Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    If Coach K and the players agree to play in the NIT, then I say, hell yeah , we should. We should support them just like it was the NCAA .

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    NCAA Final Four of Baylor, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, and Alabama.

NIT Final Four of Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and UNC/Indiana.

Which gets the higher TV ratings?
    I'm with tommy. Someone said that the top 13 winningest programs in college basketball history are outside the top 25 right now. You could probably assemble an amazing-looking NIT bracket, if you don't pay attention to the W/L records.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    That is correct. We played well until Banks broke his wrist. If that hadn’t occurred, may have gone far.
    My first trip to Cameron. It was vs NC A&T.

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    My first trip to Cameron. It was vs NC A&T.
    Yep, and then we beat Alabama with Banks on the sideline. We lost to Purdue in the NIT final eight, a year after we lost to them in the NCAA final eight.

It was fun, although it was also at a time when we'd only been to three NCAA tournaments in 15 years.

I agree with many of you -- if you love basketball, you accept any opportunity to play and nothing is worse than pride that only hurts yourself. However, in a pandemic year, it would have to be proven that every step of this tournament would be as safe or safer than the season up to now. We would need confirmation that the NCAA is going to commit equally to public health safety in the NIT as it will in the NCAA tourney, including manpower and financial commitment. If they cannot overwhelmingly prove this, then no one should play in the NIT.

I would play. We should have a number of players returning, and it not only would give them more experience but also the opportunity to play in a tournament atmosphere for a title and potentially to end the season on a better note and build confidence for next year. I think some past teams that have done well in the NIT have used it to springboard into their next year.

We've played this many games with zero COVID cases on the team.

I know we are stricter in limiting players' interaction with their families than many other schools, so that could be one counter factor, as it was in cancelling the cupcake nonconference games. Especially with the early postponed ACC games, I wish we could have those 4 cancelled easy non-conference wins back.

I've also noted some scapegoating of Johnson lately on the board and in chat. He's been consistent, but he's also played hard and unselfishly from what I've seen. I didn't how he seemed to snap a bit at a teammate after he failed to take the last shot against Miami, but otherwise he seems to have behaved well. There was speculation that he wouldn't return from his injury because he already was a Lottery pick, but obviously that did not happen. Personally, I don't doubt that he is trying hard to win.

Play. You have to play, as long as it is safe to do so.

To refuse an invitation would be seen as elitist, at best, and would play right into other people's preconceived notions of all that is wrong with Duke basketball and Duke University, for that matter.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

To refuse an invitation would be seen as elitist, at best, and would play right into other people's preconceived notions of all that is wrong with Duke basketball and Duke University, for that matter.
    I agree. If we are invited, ideally it would be done privately so that if we did choose to reject it, it would not make headlines (though I'm sure it would somehow leak). Because it would look really bad. But hopefully we wouldn't reject it so it would not be an issue.

As long as it is safe, we should do it. The extra practice is helpful. Coach K is a lover of basketball tradition and though it isn't what it once was, the NIT still has a lot of history.

So if we win it, do we hang a banner?

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I agree. If we are invited, ideally it would be done privately so that if we did choose to reject it, it would not make headlines (though I'm sure it would somehow leak). Because it would look really bad. But hopefully we wouldn't reject it so it would not be an issue.

As long as it is safe, we should do it. The extra practice is helpful. Coach K is a lover of basketball tradition and though it isn't what it once was, the NIT still has a lot of history.

We send the banner over to the Dean Dome for hanging, if they can find enough ceiling space.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post

This is silly. People decline NIT invitations even during non-COVID years. There would be nothing wrong with declining the invitation. I'm not even convinced it makes financial sense for the NIT Tournament to be held this year, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    This is silly. People decline NIT invitations even during non-COVID years. There would be nothing wrong with declining the invitation. I'm not even convinced it makes financial sense for the NIT Tournament to be held this year, anyway.
    Yeah, I could very easily see there being no NIT this year. And even if there was, I could see any number of teams deciding it's not a good idea to participate.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    If the NIT can create a bubble, then it’s probably safer than what they’re doing now. This team can use some more competitive games to prepare for next year. Nevertheless, if Jalen’s foot continues to be an issue he may wish to opt out.
    Do it and get more game reps for the guys who are returning. It's like the smaller bowl games, you are allowed to keep practicing and play more games. Steward (?), Roach, Moore, Goldwire (?), Coleman, Williams would all become better players for next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    The rules for Duke and the rules for everyone else are very different. If someone else declines an invitation, no big deal. When we do something like that, as rsvman noted, it makes headlines and we are elitist snobs.

ESPN has a long-term contract to broadcast the NIT as part of a bigger deal, so I don't know what the financials are, but there is some money there. Governor Cuomo just announced that larger arenas (like MSG) can be open at 10% capacity, so that isn't much, but it is greater than zero.

Again, hopefully safety is the guiding issue here above all else.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Yeah, I could very easily see there being no NIT this year. And even if there was, I could see any number of teams deciding it's not a good idea to participate.
    If we do decline, I really hope K isn’t the first to public make that announcement. Let a few other schools announce their decisions and attribute it to COVID, then we can do the same without everybody making a big deal out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    NCAA Final Four of Baylor, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, and Alabama.

NIT Final Four of Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and UNC/Indiana.

Which gets the higher TV ratings?
    The actual Final Four, irrespective of who's in it.

You can schedule a Yankees-Dodgers exhibition game during the World Series the next time somebody like the Royals and Padres are in it. It's not going to deliver ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    If we do decline, I really hope K isn’t the first to public make that announcement. Let a few other schools announce their decisions and attribute it to COVID, then we can do the same without everybody making a big deal out of it.
    Unfortunately, they will still make a big deal of it. It stinks but at this point I am somewhat immune to it.

Also, there's no guarantee that the marquee programs are going to make that NIT Final Four. In fact, it's nearly the opposite--you can't count on it. People have to win three games to get there. And right now we can't beat a Miami team with missing starters.

Nonetheless, I would support accepting a NIT invite. But I doubt that a coach who bagged the remain OOC slate will jump at the chance to do so. And Gary Williams isn't Mike Krzyzewski, either. Mike's less likely to get overruled by the school.

NIT brings back an ugly memory of probably my worst Duke road trip ever. In 1968 Duke didn't win the ACC tournament, so off to the NIT we went...flew up to NYC and watched the St. Peters (who?) Peacocks pummel Duke 100-71, utterly humiliating.

Got hit in the head by a vacuum cleaner in LaGuardia while sleeping on the floor.

A decision was made in December that Duke wouldn't play any more non-conference games this season. I doubt that Duke will revisit that issue. Do we really want to see the equivalent of Kentucky losing at Robert Morris in the NIT in 2013? That's probably what would happen if Duke decided to play in the NIT. Don't repeat Kentucky's mistake.

Like others have said, it's up to Coach K and the players.

I have no enthusiasm for watching Duke in the NIT. I'm probably spoiled but the NIT has always seemed insignificant to me.