Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I don’t know it the Duke job is harder than the NBA jobs. You have to play 82 effing regular season games in the NBA plus potentially the playoffs as well — and if you are successful those playoffs go on for a long long time. Oh, and there are preseason games too.

Travel is HARD, as is getting physically and emotionally up for 100 games per season.
    On the other hand, you don't have to spend most of your time/energy trying to convince 15 year olds to like you.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    But you don’t have to recruit (a year-round chore), you don’t have to worry about making sure your program is clean, you don’t have to suffer through nearly as much practice, and you generally don’t have to teach kids how to play year after year.

The length of the season is clearly worse. But the job over the course of the year is probably easier.
    Yeah, recruiting is tough, but the assistant coaches do most of the heavy lifting. Coach K is more the closer. And yes, you have to run a clean program, but that simply means following the rules; it shouldn’t be an undue burden. And sure, teaching is not easy, but most coaches — including K, I think — truly enjoy teaching. They get a lot of fulfillment out of it.

All things considered I’d much rather be coaching at Duke University than the Utah Jazz.

Yeah, recruiting is tough, but the assistant coaches do most of the heavy lifting. Coach K is more the closer.
    Coach K can play the role of closer because he's got 3 decades of success and 5 national championships to hang his hat on. The next coach is almost certainly going to have to be more active on the recruiting trail.

And yes, you have to run a clean program, but that simply means following the rules; it shouldn’t be an undue burden.
    Following the rules isn't (that) hard. Making sure the other 20-30 people in your program (plus recruits you're trying to bring into your program) are all following the rules is hard. To say nothing of boosters over whom you have basically no control, despite having to suffer the consequences of their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Coach K can play the role of closer because he's got 3 decades of success and 5 national championships to hang his hat on. The next coach is almost certainly going to have to be more active on the recruiting trail.

Following the rules isn't (that) hard. Making sure the other 20-30 people in your program (plus recruits you're trying to bring into your program) are all following the rules is hard. To say nothing of boosters over whom you have basically no control, despite having to suffer the consequences of their actions.
    Yep. The NBA coaching gig has many superiorities to the college gig, and one of them is that you don't have to constantly sell yourself to parents/teenagers on the recruiting trail every year. And you don't have to worry about whether a kid you're recruiting is going to get your program in trouble, nor do you have to worry about committing recruiting violations (Snyder has experience with NCAA violations). You don't have to recruit at all. You don't have to coach effort in the NBA, because they are all pros. You focus primarily on the Xs and Os. It's a much more pure coaching experience. You almost never see successful NBA coaches come back to college, and there is a reason for that.

The other thing is that job security isn't usually an issue. Yes, NBA coaches do get fired from time to time. But usually, once you make the established NBA coaching circles, even if you get fired you just find yourself in another NBA job. Snyder has established himself to the degree that, even if/when his success in Utah peters out, he'll get hired on by another NBA team if he wants.

Not saying Snyder would definitely turn down the Duke job if offered. But I could very easily see him saying "no thanks" to going back to college, even at his alma mater. Once coaches coach with some success in the NBA, they tend to not want to return to college.

I remember many years ago being in RDU one Fall at some ungodly hour, like 6 a.m., waiting for a flight, and in came a very fatigued looking Dean Smith who was accompanying recruit Jason Collier to his flight...and he didn't sign him anyway (nor did K who wanted him badly). It struck me as part of the job Dean could have done without.

Quin has 3 children from his second marriage, twins Anika and Wyatt (born in 2012) and Madeleine (born in 2014). So, that is 3 kids under 10 years old. I am guessing that if the Duke job came open and he was offered it, one consideration would be the fact that he would travel a lot lot lot lot lot less as a college coach than he does as a NBA coach.

Quin's wife, graduated from the University of Florida and then got a Special Education masters at the University of Washington. She later got a Ph.D. in Learning Disabilities and Behavior Disorders from the University of Texas. It is quite possible that Duke could offer her something in the way of a professorship or some other kind of position that would make moving to Durham quite attractive for the couple.

The notion that Quin would not be at all interested in the Duke job merely because he is successful in the NBA does not hold water to me. The Duke job is one of the very rare college positions that even successful NBA coaches would strongly consider and I suspect that if Duke really wanted Quin, there are many ways they could make the move seem quite attractive.

