Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I'm with the doc. But I will fully support whatever decision the team makes.
    I have been hoping for an NIT invite and that the team accepts it. I think the NIT offers a better opportunity for growth than the NCAA, so am not disappointed that the team looks unlikely to slide into the larger tourney as one of the last teams in.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I have been hoping for an NIT invite and that the team accepts it. I think the NIT offers a better opportunity for growth than the NCAA, so am not disappointed that the team looks unlikely to slide into the larger tourney as one of the last teams in.
    For sure.

Another school I got mixed up with at some point, Mississippi State, has had a number of nextfourout-ish seasons since their last crest in 1995-2004, and a number of deep NIT runs. In context, I'd prefer to maintain a quarter-century NCAAT streak. But if that's off the table anyway, and in the context of a single season under a job-secure coach, I'd much rather see an NIT final four run than an NCAAT first round bounce out. MSU has had some genuinely fun runs in the NIT, and in the Carolinas, you've seen some people/programs like Dave Odom and WFU/USC profit from that tournament. And we've lost a number of schedule opportunities to COVID, and Lord knows these frosh need some more experience.

Now to stop myself form saying anything pessimistic about our chances in the NIT.

REPORT: After not being offered a bid to the NCAA tournament, @DukeMBB will not play in the NIT, marking the official end to the Blue Devils' 2020-21 season.

Courtesy: @dukebasketball official Twitter account.

Would have liked to see improvement like Louisville game.Now it is over. Hope 2021/22 is the Redemption season.

Quote Originally Posted by cameronduke View Post
    report: After not being offered a bid to the ncaa tournament, @dukembb will not play in the nit, marking the official end to the blue devils' 2020-21 season.

Courtesy: @dukebasketball official twitter account.
    bah humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    REPORT: After not being offered a bid to the NCAA tournament, @DukeMBB will not play in the NIT, marking the official end to the Blue Devils' 2020-21 season.

@DukeMBB is the official Twitter account. @dukebasketball is the Chronicle's Twitter account covering Duke basketball.

The Chronicle, like many media outlets, are editorializing a bit to create some rollercoaster drama where there probably was none.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post

Disappointing. I would have liked to have seen them compete and continue to build winning experience.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Disappointing. I would have liked to have seen them compete and continue to build winning experience.
    Not going to Texas is a sane move.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

So, it's over

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    After all the team and the University have been through, there was just no way the Administration was going to let the team go to Texas for a prolonged period while most CoVID restrictions are being relaxed there.

Why? The team could use experience.

What is wrong with Texas? Is it different than an ACC road game? We did those. Is it different than going to Indianapolis, which we would have accepted if we were better?

I would prefer more games regardless of the location.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    Why? The team could use experience.

What is wrong with Texas? Is it different than an ACC road game? We did those. Is it different than going to Indianapolis, which we would have accepted if we were better?

I would prefer more games regardless of the location.
    I think the point they are trying to make is that Texas recently dropped all Covid precautions and restrictions.

Apparently, the NCAA has an arrangement where the first four out are supposed to be 1 seeds in the NIT. But, Louisville has said they won’t accept an NIT bid, even if they are not a replacement team.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I think the point they are trying to make is that Texas recently dropped all Covid precautions and restrictions.
    Precisely! As much as I wanted to see us play more hoops, if Texas is our only option, I’m glad we declined. Not worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    Apparently, the NCAA has an arrangement where the first four out are supposed to be 1 seeds in the NIT. But, Louisville has said they won’t accept an NIT bid, even if they are not a replacement team.
    Louisville is not in the NIT bracket. I am not clear what happens if any of the other NIT teams gets called up to the NCAAs. Are there NIT alternates? Or do they just forfeit the game. I think/hope the odds of that are pretty low, given that Louisville is the first alternate, so it would mean the NCAAs needing to get down to the second alternate.

I just hope they don't screw up my NIT bracket pool

Quote Originally Posted by TywinBlue View Post
    After all the team and the University have been through, there was just no way the Administration was going to let the team go to Texas for a prolonged period while most CoVID restrictions are being relaxed there.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cbarry View Post
    Precisely! As much as I wanted to see us play more hoops, if Texas is our only option, I’m glad we declined. Not worth the risk.
    Oh, okay, if it makes you feel better. Texas doesn't have any restrictions, while Duke University has had many restrictions, but now has a ton of positive cases and a campus-wide shutdown. I guess we're really showing them.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Louisville is not in the NIT bracket. I am not clear what happens if any of the other NIT teams gets called up to the NCAAs. Are there NIT alternates? Or do they just forfeit the game. I think/hope the odds of that are pretty low, given that Louisville is the first alternate, so it would mean the NCAAs needing to get down to the second alternate.

I just hope they don't screw up my NIT bracket pool
    Yes, Louisville is the only one of the “first 4 out” NCAA replacement teams to reject an NIT bid. Apparently, there is also a first 4 out for the NIT, in case a team gets called up to the NCAAs or a replacement team is needed in the NIT.

Also, I didn’t realize that NC State had accepted an NIT bid - looks like they are the only ACC team.

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Folks - let's keep this on topic. This thread is about the 2021 NIT Tournament. It is NOT a thread about how some states and institutions are responding to COVID.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Agree Completely With Not Going to the NIT

The team has been asked to play all season mostly without fans in basically TV studios. They were isolated from practically everyone else.

They went to at least one game, Florida State, and had to come home without playing the game. They were constantly checked for the virus. I would assume that the coaching staff had to alter team building and practices and they become something much different from the past.

While I enjoyed watching many of the games, I personally think the right call was made by the Duke women bball team that canceled the season.

Hopefully next season will be "normal." Each year is different from the last and the value of a few more games in basketball in my opinion is pretty small. The players will play with and against each other lots more between now and the start of next season's practices. This is not football. Also, some players that come back may come back to different roles.

I feel very sorry for the players who could not have the season they envisioned.

Already looking forward to next year.

Has any team gone from Uninvited to Winning it All in the 64/68 team NCAA era?

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    Has any team gone from Uninvited to Winning it All in the 64/68 team NCAA era?
    Connecticut was academically ineligible in 2013 but may have otherwise made the field with a 20-10 (10-8 Big East) record. They switched to the American Athletic Conference and won it all in 2014.

There may be others.