Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I guess we'll see how assertive the new AD turns out to be. I could easily imagine a scenario in which a somewhat tentative AD nudges the choice over to K (who will no doubt have massive input regardless of AD).
    I have a more nuanced* view. The mantra at Duke, throughout the University, is to have "a nationwide search to find the best candidate." There will be Duke people and people with no connection to Duke on the list. Consideration will be, I suppose, "Duke values," coaching record, ability to recruit, ability to step up and run the country's most visible hoops program, and a keen intelligence. Duke experience will be a plus, but you can't do a "nationwide search" for a foregone conclusion.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'People who use this word seem to be smart -- I wish I knew what it meant'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I have a more nuanced* view. The mantra at Duke, throughout the University, is to have "a nationwide search to find the best candidate." There will be Duke people and people with no connection to Duke on the list. Consideration will be, I suppose, "Duke values," coaching record, ability to recruit, ability to step up and run the country's most visible hoops program, and a keen intelligence. Duke experience will be a plus, but you can't do a "nationwide search" for a foregone conclusion.

Kindly,
    Sage
    I pretty much agree, Sage...but I think if Duke goes with a homegrown AD, K's influence will be especially high, just my own feeling. (and I have no idea which way they're leaning in the AD search).

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post

Kindly,
    Sage
    Can anyone provide a current definition of these "Duke Values" of which you speak?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Can anyone provide a current definition of these "Duke Values" of which you speak?
    I’m pretty sure Price, K and others could.

We all could -- academics, integrity and caring about people.

Oh yeah, and did you read the stuff about Les Miles at LSU? He described female student assistants as either "AM girls or PM girls." Not Duke values -- or any other places, it turns out -- Les Miles has been suspended at Kansas for the LSU reports.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

plenty of them are listed on light posts as you walk down blue devil alley. at least the ones that haven't fallen off.

or maybe we take them down when we start ignoring that value...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I miss the days here when Gail Goestenkors was being posited as a K successor. My God we're all so much older than we were. K longus, vita brevis.
    She's still available.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I pretty much agree, Sage...but I think if Duke goes with a homegrown AD, K's influence will be especially high, just my own feeling. (and I have no idea which way they're leaning in the AD search).
    I would think that any athletic director applicant would be asked by the committee who he thinks might be a potential successor to Coach K

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    I would think that any athletic director applicant would be asked by the committee who he thinks might be a potential successor to Coach K
    I'd hope not. I would expect for him/her to be asked what qualities they would be looking for in potential candidates for any job, but I would steer clear of asking specifically about any coach in any sport.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

my main interest point now is whether the AD comes from the outside or not...that should be interesting.

I’d love to see Duke take a run at Jay Wright t at Nova. Nova, small private school, similar in a lot of ways to Duke and Jay is establishing a consistent winning tradition as well. Must be the hair gel.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    I’d love to see Duke take a run at Jay Wright t at Nova. Nova, small private school, similar in a lot of ways to Duke and Jay is establishing a consistent winning tradition as well. Must be the hair gel.
    Jay Wright turns 60 this year — not ideal. But I’d still be very happy with his hire if neither Snyder nor Stevens were available.

There is no doubt in my mind that Wright would do a fantastic job at Duke. One of the main problems, however, is that he has an awesome program at Villanova. I don’t see why he would leave unless his current salary (he makes $4.41 million) were upgraded by $3 million or more. And even then that might not be enough incentive for him to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    And he would leave Villanova why? I have lots of friends who went to Nova, and a close friend whose kids are there now. They worship Wright. He is treated so well there. His wife went to Villanova. He is from the northeast (very close to Philly) and the Philly burbs are a nice place to live, especially when you are making millions. Not gonna happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    And he would leave Villanova why?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    I don't know this from personal experience, but I think that at some point, one has enough money and other things become more important. Wright has made plenty of money in his career - I don't think that is what drives him. A quick google search shows he makes over $4 million a year. It also shows that UCLA offered to double that and he said no thanks. I think he would generally be more willing to listen to Duke than UCLA, but I still don't think he would do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I don't know this from personal experience, but I think that at some point, one has enough money and other things become more important. Wright has made plenty of money in his career - I don't think that is what drives him. A quick google search shows he makes over $4 million a year. It also shows that UCLA offered to double that and he said no thanks. I think he would generally be more willing to listen to Duke than UCLA, but I still don't think he would do it.
    Gosh darn it. If doubling his salary to go to UCLA did not give Wright enough motivation to take the UCLA job (if that report is accurate) then that probably won’t work for Duke either.

Sure, that was two years ago and UCLA and Duke are very different situations, but it’s not looking good. Oh well, Quin will just have to come riding in on his white horse to rescue his alma mater.

Brad Stevens or bust. Said it was his dream job a decade or so ago.

It may be the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke12 View Post
    Brad Stevens or bust. Said it was his dream job a decade or so ago.
    Stevens will listen for sure. Players will come to play for him given his experience in the Pros.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    It may be the time.
    There isn't a snowball's chance that K is making THIS season his last.