Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    My relatives in Lubbock and a much smaller town in the Oklahoma panhandle might take exception to occasional snark, but they seem quite happy with their lives in smaller cities/towns. If they liked Dallas, Oklahoma City, or Houston better, they'd move. They'd agree that west Texas looks like Mars. Intimations that they're necessarily small minded, however, would either be politely ignored and/or privately ridiculed.
    In the interest of fairness, here is a true-to-life photo of life in my hometown of Atlanta.

There is many a day that I would kill for this...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    In the interest of fairness, here is a true-to-life photo of life in my hometown of Atlanta.

Would you be willing to give me the oil rigs in the background?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

You could go there on vacation, just like the song suggests!

In all seriousness, I lived in West Texas for quite a few years — though Lubbock might be considered to be more in the Panhandle than the western portion of this ginormous state — and the topography and solitude has its charms. The sunsets are spectacular; there can be no denying that.

]
    What’s it like during rush hour?

And how was it before the pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    What’s it like during rush hour?

And how was it before the pandemic?
    Haha, I got a good laugh out of that one! 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    Comments like these make me begin to understand the white-hot hatred for collegey larger-metro people like us Duke types that folks in these rural/micropolitan/small metro places have developed.
    I used to care a lot more about that hatred you are talking about (although I'm not sure hatred is the right word) and trying to understand it and ameliorate it. Now, not so much. If they're happy where they live and with the lives they have, and want to stay there, great. More power to em. If it makes them feel better to come up with reasons to resent city folk and their lifestyles, they can do that. Not sure where it really gets them, but whatever. Resent away. Or, they can move and try a different life. I don't really care anymore, and I'm not going to spend a whole lotta time worrying about it. To each his/her own.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I used to care a lot more about that hatred you are talking about (although I'm not sure hatred is the right word) and trying to understand it and ameliorate it. Now, not so much. If they're happy where they live and with the lives they have, and want to stay there, great. More power to em. If it makes them feel better to come up with reasons to resent city folk and their lifestyles, they can do that. Not sure where it really gets them, but whatever. Resent away. Or, they can move and try a different life. I don't really care anymore, and I'm not going to spend a whole lotta time worrying about it. To each his/her own.
    human nature, tribalism, yadda yadda yadda. IMO it's going to happen one way or another. So what can you do? treat people with respect best you can and come to terms some might not be able to do you the same courtesy. That said, if they're ALSO UNC fans....all bets are off
    1200. DDMF.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    You couldn’t come up with one for Atlanta? With the SunPass sign, this has to be in Florida.

(I think I uploaded an appropriate one from the ATC; not as good with an iPad as with a computer.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    You couldn’t come up with one for Atlanta? With the SunPass sign, this has to be in Florida.

(I think I uploaded an appropriate one from the ATC; not as good with an iPad as with a computer.)
    Uh, yeah, never heard of any 62nd Street in the A, or Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, for that matter.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Based on the Golden Eagles' performance in the Dean Dome tonight, I say we offer the job to Wojo ASAP.

Smile I'm vainly and happily trying to connect the dots...

Quote Originally Posted by VA_BDevil View Post
    Based on the Golden Eagles' performance in the Dean Dome tonight, I say we offer the job to Wojo ASAP.
    As someone very interested in the matter of who will follow Coach K, I decided to drop into this thread on the last page. I quickly went back a page or two. My mind is feverishly trying to make sense: Have we narrowed down where Coach's successor will come from? Are we talking about where he might retire? Are these various regions of the US metaphors for the kind of successor we are looking for?

I jest. I am happy that the mods are not being casuistic and allow us to move a conversation along as our spirits [in both senses] inspire us.

I love the city and country mouse discussion. Good mices everywhere.
    “I love it. Coach, when we came here, we had a three-hour meeting about the core values. If you really represent the core values, it means diving on the floor, sacrificing your body for your teammates, no matter how much you’re up by or how much you’re down by, always playing hard.” -- Zion

Capel just had two rotation players leave the team over the last 2 days...now great for the successor stock watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Capel just had two rotation players leave the team over the last 2 days...now great for the successor stock watch.
    In this day and age where you can bet on anything, one would think that somewhere there would be a market for betting on K's successor. I think that the DBR poster who would be most likely to be aware of (and participating in) such a market was recently removed...

I agree that at first glance, this doesn't reflect well on Capel, but one does not know what is happening behind the scenes - if someone is being pushed out, Coaches are hesitant to go public and badmouth them.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Why not? Coach K just had one leave the team a week ago.

Thank you Lubbock, for Buddy Holly.

I hope we are 2-3 years away from K's successor.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Why not? Coach K just had one leave the team a week ago.
    And I don't think his stock is on the rise to replace himself either.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    You could go there on vacation, just like the song suggests!

In all seriousness, I lived in West Texas for quite a few years — though Lubbock might be considered to be more in the Panhandle than the western portion of this ginormous state — and the topography and solitude has its charms. The sunsets are spectacular; there can be no denying that.
    Yeah you need to head out to Bandera if you want to go out West to “slow down”.

https://youtu.be/wg1pYtoWL6c

Jeff Eisenberg at Yahoo Sports has a new article about Coach K succession possibilities:

https://sports.yahoo.com/looking-int...173548675.html

The upshot of the article is that a) someone with Duke ties is most likely and b) none of the former players/assistants currently in head coach positions are doing all that great, so it's not clear who would have the inside track.

Quote Originally Posted by 91Duke View Post
    Jeff Eisenberg at Yahoo Sports has a new article about Coach K succession possibilities:

https://sports.yahoo.com/looking-int...173548675.html

The upshot of the article is that a) someone with Duke ties is most likely and b) none of the former players/assistants currently in head coach positions are doing all that great, so it's not clear who would have the inside track.
    i mean, i don't think Eisenberg has any inside info on this, so the takeaway that someone with duke ties is most likely is not really supportable, at least from the article itself. Now, one might reasonably believe it to be true, but I don't think it the article should make one any more or less confident in that assertion, moreso than anything they read here, anyway.

It's pretty much a rehash of everything that has been said here. Heck, DBR might be his primary source
    1200. DDMF.

I miss the days here when Gail Goestenkors was being posited as a K successor. My God we're all so much older than we were. K longus, vita brevis.