-Jason "I suspect UNC, Kentucky, and maybe Kansas are the only other jobs that could hope to lure a NBA coach to 'step down' to college" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Quin has 3 children from his second marriage, twins Anika and Wyatt (born in 2012) and Madeleine (born in 2014). So, that is 3 kids under 10 years old. I am guessing that if the Duke job came open and he was offered it, one consideration would be the fact that he would travel a lot lot lot lot lot less as a college coach than he does as a NBA coach.

Quin's wife, graduated from the University of Florida and then got a Special Education masters at the University of Washington. She later got a Ph.D. in Learning Disabilities and Behavior Disorders from the University of Texas. It is quite possible that Duke could offer her something in the way of a professorship or some other kind of position that would make moving to Durham quite attractive for the couple.

The notion that Quin would not be at all interested in the Duke job merely because he is successful in the NBA does not hold water to me. The Duke job is one of the very rare college positions that even successful NBA coaches would strongly consider and I suspect that if Duke really wanted Quin, there are many ways they could make the move seem quite attractive.

-Jason "I suspect UNC, Kentucky, and maybe Kansas are the only other jobs that could hope to lure a NBA coach to 'step down' to college" Evans
    I feel like the decrease in game travel (1/3 as much travel, to a rough approximation) probably gets counterbalanced by the constant traveling for recruiting during recruiting seasons. Maybe you still travel a little less as a college coach, but probably not by enough for it to be a deciding factor.

Coaches travel a lot for for recruiting.

Also, the college game is very much in flux right now. I would probably want to know how things are going to play out over the next 10 years in the college landscape before I jumped ship from a stable gig in the pros.

I'm not sure this is true. College coaches travel a LOT on the recruiting trail. They don't travel as much for games, but I would suspect that the travel is pretty similar.

Just to be clear, I don't think anyone is saying that Snyder wouldn't be "at all interested" in the Duke job. Just saying that there is a reason guys tend to stick in the NBA when they get the chance. The Duke job is one of the very few jobs for which it MIGHT be worth reconsidering leaving the NBA.

Snyder might well be interested in the job. But I'd say it is at best an "if", not nearly a given. I'd tend to say it's more likely he would prefer to stay in the NBA than not, but that's far different than saying he'd not be at all interested in the Duke job.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Mostly wanted to introduce Snyder to the discussion.
    No introduction necessary...

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...86#post1248086

Third marriage. He was also married to Larry Brown's daughter back in the day.

The flip side is that as a parent of two kids roughly the same age as Quin's, I know that if his kids are happy in their schools in Utah, he might be hesitant to move them. Moving is a fact of life for many but it is also something many try to avoid. Especially if it is in a few years and they are even more involved in school, friends, activities, etc. And his wife might be very happy with her current job and lifestyle. We all have our loyalties to Durham but Salt Lake City can also be appealing. Quin is from the west coast - I don't know if he still has family there.

Also, as others have said, the in-season NBA travel is rough, but once the season is over, you are really off for at least a few months (depending on how well your team does). In college, there is always recruiting looming over your head, which requires a lot of travel, including in the summer.

Long story short, I think we all largely agree that Duke would have a lot of appeal to Quin, but there are also many reasons why he would stay where he is.

OTOH, Quin’s previous marriage didn’t benefit from his first college head coaching experience. If life is good, then why roll the dice?

The head coach of Duke Basketball is perhaps the premier coaching position in all of college basketball. You get the guy who you think is best for the job and let the chips fall where they may.
    Is that the Duke job is the premier job in college basketball, or Coach K is the premier coach? Duke does have great resources and tradition, but how much of the allure of Duke job rests with Coach K and how much with the school? In other words, how much of Duke's stature walks out the door with Coach K? Someone up above mentioned that Coach K can act as the closer in recruiting and not have to work as much at it as other coaches. IF that's true, could a new coach get away with that?

Also, do you ever want to be the guy that succeeds the legend? Your choices are either maintain a literally unmatched level of performance, OR get blamed because you took the premier job in college basketball and screwed it up. Having said that, I think Quin Snyder has shown he is a great coach and he worked his way back up from the D-League after his flameout at Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    Is that the Duke job is the premier job in college basketball, or Coach K is the premier coach? Duke does have great resources and tradition, but how much of the allure of Duke job rests with Coach K and how much with the school? In other words, how much of Duke's stature walks out the door with Coach K? Someone up above mentioned that Coach K can act as the closer in recruiting and not have to work as much at it as other coaches. IF that's true, could a new coach get away with that?

