Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I mean, railing on him is probably a bit of an overstatement of what happened. And the argument was always about fifth year (or now sixth year) Baker compared with the minimal usage of first year Baker.

At best, it was an irrelevant move. But when "at best" is "irrelevant", that should be the answer as to whether or not it was a good decision. No?
    Well, my point earlier in this thread was simply that maybe now we could all agree, but clearly I was wrong! Let's go back to discussing the various ways this disappointing season might end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Well, my point earlier in this thread was simply that maybe now we could all agree, but clearly I was wrong! Let's go back to discussing the various ways this disappointing season might end.
    On that I agree. And hopefully the ending to this season will not be as disappointing as the season has been to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gotta be honest, I think I would rather talk about Joey Baker's redshirt than how this season is going to end.

Gotta side with CDu on this one. Very little upside. The fact that a global pandemic came along and at least potentially gave the redshirt year back doesnt change the fact that the decision, at the time, was a bad one.

UNC is currently sitting "first four out" on several brackets.

The only acceptable outcome that includes Duke missing the tournament is for us to slam the door closed on UNC for the tournament at the end of the season.

Where is the discussion on what we need to do to make the big Tourney?

Has everyone given up already or does no one want to jinx it with a little speculation?

What happens if we take care of business with Wake, Tech, Syracuse and knock off one of UNC, Louisville, or Virginia? We would finish the season at 12-10 - 10-8 in the conference. We are currently #34 in KenPom. I would think with that finish, we could rise to maybe around #20-25. Doesn't that get us in?

We'd have to play really well to close out 4-2, but it doesn't seem impossible - especially now with an MWill blocking or altering every shot in the paint...

Agree that it's up to the staff/players to decide. I will support their decision, either way.

Random, personal thought: I would not want to see Duke accept a bid if they have a losing record (I don't think they would). But I do want to see Duke keep their 10-game per season winning streak going. After a year of ignominious streaks, I would not want to see that one fall, too. Of course Duke would have 10+ wins to have a .500+ season to accept a bid. I think they have a solid shot at 10 wins, anyway (though obviously this season nothing is a lock).

9F
    I will never talk about That Game. GTHC.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post

Has everyone given up already or does no one want to jinx it with a little speculation?

What happens if we take care of business with Wake, Tech, Syracuse and knock off one of UNC, Louisville, or Virginia? We would finish the season at 12-10 - 10-8 in the conference. We are currently #34 in KenPom. I would think with that finish, we could rise to maybe around #20-25. Doesn't that get us in?

We'd have to play really well to close out 4-2, but it doesn't seem impossible - especially now with an MWill blocking or altering every shot in the paint...
    That scenario would absolutely not get us in. I don't think it would even be close, honestly. I mean, UNC isn't even a tournament team right now, so saying "we went 1-1 against an NIT team" as our top accomplishment isn't going to do it.

It's either win the ACC tournament or maybe we can get an at-large if we win out the regular season but even that wouldn't be guaranteed.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post

Duke should be slightly favored over Louisville (at home) and only a slight underdog at UNC. A 5-1 record to close out the season, 11-7 in the ACC is far from impossible. Even upsetting Virginia at Cameron is nowhere near impossible. Whether we do any of that or not is a whole different matter. Also whether or not that would raise us enough in the NET (currently #66) to be back in the bubble conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    That scenario would absolutely not get us in. I don't think it would even be close, honestly. I mean, UNC isn't even a tournament team right now, so saying "we went 1-1 against an NIT team" as our top accomplishment isn't going to do it.

It's either win the ACC tournament or maybe we can get an at-large if we win out the regular season but even that wouldn't be guaranteed.
    I would say that if we win 5 of the last 6 and go at least .500 in the ACCT, we would get in. In that scenario, we would have at least 4 Q1 wins, and our NET would probably be in the high 30s. Just as importantly, we would jump ahead in the line of the ACC pecking order to 4th or 5th. If that 5-1 includes a win over UVa, I would all but guarantee we will be in.

If we win out the regular season, I would guarantee we would get an at leather. That would give us 4 Q1 wins, an above-.500 record in Q1 games, a Q1-A win, and a NET likely in the high 20s or low-30s.

Now, the likelihood of that happening is of course pretty low. So most likely our path to the NCAAT runs through winning the ACCT.

But I would say:
    5-1 with loss to UVa = need a strong ACCT result
    5-1 with a win vs UVa and no loss to Wake = almost surely in
    6-0 = as close to surely in as can be without a top-25 spot
    ACCT = surely in

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post

I think it is very unlikely that we win out, but if we did, I think we would easily be in the NCAA. We would be 14-8, 12-6, with 7 straight wins, including over Va, and considered one of the hottest, most dangerous teams in the country. Also, the most likely scenario is that we would have gone 4-1 in our cancelled games, which would have put us at 18-9. I get that we wouldn't have received much credit for beating weak non-conference teams, but you also shouldn't give much credit to competitors that have more wins simply because they played all of their easy win games. I think we would still be in the hunt at 13-9, 11-7 if we have a good showing in the ACC tournament, without winning it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    I think it is very unlikely that we win out, but if we did, I think we would easily be in the NCAA. We would be 14-8, 12-6, with 7 straight wins, including over Va, and considered one of the hottest, most dangerous teams in the country. Also, the most likely scenario is that we would have gone 4-1 in our cancelled games, which would have put us at 18-9. I get that we wouldn't have received much credit for beating weak non-conference teams, but you also shouldn't give much credit to competitors that have more wins simply because they played all of their easy win games. I think we would still be in the hunt at 13-9, 11-7 if we have a good showing in the ACC tournament, without winning it.
    Yes, a good showing in ACC tourney will be essential. Will likely have to play 4 games to win the thing, but winning 2 or 3 with above .500 in regular season may be enough. Seems committee has emphasized late season wins.

Duke legend John Feinstein has some info on the format of the N.I.T. this year:

https://twitter.com/JFeinsteinBooks/...17126875860994

Sounds kinda cool.

Bumping this because yeah.......however I have a difficult time seeing K wanting to take a Frisco trip:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...las-fort-worth

Quote Originally Posted by Natty_B View Post
    Bumping this because yeah....however I have a difficult time seeing K wanting to take a Frisco trip:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...las-fort-worth
    If you can fly to Atlanta or Miami or Syracuse, you can fly to an NIT game.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    If you can fly to Atlanta or Miami or Syracuse, you can fly to an NIT game.
    TX just ended its mask mandate. I can easily see K and the Duke administration not wanting it. (Duke professors are just eligible for the vaccine in NC today.)

A 0.500 record is far from a guarantee with this team. We shot very well against NCSU and Syracuse and have not repeated it.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    We shot very well against NCSU and Syracuse and have not repeated it.
    To be fair, the Syracuse game ended a run in which we averaged 44% from three over six games. It wasn't two good games that weren't "repeated." It was a prolonged six-game hot streak that ended and may or may not start up again.

500 record is no longer a requirement for the NIT, they did away with it a few years ago.

In this upside-down season, I could see the NIT turning out to be a pretty good show.

If that's the only invitation Duke gets this year, I certainly hope they take it. I don't think I can handle another season without post-season play...

Quote Originally Posted by DrChainsaw View Post
    In this upside-down season, I could see the NIT turning out to be a pretty good show.

If that's the only invitation Duke gets this year, I certainly hope they take it. I don't think I can handle another season without post-season play...
    I'm with the doc. But I will fully support whatever decision the team makes.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide