thread So apparently there has been nothing to report on 2022 recruiting for the past three months. Elsewhere I have read - perhaps mistakenly - that even though its March 2021, Duke has not offered anyone for 2022 at this point. Isn't this quite unusual from past years? Maybe its because the staff can't get out, but plenty of other schools are offering for 2022. Is K seeding out a signal about this plans?

Not that you don't make valid points, but HD's question is also valid. As an example, here's the first post from the '21 recruiting thread, made in July of 2018.

And while it was a few months before other player names popped up, it was decently active by early March in 2019, so the timing is understandably right to wonder.
    Are you and Hartford Duke concerned that the bloom might finally be off the Duke and Coach K rose?

Are you and Hartford Duke concerned that the bloom might finally be off the Duke and Coach K rose?
    Very legitimate question since we’ve typically made multiple HS player offers by Spring of their Junior year.
    Hope it doesn’t hint that K’s last season is next season.

I went back through past 12 DBR pages -- back to December 4th - and I could not find the 2022 recruiting thread.
    Almost made it. Here's the 2022 recruiting thread, last updated November 18.

As to your greater point of the inactivity the past few months, I assume the current season is keeping all coaches busy, not just at Duke. If we look at the 247 Sports list of 2022 recruits, only 6 in the Top 50 have committed, and about 15 more have any schools listed.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

As to your greater point of the inactivity the past few months, I assume the current season is keeping all coaches busy, not just at Duke. If we look at the 247 Sports list of 2022 recruits, only 6 in the Top 50 have committed, and about 15 more have any schools listed.
    Also, I appreciate the efforts of those DBR posters who follow recruiting more closely, but perhaps there is recruiting going on and we are just not aware of it?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Well...so this year between November 18 - today, there have been zero posts in the 2022 recruiting thread

Last year, between November 18, 2019 and March 8, 2020, there were 131 - yep, 131 - posts in the 2021 recruiting thread.

Something more is up, in my view, than the coaches are busy or they haven't been able to get out to explain that difference in activity, as reflected in posts on DBR recruiting threads.

Well...so this year between November 18 - today, there have been zero posts in the 2022 recruiting thread

Last year, between November 18, 2019 and March 8, 2020, there were 131 - yep, 131 - posts in the 2021 recruiting thread.

Something more is up, in my view, than the coaches are busy or they haven't been able to get out to explain that difference in activity, as reflected in posts on DBR recruiting threads.
    Wow, using quantity of DBR posts as a metric! I love it!! 👍🏻

Wow, using quantity of DBR posts as a metric! I love it!! 👍🏻
    Beats the heck out of using quality of DBR posts as a metric!

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You are correct, sir!

is that raw or adjusted quality? tempo free?
    April 1

I resemble that!
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion