Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

2021 National Invitational Tournament (NIT)

I wanted to get the thoughts of others regarding the 2021 NIT.

Obviously, we hope Duke somehow turns their season around and goes on a rampage through the ACC in the games they have left, or wins the ACC Tournament to secure an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Tournament. At 7-8, 5-6 with games still vs UVa, FSU, and others, it is unlikely (although not impossible) for Duke to qualify for the big dance.

Would any of you like to see Duke play in the NIT?

Positives I see: more games for the team to grow together, gain experience, win together, practice together, and build for the future; possible trip to play in the final rounds at Madison Square Garden in the big apple; fans get to see this team play more games for our entertainment during a worldwide pandemic; some pride and prestige from possibly winning a championship this year; there’s probably more positives I can’t think of right now.

Negatives: possibly more exposure to Covid if the team has to travel for the tournament; some folks may view the NIT as a “second tier” type of or uninteresting, not entertaining tournament compared to the big dance; there is always the possibility of one and done and an early exit which may hurt the team’s confidence; there are probably more negatives.

It appears the 2021 NIT is still going to happen. Teams don’t have to have a .500 record anymore as a requirement to qualify for the NIT.

If Duke got offered a spot in the 2021 NIT, would you accept it or decline it? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    I wanted to get the thoughts of others regarding the 2021 NIT.

Obviously, we hope Duke somehow turns their season around and goes on a rampage through the ACC in the games they have left, or wins the ACC Tournament to secure an automatic bid to the 2021 NCAA Tournament. At 7-8, 5-6 with games still vs UVa, FSU, and others, it is unlikely (although nit impossible) for Duke to qualify for the big dance.

Would any of you like to see Duke play in the NIT?

Positives I see: more games for the team to grow together, gain experience, win together, practice together, and build for the future; possible trip to play in the final rounds at Madison Square Garden in the big apple; fans get to see this team play more games for our entertainment during a worldwide pandemic; some pride and prestige from possibly winning a championship this year; there’s probably more positives I can’t think of right now.

Negatives: possibly more exposure to Covid if the team has to travel for the tournament; some folks may view the NIT as a “second tier” type of or uninteresting, not entertaining tournament compared to the big dance; there is always the possibility of one and done and an early exit which may hurt the team’s confidence; there are probably more negatives.

It appears the 2021 NIT is still going to happen. Teams don’t have to have a .500 record anymore as a requirement to qualify for the NIT.

If Duke got offered a spot in the 2021 NIT, would you accept it or decline it? Why?
    I would be inclined to accept it - building blocks for next year, better sense of your team, make up for missed games early in the season. Also, show your young guys that nothing - nothing! - is a given, even at Duke.

I suspect given how vocal K has been about the health risks of the season, he would opt out. And he would also get crushed for it by the media. But I suspect that will bother this board more than it bothers a coach with five rings.

Decline. The entire season was played for TV revenue for athletic departments. We've fulfilled our obligation after the loss in the ACC Tournament. I think we can make more progress toward next season concentrating on academics and offseason workouts.

The 4th youngest team in the country can use more games. If we get an invite and think it is reasonably safe to play, we should play.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The 4th youngest team in the country can use more games. If we get an invite and think it is reasonably safe to play, we should play.
    I agree we should. But would we?

Agree. I remember when Gary Williams said his Terp team would not play in the NIT. It was quickly announced by the Athletic Department that Maryland would accept an invitation. That was money -- Duke's decision may be as you suggest.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Agree Completely

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Decline. The entire season was played for TV revenue for athletic departments. We've fulfilled our obligation after the loss in the ACC Tournament. I think we can make more progress toward next season concentrating on academics and offseason workouts.
    Makes no sense to me to continue these made for TV games. However if K and the team vote Yes then I guess I am ok with it.

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Decline. The entire season was played for TV revenue for athletic departments.
    Dissent about this. Yes, the revenue was important for many schools, but the kids really, really wanted to play. They did not play out of an obligation. They played because they love basketball and thirst to get better at it. Practicing and playing games is the only way to do that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

It hit home last night when I tried to get the final score of the ND game on ESPN but it wasn’t displaying like normal. Then I realized I had been conditioned after all these decades of success that it only showed top 25 team results and I had to select all other teams to see Duke lost again at home. We need to be comfortable with being “other teams” in terms of win success on the court this season. At the same time, and more importantly, the young athletes on this team seem like smart, thoughtful, and hardworking people who will make this community proud off the court. So I root for their success and hope for them to win out. Part of that success is playing basketball together on tv against opponents as much as they can, albeit within the ethical margins of being safe during a pandemic, so that they continue to develop together but also to showcase their top talent for getting to the next level. NBA scouts and front office watch any and all tournaments for talent assessment and there are a couple players who have struggled this year who are destined to the NBA but would benefit from more games both to improve as a team in addition to their individual careers. Many great seasons were predicated by the previous season and being motivated by what wasn’t achieved, but more so, by learning what their strengths and weaknesses are, then growing from it. Many look at the NIT as the D league of tourneys. It’s true and I’ll admit I don’t watch it or care. But before it’s dismissed, it should be looked at as an opportunity for more growth and exposure for the team. Duke and Kentucky in the NIT as a brand would bring much needed attention and look, that may be far below their standards, but in the context of such a challenging year, none of this amounts to a ‘hill of beans.’ If Duke doesn’t get into the NCAA — 8 ball says ‘appears eminent’ — the NIT should be evaluated for what opportunity does it provide? As opposed to thinking, we are trying to be ‘king of the dipsh*ts’ — it’s a matter of — do you want to have a go at it and have one more game to play together and grow as a team, regardless of the prestige or outcome? Because let’s face it this team as it plays now would struggle to go far even in the NIT — but if they are growing and improving as a team — why not? Humility and picking yourself up off the mat is a hard but valuable lesson not lost on Coach K and not playing is potentially saying as a team, ‘we give up on each other and this season.’ However in the context of a pandemic it’s a lot more complicated and safety should be the top priority. For now I’ll root for Duke to win out. And what ever happens after the regular season is up to the team and coaches. What they decide will be in the best interest of the team and the game but won’t really even be thought about by them until and if that situation arises. Joel: “looks like University of Illinois!!”

I wonder if Johnson would opt not to play - like Ben Simmons did and similar to how college football players with NFL dreams don't play in non-playoff bowl games. Personally I think it would be kinda fun.

Is there even going to be an NIT? I would think that we don't play. Why expose the team to more potential illness and injury? Will a few more games in empty gyms really provide that much more experience? I say, get home, lick you wounds and start figuring out what's the game plan for next year.

PS this assumes we don't win the ACC tournament and then find a 6 (or gulp, seven game) win streak in Indiana for another title. A guy can dream,

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the last time a Coach K Duke team played in the NIT was 1980-1981. That was Coach K’s first year at Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like the last time a Coach K Duke team played in the NIT was 1980-1981. That was Coach K’s first year at Duke.
    That is correct. We played well until Banks broke his wrist. If that hadn’t occurred, may have gone far.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    At the pace we are going, an INT invite is optimistic. (I'd go if we get one, though)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

NCAA Final Four of Baylor, Gonzaga, Texas Tech, and Alabama.

NIT Final Four of Duke, Kentucky, Michigan State, and UNC/Indiana.

Which gets the higher TV ratings?

I'm not ready to completely write off the NCAA tourney, but it's a VERY low probability at this point. That said...

From a team development perspective, playing in the NIT is better than not. It's certainly better from an optics perspective to not turn down an invitation too. The former is more meaningful than the later to Coach K, I'm sure.

Hopefully by the time the tourneys start, the disease is not as prevalent as it currently is. But I could certainly see Coach K making the argument that the team should stay home instead of going to a less meaningful tournament on safety grounds.

We'll see. Hopefully it's moot, and hopefully it is moot in a positive sense. But we'll see.

I agree that the decision comes down to safety and where COVID is in terms of vaccines and such, but assuming it is being held and everyone seems it to be an acceptable level of risk, then I think yes you absolutely accept an invitation. Getting our guys some tournament experience in a big arena, possibly in front of a small number of fans, would be great as we build towards next season. I don’t worry too much about the potential negative consequences of losing early, by the time next season comes nobody will really care about that anymore.

If the NIT can create a bubble, then it’s probably safer than what they’re doing now. This team can use some more competitive games to prepare for next year. Nevertheless, if Jalen’s foot continues to be an issue he may wish to opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    At the pace we are going, an INT invite is optimistic. (I'd go if we get one, though)
    Wish we had more of those this past Fall.

Only valuable if all the young pieces are coming back.