Also, do you ever want to be the guy that succeeds the legend? Your choices are either maintain a literally unmatched level of performance, OR get blamed because you took the premier job in college basketball and screwed it up. Having said that, I think Quin Snyder has shown he is a great coach and he worked his way back up from the D-League after his flameout at Mizzou.
    Yes, Coach K is the most renowned coach in college basketball. But I also think Duke has the premier program. I don’t think that will change when K leaves. How many other schools can both afford and be willing to pay their coach $9 million? That alone shows the level of dedication Duke University has towards supporting their men’s basketball program. It is synonymous with the school’s identity. That’s not going to change because Coach K retires.

And why should Quin be afraid to be the guy who succeeds the legend? He (Quin) is a great coach. It’s not like he’s going to suddenly forget how to coach after assuming control of the Duke program. I think he would keep it rolling just like Roy has done at UNC. Why not?

Something Different

Though K will surely want a promise to promote/bring in a former Duke player/coach, I would not want us to rule out Brad Stevens. He's not as young as he once was, but is a brilliant defensive coach, now has experience with the type players Duke brings in (which are different than those he recruited and coached at Butler), and can have some of the same clout as K in that he knows what it takes to make it to the net level. In his office several years ago, I shared with him that some Duke fans would love for him to come to Durham, to which he responded: "I believe K has the job covered now." The future AD will have to make a decision on the scope of the search group... Just saying...

Hey, Mods

Can someone with moderator powers retitle this thread? I don't care at all what Feinstein thinks, but many of you are making good points.

Yes, Coach K is the most renowned coach in college basketball. But I also think Duke has the premier program. I don’t think that will change when K leaves. How many other schools can both afford and be willing to pay their coach $9 million? That alone shows the level of dedication Duke University has towards supporting their men’s basketball program. It is synonymous with the school’s identity. That’s not going to change because Coach K retires.

And why should Quin be afraid to be the guy who succeeds the legend? He (Quin) is a great coach. It’s not like he’s going to suddenly forget how to coach after assuming control of the Duke program. I think he would keep it rolling just like Roy has done at UNC. Why not?
    I agree that Duke is the premier program but I would argue that has more to do with Coach K than any other factor. Alabama is the premier program in college football but I wouldn't bet on their next coach matching the record of Nick Saban. Nebraska and Florida State were two of the premier college football programs of the 1990s, but how much of that was Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden?

UNC got to Roy after 3 years of Guthridge, who did make the Final Four twice but was clearly behind Duke on the court and the recruiting trail, and then 3 years of Matt Doherty, who improved recruiting but caused a player revolt and the worst UNC season since I don't know when. I really think, no matter what the resources a program has, it's the coach in college who makes a program ascend to the absolute top level.

I'm not saying Duke can't go to a Final Four or win a national title with Quin Snyder or any other successor to Coach K, I'm just saying the coach is the secret sauce to dominate in college sports.
    Last edited by chris13; 02-11-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by summerwind03 View Post
    Third marriage. He was also married to Larry Brown's daughter back in the day.
    Having been married to Larry Brown’s daughter clearly disqualifies Quin.

Next play!

I agree that Duke is the premier program but I would argue that has more to do with Coach K than any other factor. Alabama is the premier program in college football but I wouldn't bet on their next coach matching the record of Nick Saban. Nebraska and Florida State were two of the premier college football programs of the 1990s, but how much of that was Tom Osborne and Bobby Bowden?

UNC got to Roy after 3 years of Guthridge, who did make the Final Four twice but was clearly behind Duke on the court and the recruiting trail, and then 3 years of Matt Doherty, who improved recruiting but caused a player revolt and the worst UNC season since I don't know when. I really think, no matter what the resources a program has, it's the coach in college who makes a program ascend to the absolute top level.

I'm not saying Duke can't go to a Final Four or win a national title with Quin Snyder or any other successor to Coach K, I'm just saying the coach is the secret sauce to dominate in college sports.
    I appreciate your examples, but such a minuscule sample size really doesn’t tell us much of anything at all. And to compare Matt Doherty’s coaching abilities to that of Quin Snyder with what he has already proven at the highest level of the sport is, well,...I’m not going to say.

Let me reiterate my belief that if Duke hires a really good coach (like a Quin Snyder), in combination with the incredible financial resources of Duke University and the complete commitment of Duke Athletics and the Duke community towards continuing to have a winning men’s basketball program, well, success should naturally follow.

That being said, I’m pretty darn sure you want Duke Basketball to continue to succeed just as much as I do. We both want the same thing, I think. Out of curiosity, who would you want to become the next coach if not Quin? Thanks for playing along. 😊

and the worst UNC season since I don't know when.
    8-20. I so enjoyed that season.